U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2018, 10:48 AM

23,125 posts, read 35,958,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
Wasn't a significant change. Kemp is still at 50.3%.
Meanwhile, the margin narrows with every new vote counted.

Read the article. At the crux of the contretemps is just how many votes remain to be counted. Kemp's camp is claiming that there are not enough uncounted votes to make a difference (backed up, of course, by the SoS's office); Abrams' camp claims there are, and provided a county by county tally to back up their assertion. And how many of these uncounted votes are from urban counties?

"The focus is on the remaining provisional ballots and other votes still yet to be counted. The secretary of state’s office – recently vacated by Kemp – reports 21,190 provisional ballots, many of them yet untallied. There is also a maximum of 3,291 remaining military absentee ballots.

The Abrams campaign asserts that the total number of uncounted votes is actually about 10,000 votes higher, including roughly 4,000 early votes and vote-by-mail ballots it has identified.

And it provided the AJC with a county-by-county tally it conducted with local elections offices that showed nearly 27,000 provisionals."

https://www.ajc.com/blog/politics/ge...9NXH8NxXcovbM/

Some see Abrams as intractable and a poor loser.
Some see Kemp as a despot using his bully pulpit to get his way.

So it goes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2018, 11:03 AM
Status: "Dependence is the real misfortune, not inequality. Voltaire" (set 10 days ago)

8,372 posts, read 4,615,751 times
I knew well where you were headed and what you inferred when you quickly attached the CNN article.

Mentioned in the article, complete with a Jim Webb, former Democratic Senator for Virginia, 2007-2013, took issue with an earlier characterization of the phrase 'cotton-picking', or pick'n, as being racist. Only those who are overly-sensitive or wish to squelch conversation jump so quickly at offense. Former Senator Webb did briefly consider running for president but decided not to, due his 'discomfort with many of his political party's positions'. (wikipedia)

From your posted CNN article.

Quote:
In a post written shortly after the Bossie incident, former Virginia Democratic Sen. Jim Webb wrote a response in part to Joel Payne, the strategist to whom Bossie made the remark. Webb wrote about the origins of the phrase "cotton picker," and defended it as a long-used phrase in the South that had no racist connotation.

I won't exert his comments as you can read them below. Feel free to agree or disagree. You will read them if you are open to real conversation.
http://www.jameswebb.com/news/my-cotton-pickin-mama
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Forgive me for having zero tolerance for racist dog whistling, as well as complicity towards it.

Old 11-11-2018, 11:08 AM

4,154 posts, read 1,528,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
I knew well where you were headed and what you inferred...
I didn't infer anything. My point was clear.

In any event, as much as I would like to continue the discussion, I'm sure it will be deleted for being off-topic. But I still stand by what I said earlier as far as your comparison to Perdue being an endorsement for Kemp.

Old 11-11-2018, 01:04 PM

1,183 posts, read 1,625,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
Kemp is of the Purdue camp; Sonny and David. Relax. As a conservative I fear no politician, though I may oppose their policies.
I would hope more Deal than Perdue, but since the Perdues love love love the President you are probably correct. I don't fear any of them. I disagree with southern religious conservatives and their policies as do many national business people so I am hoping for more of Deal's common sense approaches. I would hate to have a NC or Indiana fiasco that damages our economy and to a larger extent our reputation. The jury is still out as to how far Kemp will let the far right branches of the state party go. We will see soon enough. My guess is it will become apparent during this first legislative session.

Old 11-11-2018, 02:45 PM

679 posts, read 342,382 times
"Fulton County, which on Friday reported rejecting 1,556 of the total 3,722 provisional ballots cast. Nearly 1,000 of the ballots were disqualified because they were out of county, and another 581 were not registered to vote. Three were rejected because they weren’t U.S. citizens."

They didn't know in which county to vote?

Old 11-11-2018, 06:12 PM

724 posts, read 223,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDawg View Post
"Fulton County, which on Friday reported rejecting 1,556 of the total 3,722 provisional ballots cast. Nearly 1,000 of the ballots were disqualified because they were out of county, and another 581 were not registered to vote. Three were rejected because they weren’t U.S. citizens."

They didn't know in which county to vote?
Abrams suit today requires they count all provisionals where person voted in wrong County. Do they realize how many of these votes likely are illegal votes where the person voted two times? How can you justify that? I am all good with counting a person who went to wrong location but come on. You can’t count votes twice

Old 11-12-2018, 06:46 AM

679 posts, read 342,382 times
Apparently her campaign is.

Old 11-12-2018, 07:27 AM

976 posts, read 413,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
Hold the phone.

https://www.ajc.com/blog/politics/ge...9NXH8NxXcovbM/

Small wonder Kemp is so hot to have Abrams concede.

Outside of voter fraud it is literally impossible for Abrams to force a runoff. We have known this since last week. The numbers aren't there.

Old 11-12-2018, 11:59 AM

5,564 posts, read 3,594,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
Outside of voter fraud it is literally impossible for Abrams to force a runoff. We have known this since last week. The numbers aren't there.
True. And it was mass suppression which got us there.

Old 11-12-2018, 12:45 PM

7,120 posts, read 3,341,972 times
It's over. Abrams should concede.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or