Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2018, 01:42 AM

6,479 posts, read 7,161,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Located on the southern end of this Georgia barrier island, the Wanderer Memory Trail is nestled along the banks of the Jekyll River, near the point where the Wanderer illegally came ashore Nov. 28, 1858, with more than 400 enslaved Africans on board.

The new trail walks visitors through the true story of Umwalla, a young African boy brought to America on that ship 160 years ago this month. Through a series of interactive exhibits along the trail, the pieces of Umwalla’s journey are unveiled — from capture to freedom.

The slave ship Wanderer originally was built as a stately and swift luxury yacht, which helped disguise its secret, illegal transport of enslaved Africans from West Africa to America. Physical changes had been made internally to the ship, so that hundreds of slaves could be callously packed into the vessel.
https://www.savannahnow.com/entertai...-to-land-in-us
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2018, 06:18 AM

1,005 posts, read 728,458 times
Hmmmmm. I’m intrigued but also frightened.

Old 11-24-2018, 01:46 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,362,533 times
Interesting...I didn't know the Gullah had ties to Jekyll Island. I always thought it was more the South/North Carolina coast. I like the candle idea they have. It's important to reflect.

Old 11-24-2018, 08:26 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
Interesting...I didn't know the Gullah had ties to Jekyll Island. I always thought it was more the South/North Carolina coast. I like the candle idea they have. It's important to reflect.
The Gullah in NC is extremely small and the culture has been heavily diluted; most people don't even know the Gullah culture extended as far north as NC. The SC and GA Lowcountry and Sea Islands have the only remaining sizable Gullah communities in the country now.

Old 11-24-2018, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
The Gullah in NC is extremely small and the culture has been heavily diluted; most people don't even know the Gullah culture extended as far north as NC. The SC and GA Lowcountry and Sea Islands have the only remaining sizable Gullah communities in the country now.

I find this really sad. I know it's life and all but I really do find their culture very interesting. Not too educated on the topic but I do wonder if many will end up not being able to stay along the coast. I don't know if it's Tybe Island or what place it was but there were descendants of slaves who lived on the island for generations and some craziness happened where they jacked up exponentially the price of the real estate, which forced many to relocate. It was pretty sad watching it.

Really tired. Good night everyone.

Old 11-25-2018, 07:40 AM

23,438 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
I find this really sad. I know it's life and all but I really do find their culture very interesting. Not too educated on the topic but I do wonder if many will end up not being able to stay along the coast. I don't know if it's Tybe Island or what place it was but there were descendants of slaves who lived on the island for generations and some craziness happened where they jacked up exponentially the price of the real estate, which forced many to relocate. It was pretty sad watching it.
I believe that you are referring to Sapelo Island and the Geechee community of Hog Hammock.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hog_Hammock,_Georgia

Old 11-25-2018, 06:01 PM

1,054 posts, read 880,131 times
Except outsiders can't just go property in Hog Hammock, it's a protected community and the "real estate" market isn't really susceptible to rising prices or even active.

Old 11-26-2018, 05:32 AM

23,438 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayHey View Post
Except outsiders can't just go property in Hog Hammock, it's a protected community and the "real estate" market isn't really susceptible to rising prices or even active.
The privately owned properties on the island certainly are.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...-island-ga_rb/

Old 11-27-2018, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayHey View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
The privately owned properties on the island certainly are.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...-island-ga_rb/

Found this on Wikipedia:

"In the 1990s, mainlanders began acquiring parcels of land from the Gullahs to construct vacation homes. In 2012, McIntosh County property tax appraisers notified Hog Hammock residents of huge property tax increases, even though there was no longer a school on the island. One Hog Hammock property owner's annual tax bill soared from $600 to $2,100. In 2013, a fight over the sudden tax hikes was well underway, with some residents claiming they would be driven from land they had owned for many generations for the benefit of mainlanders who would acquire more of Hog Hammock's homes.[5][6]"

This is why I can see the importance of keeping mainlanders/outsiders out of their community (not saying they tried to). It probably only took a few to cause such havoc. Pretty sure they knew exactly what they were doing.

Old 01-04-2019, 05:39 PM

399 posts, read 819,940 times
I discovered this story last month and I was surprised that an illegal slave ship came in 1858, I've never heard of it before. When you think that it just happened 160 years ago...

Apparently most of the enslaved people were from the Congo (DRC).

Is Family legend about a slave ship true ?

Quote:
I don't think the Wanderer survivors were part of the Gullah people, they already existed before. Most of the Wanderer passengers settled in the Edgefield/Augusta area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia