Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2019, 10:58 AM

2,378 posts, read 1,301,778 times

Advertisements

I have been on this forum for quite a while. I first began when my wife was looking into Virginia about 5 years ago. It worked out pretty damn well. She landed a job because of this forum. We found a place to live and for my wife to teach. Now I’m retiring and we are looking to move into a warmer climate. We are looking into Florida (teachers don’t seem to be paid well). Also Hawaii believe it or not; where teachers do get paid well, but cost of living is expensive, but the big issue is being far from family, and now Georgia where teachers seems to get paid well and the cost of living is excellent and close to family. So lately we are leaning toward northern Georgia. The way we see it is if we can’t have absolutely no winter in Florida or Hawaii and no beach, we want mountains and lakes. Georgia seems to fit that bill. We are just trying to keep our options open.

My wife is an secondary English teacher, is there a need for her content area in northern Georgia? I did
Read an article that the state is suffering from a Teacher shortage in science and math and now English Language Arts. It’s advertised departments are feeling the strain in finding teachers.

We would be willing to look around the surrounding areas of Atlanta, but we both prefer rural type living where the mountains with fishing and kayaking would be fun. Politics is no big deal. We are both Christians and conservatives. We like to listen to everyone’s view and enjoy the free exchange of ideas.

We are not very interested in south of Atalanta. Yes, there are some nice towns and so forth, but I think we prefer rural north.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2019, 02:19 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,160,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyfinestbxtf View Post
I have been on this forum for quite a while. I first began when my wife was looking into Virginia about 5 years ago. It worked out pretty damn well. She landed a job because of this forum. We found a place to live and for my wife to teach. Now I’m retiring and we are looking to move into a warmer climate. We are looking into Florida (teachers don’t seem to be paid well). Also Hawaii believe it or not; where teachers do get paid well, but cost of living is expensive, but the big issue is being far from family, and now Georgia where teachers seems to get paid well and the cost of living is excellent and close to family. So lately we are leaning toward northern Georgia. The way we see it is if we can’t have absolutely no winter in Florida or Hawaii and no beach, we want mountains and lakes. Georgia seems to fit that bill. We are just trying to keep our options open.

My wife is an secondary English teacher, is there a need for her content area in northern Georgia? I did
Read an article that the state is suffering from a Teacher shortage in science and math and now English Language Arts. It’s advertised departments are feeling the strain in finding teachers.

We would be willing to look around the surrounding areas of Atlanta, but we both prefer rural type living where the mountains with fishing and kayaking would be fun. Politics is no big deal. We are both Christians and conservatives. We like to listen to everyone’s view and enjoy the free exchange of ideas.

We are not very interested in south of Atalanta. Yes, there are some nice towns and so forth, but I think we prefer rural north.
If you’re looking more suburban/urban you may want to check out Cherokee County and Forsyth County which are both in the northern Atlanta metro area and growing like gang busters (usually growth means increasing enrollment). Both are within 30-45 minutes of lakes or mountain towns but still within reach of Atlanta proper.

I can’t advise on the salary/hiring details though, sorry.

Old 07-13-2019, 02:28 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,420,027 times
Stay in the North Fulton area.

Good luck

Old 07-14-2019, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
If you’re looking more suburban/urban you may want to check out Cherokee County and Forsyth County which are both in the northern Atlanta metro area and growing like gang busters (usually growth means increasing enrollment). Both are within 30-45 minutes of lakes or mountain towns but still within reach of Atlanta proper.

I can’t advise on the salary/hiring details though, sorry.
We were really looking more rural to live, but my wife can commute 20-30 miles. So it seems she can teach in those two counties and we can live a little further north where it is more rural.

Old 07-14-2019, 05:26 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,160,883 times
Quote:
We were really looking more rural to live, but my wife can commute 20-30 miles. So it seems she can teach in those two counties and we can live a little further north where it is more rural.
Or you can look at more rural counties like Gilmer and Fannin. I suspect the pay and student growth will be less as the population is less too.

Old 07-14-2019, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Or you can look at more rural counties like Gilmer and Fannin. I suspect the pay and student growth will be less as the population is less too.
Sometimes those rural schools have higher turnover rates. We will have to go where she gets an offer. She is going to apply to a bunch of different counties and see what happens. She will apply to some of the suburban counties outside Atlanta too.

Just curious, when do you start getting leaves on trees in northern Georgia from Atlanta up into the mountains and when do the leaves start changing in the fall?

Old 07-14-2019, 06:26 PM

1 posts, read 587 times
As a teacher in Florida, definitely agree that the pay is not fantastic. And it's hot. No seasons, and mostly flat. . We, too, are considering N. Georgia as a relocation spot, and I will also be looking for a teaching position (elementary ed).

Old 07-14-2019, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley2013 View Post
As a teacher in Florida, definitely agree that the pay is not fantastic. And it's hot. No seasons, and mostly flat. . We, too, are considering N. Georgia as a relocation spot, and I will also be looking for a teaching position (elementary ed).
I do hear after a while the heat gets to many people, but I’m sure the winters are very pleasant. The best of
Luck to you and your family.

Old 07-14-2019, 07:53 PM

1,500 posts, read 5,089,592 times
Take a look at North Hall county. Still rural in character with pretty good schools, but just a short drive to the mountains to the north and the shopping and healthcare of Gainesville to the south. Plus, it’s a quick jaunt over to GA 400 for destinations closer to Atlanta including Cumming, Alpharetta, and other affluent areas. And it’s a conservative area with lots of churches.

Old 07-15-2019, 08:10 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,130,080 times
Quote:

Just curious, when do you start getting leaves on trees in northern Georgia from Atlanta up into the mountains and when do the leaves start changing in the fall?
Varies from year to year as does the amount of "color" depending on the summer rainfall. Peak color usually occurs in way North Georgia (mountains) mid to end of October. It can still be pretty at Thanksgiving. As far as when we get leaves that too is different end of February to March but yet I've seen snow flurries in April. Two years ago we had a snowfall of a foot (although it didn't last at all)... this past winter, we got a dusting that lasted about two hours. The only weather you should base North Georgia on is rain. We are considered a temperate rainforest and believe it or not usually average more rain than Seattle. Although we also have a lot more sunshine than they do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia