Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 08:08 AM

913 posts, read 2,973,053 times

Advertisements

I-85 toward LaGrange and Columbus is the next growth corridor. Kia is helping. Plenty of cheap land to develop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2008, 08:24 AM

23,318 posts, read 43,781,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLCOL1 View Post
I-85 toward LaGrange and Columbus is the next growth corridor. Kia is helping. Plenty of cheap land to develop.
The proposed extention of I-185 from Columbus to Panama City would be huge for Columbus, too. Hope it happens.

Old 10-21-2008, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
The proposed extention of I-185 from Columbus to Panama City would be huge for Columbus, too. Hope it happens.
A study is being done right now. The 4-laning of Hwy 431 is about to be finished. There is only a small portion south of Phenix City that is under construction. Once that is complete, it will be 4-laned from Columbus all of the way to Panama City.

Also, the I-14 corridor from Mississippi thru Montgomery on over to Columbus then on to Macon and Augusta is planned as well. A study is being conducted at this time. That would be huge as well. It will be interesting to see how it plays out. Columbus would benefit greatly.

Old 10-21-2008, 10:00 AM

23,318 posts, read 43,781,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLCOL1 View Post
A study is being done right now. The 4-laning of Hwy 431 is about to be finished. There is only a small portion south of Phenix City that is under construction. Once that is complete, it will be 4-laned from Columbus all of the way to Panama City.

Also, the I-14 corridor from Mississippi thru Montgomery on over to Columbus then on to Macon and Augusta is planned as well. A study is being conducted at this time. That would be huge as well. It will be interesting to see how it plays out. Columbus would benefit greatly.
Agreed; IMO the lack of interstate access has really held Columbus back.

Old 10-21-2008, 10:23 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,784,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post

Isn't there a push to have this go thru Albany and on to Tallahassee instead of to Panama City?

Old 10-21-2008, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Isn't there a push to have this go thru Albany and on to Tallahassee instead of to Panama City?
It is slated to go that way. The study should be done in a few months. I know Columbus and Albany officials are really pushing for it.

Old 10-21-2008, 12:47 PM

215 posts, read 598,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt8325 View Post
what about on I-20 from Atlanta to Birmingham ?
I hope I-20 from Birmingham to Atlanta to Augusta to Columbia, sc.

That's why in the long run I know Augusta will benefit sooner or later. Because its between Atlanta and Columbia. That land between Augusta - Atl, and Aug-Cola will be developed after while.

Old 10-21-2008, 01:12 PM

606 posts, read 1,998,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
I'm not so sure it is the least developed...a few years ago maybe, but things have begun to shift in recent years. You might not be able to see all of the development driving on I20, but there is a lot of it just off the highway. Does anyone remember Thornton Rd about 15 years ago? It was VERY sleepy and hardly developed at all. Today it is not pretty, but is consistently busy and built up all the way past Bankhead Highway through Hiram to Paulding County. Several new schools have been added to Douglas, Habersham, and other counties along the I20 west route, so I know the population growth is booming out that way.

I20 east has gobs of development all through Dekalb and beyond...

I75, I85 and I285 on the south side is the next big development area...Peachtree City, Fairburn, Union City, Palmetto, Fayetteville - all experiencing explosive growth. Creekside High School in Fairburn had the largest enrollment in Fulton County Schools a couple of years ago...a new high school has been built since then to alleviate the overcrowding and 3 new elementary schools have opened since then. I taught at E.C. West in Fairburn, and our enrollment went from 487 in 1999 to 1,200 in 2005. It was a nightmare!
Habersham is not west of ATL, it's in the mountains.

Old 10-21-2008, 04:04 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,784,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt8325 View Post
Habersham is not west of ATL, it's in the mountains.
Probably meant Haralson County. That and Carroll County are the only ones left past Douglas before you get to Alabama.

Old 10-22-2008, 11:53 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,207,658 times
I don't know. Although gas prices have gone down I still think that people are going to get away from that type of growth too. I live in the Washington DC area now and people have all these super long commutes in order to save money on housing. Atlanta's home prices are nowhere near as high as DC's and I just think Atlanta is going to reach it's limit. Long commutes just aren't as trendy as they used to be. Now I'm not preaching the gospel. But now that I live in the DC area suburban is certainly more desireable I look at the houses in my price range that are a 45 minute to an hour commute from work and I fall in love but not enough to endure the commute everyday nor spend more money filling my suv. The same trend I'm sure is going to follow in Atlanta just look at places like Atlantic Station.

Also inner-city Atlanta has a lot going for it and I think it's too desireable to hollow out again. At least that's my opinion. So no long commutes suck and Columbus, Augusta, Macon and Chattanooga will stay seperate cities. That's my prediction. Call me at 1900 1-sucker and I'll give you your lucky numbers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia