U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2019, 01:48 PM

8,766 posts, read 4,569,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
This is a blatant misrepresentation of what transpired.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/st...ms-back-taxes/

Tragic that a black woman is castigated for taking responsibility for her family's financial difficulties, but a white man gets a free pass for far more egregious activity.
Oh please. This discussion is not about Kemp so stop shifting the discussion. Start your own thread on that.

I do applaud her for helping her family; I do something similar with my own, but not as tragic as her situation.

But - she has over $200K in debt which she is paying off. Never said she wasn’t addressing it, but she knowingly chose to not pay her taxes on time.

https://www.ajc.com/blog/politics/ge...vDt8KsXpGaaaK/

“The campaign said in a statement that Abrams deferred her tax payments in 2015 and 2016 because she was helping to pay her family’s expenses and that she is on a payment plan with the IRS for the $54,000 she owes.”

That’s nicely phrased, but the IRS doesn’t let you choose. She owed April 15 each year but decided to underpay her taxes.

She also received a large book advance, so presumably she’s spending time writing now, otherwise she has to return the $150K. Had she won the governor’s race I don’t know how she would have found the time to write a book and also be our governor, but it’s certainly possible.

But she’s also supporting 2 households and paying off a ton of debt, for the prospect of a decent but not extremely generous salary (even as a US Senator.) Seems to me that the sensible thing would be to hold off on politics, put her prestigious law degree and writing skills to use, pay everything off and then run again without this cloud over her head. But that’s why she is in politics and I’m not. Everyone that seems to win office ends up a millionaire when they leave.

Old 04-17-2019, 03:31 PM

23,120 posts, read 36,432,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Oh please. This discussion is not about Kemp so stop shifting the discussion. Start your own thread on that.

I do applaud her for helping her family; I do something similar with my own, but not as tragic as her situation.

But - she has over $200K in debt which she is paying off. Never said she wasn’t addressing it, but she knowingly chose to not pay her taxes on time.

https://www.ajc.com/blog/politics/ge...vDt8KsXpGaaaK/

“The campaign said in a statement that Abrams deferred her tax payments in 2015 and 2016 because she was helping to pay her family’s expenses and that she is on a payment plan with the IRS for the $54,000 she owes.”

That’s nicely phrased, but the IRS doesn’t let you choose. She owed April 15 each year but decided to underpay her taxes.

She also received a large book advance, so presumably she’s spending time writing now, otherwise she has to return the $150K. Had she won the governor’s race I don’t know how she would have found the time to write a book and also be our governor, but it’s certainly possible.

But she’s also supporting 2 households and paying off a ton of debt, for the prospect of a decent but not extremely generous salary (even as a US Senator.) Seems to me that the sensible thing would be to hold off on politics, put her prestigious law degree and writing skills to use, pay everything off and then run again without this cloud over her head. But that’s why she is in politics and I’m not. Everyone that seems to win office ends up a millionaire when they leave.
Again, crickets on your boy Kemp.

Old 04-17-2019, 04:02 PM

8,766 posts, read 4,569,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
Again, crickets on your boy Kemp.
What is your problem? Start a thread if you want to complain about him. This is a thread about Abrams.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia