Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 04:02 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,695,422 times

Advertisements

I actually agree with FarRight on one point. She would make a great VP for Sanders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2019, 04:57 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,890,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
I actually agree with FarRight on one point. She would make a great VP for Sanders.
Anybody who ran in 2016 needs to be seated this go 'round.

Old 01-25-2019, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Anybody who ran in 2016 needs to be seated this go 'round.
I'm just going to say that I disagree and leave it at that.

Old 01-25-2019, 06:27 PM

815 posts, read 707,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Yes ITA. She would shore him up with the voters he needs the help with most--older black Southern females.

It will be so interesting to see who wins the primary. I see Biden as Hillary 2.0. He is gong to have a hard time as centrist Dem in a party that is quickly shifting left. I also don't see Kamala Harris, Beto O'Rourke and Corey Booker going anywhere. After Obama, many progressives don't want to be burned by another charismatic candidate who campaigns as a liberal but starts kicking the hippies as soon as they're in office. Beto has voted with Trump way too many times to get the progressives on board.

I think Sanders has a good shot because I think the primary is going to be all about policy and not just personality. He has been at this a long time and his record is solid. But it really could be anybody's game.

Old 01-26-2019, 06:32 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,229,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDreaming01 View Post
Yes ITA. She would shore him up with the voters he needs the help with most--older black Southern females.

It will be so interesting to see who wins the primary. I see Biden as Hillary 2.0. He is gong to have a hard time as centrist Dem in a party that is quickly shifting left. I also don't see Kamala Harris, Beto O'Rourke and Corey Booker going anywhere. After Obama, many progressives don't want to be burned by another charismatic candidate who campaigns as a liberal but starts kicking the hippies as soon as they're in office. Beto has voted with Trump way too many times to get the progressives on board.

I think Sanders has a good shot because I think the primary is going to be all about policy and not just personality. He has been at this a long time and his record is solid. But it really could be anybody's game.
I think going far left will be entertaining. And will ensure another 4 years of Trump.

Old 01-26-2019, 08:55 AM

815 posts, read 707,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
I think going far left will be entertaining. And will ensure another 4 years of Trump.
I don’t agree. Hillary was a centrist and got creamed. Can’t do the same thing and expect different results. Progressive policies poll well and Millennials on the whole are very far left. Also, the dems recaptured the house by a wide margin at the same time many candidates shifted decidedly left—AOC being a case in point.

So I don’t see why they would be shifting shifting right when that has produced disastrous results and shifting left has been working well.

Old 01-26-2019, 09:06 AM

7,352 posts, read 6,520,959 times
Hillary was NOT a centrist by any stretch.

Old 01-26-2019, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDreaming01 View Post
I don’t agree. Hillary was a centrist and got creamed. Can’t do the same thing and expect different results. Progressive policies poll well and Millennials on the whole are very far left. Also, the dems recaptured the house by a wide margin at the same time many candidates shifted decidedly left—AOC being a case in point.

So I don’t see why they would be shifting shifting right when that has produced disastrous results and shifting left has been working well.
Polling and reality are two different things.

And many Millennials are now at the point where they are buying houses and raising families. Many of them would face a hefty tax increase to pay for the “free” programs being touted. I don’t think you can call an entire generation “very far left” except maybe in California.

AOC is not a good example, she is an edge case. Deepest perma-blue district with extensive poverty, poor education and extremely low turnout. She ran on a “chicken in every pot” type of campaign and the fact she has Puerto Rican blood and is from the Bronx (which she left at age 5). If anything, her antics over the next couple of years will show people how unrealistic the “progressive” agenda can be.

AOC gets press, but the math doesn’t add up.

What I do agree it will do is turn the Democrat primary process further left. But if someone like Harris wins the primary she will still struggle to win. But maybe I’m wrong. I just hope some whacko doesn’t get in with a supermajority that massively raises taxes from the “haves” to give to the “have nots”.

Again, I’m not against many laudable programs like universal healthcare. But I’m a high-information voter and want specifics. I’m also in favor of reducing the size of our current government and its spending. Much of this should be then taken up at the state level.

Back to Abrams...

If the sentiment is to go super progressive nationally, I’m sure that will play well in the ATL metro. It will not in the rural areas and it will be another hard fight, with her going against an incumbent. I think if a leftist progressive is elected in 2020 as President it would harm her chances in 2022, so she should run in 2020.

Old 01-26-2019, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Hillary was NOT a centrist by any stretch.
She was to “progressives” who are in favor of 70% income tax rates, high capital gains taxes, minimum guaranteed wages and universal social programs. She’s practically right wing.

Old 01-26-2019, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Polling and reality are two different things.

And many Millennials are now at the point where they are buying houses and raising families. Many of them would face a hefty tax increase to pay for the “free” programs being touted. I don’t think you can call an entire generation “very far left” except maybe in California.

AOC is not a good example, she is an edge case. Deepest perma-blue district with extensive poverty, poor education and extremely low turnout. She ran on a “chicken in every pot” type of campaign and the fact she has Puerto Rican blood and is from the Bronx (which she left at age 5). If anything, her antics over the next couple of years will show people how unrealistic the “progressive” agenda can be.

AOC gets press, but the math doesn’t add up.

What I do agree it will do is turn the Democrat primary process further left. But if someone like Harris wins the primary she will still struggle to win. But maybe I’m wrong. I just hope some whacko doesn’t get in with a supermajority that massively raises taxes from the “haves” to give to the “have nots”.

Again, I’m not against many laudable programs like universal healthcare. But I’m a high-information voter and want specifics. I’m also in favor of reducing the size of our current government and its spending. Much of this should be then taken up at the state level.

Back to Abrams...

If the sentiment is to go super progressive nationally, I’m sure that will play well in the ATL metro. It will not in the rural areas and it will be another hard fight, with her going against an incumbent. I think if a leftist progressive is elected in 2020 as President it would harm her chances in 2022, so she should run in 2020.
A progressive candidate like Bernie Sanders doesn't need Georgia to win.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia