Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2019, 04:28 PM

1,388 posts, read 2,256,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otakumaster View Post
According to this law women who leave the state to have an abortion where it’s legal would be charged with conspiracy to murder when they came back. Women are basically slaves in this state now.
That is unenforceable unless a state allowing abortion has a law mandating reporting which would never happen. This is a measure aimed directly at poor women since women with means can leave the state, region, or even nation.

The Republicans are betting it will get tied up in court so it doesn't actually happen but they can preach to the evangelical base that those liberal judges are fighting the will of the people and you must keep electing us to replace them. Now, if for some reason it actually did become enforceable law....all heck would break loose and the GOP would get punished.

Old 05-11-2019, 08:58 AM

651 posts, read 476,179 times
What are the chances this is constitutional?

Any lawyers out there?

Old 05-11-2019, 10:21 AM

4,413 posts, read 3,471,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
The nation’s strictest abortion law, making it a felony
to receive an abortion, with no exception for rape or
incest is a triumph for the unborn of this great nation.

There is exception for rape/incest. A police report needs to be filed.

Old 05-11-2019, 11:52 AM

5,845 posts, read 6,156,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
What could possibly go wrong.

Where are the conservative men lining up to go get vasectomies? I thought that it took two to reproduce.

Old 05-11-2019, 12:05 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,496,468 times
The list of Hollywood actresses who are talking of boycotting Georgia in the aftermath of Kemp's signing of the 'Heartbeat bill' into law appears to be growing.

From CBS Los Angeles:
Quote:
HOLLYWOOD (CBSLA) — A new restrictive law passed in Georgia meant to limit women seeking abortions has Hollywood actresses saying the B word — as in “boycott.”

CBS2/KCAL9 reporter Jeff Nguyen attended the Race to Erase MS event Friday evening at the Beverly Hilton. The abortion law had everyone on the red carpet talking. He said “reaction was strong.”
"New Abortion Law Has Hollywood Actresses With Georgia — And Boycotts — On Their Minds" (CBS Los Angeles)

Old 05-11-2019, 02:07 PM

6,587 posts, read 4,972,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post

Because everyone believes the 13 year old that says mommy's new boyfriend or Uncle Billy did it.

(I'm not saying that's what you believe)

Old 05-11-2019, 03:40 PM

3 posts, read 4,386 times
Have there been any published estimates of the legal costs that the state taxpayers will be forking over to defend this law?

Clearly the bill is intended to be struck down and appealed several times until it reaches the Supreme Court which I am sure doesn't come cheap.

I rather suspect the money could be better spent on, for example, oh I don't know, maybe improving women's health care, rather than feeding the egos of some lawmakers and boosting their status as Brave Hero's of the Republican Party.

Old 05-11-2019, 03:51 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,156,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radvan View Post
Have there been any published estimates of the legal costs that the state taxpayers will be forking over to defend this law?

Clearly the bill is intended to be struck down and appealed several times until it reaches the Supreme Court which I am sure doesn't come cheap.

I rather suspect the money could be better spent on, for example, oh I don't know, maybe improving women's health care, rather than feeding the egos of some lawmakers and boosting their status as Brave Hero's of the Republican Party.
Or building new stadiums.

Old 05-11-2019, 05:23 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,705,570 times
Quote:

Or better yet, on transit.

Old 05-11-2019, 06:49 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,496,468 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Or better yet, on transit.
Or seriously on women's health care and health care in general.

The people pushing this punitive six-week abortion ban say that they are doing so because they care so much about life, yet they do not seem to be bothered by the statistics that Georgia reportedly has the highest maternal mortality rate in the entire nation.

It seems that getting the shockingly high rates of women who die during childbirth lowered would be (and should be) much more of a priority than yet more grandstanding and demagoguing on the issue of abortion.

But grandstanding and demagoguing on the issue of abortion probably is much easier and much more convenient, isn't it?

Grandstanding and demagoguing on the issue of abortion while seemingly just completely ignoring other pressing public health issues (like the high rate of unplanned pregnancies, the shockingly high maternal mortality rate, the high rates of STD infections in the state, the high rates of Georgians with no health insurance and inadequate health insurance, etc.) also sends a clear signal and a clear message about where the priorities of this state's leadership lies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia