U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2019, 10:55 AM

1 posts, read 464 times

Advertisements

Hey There!
I work in Law Enforcement in Philadelphia. I'll be retiring really soon and I'm so over the city. All I want is peace, relaxation and the ability to commute into the city when need be. I really would like to relocated somewhere in Georgia but I totally don't have a clue! Centerville, Byron, Kathleen???? What would you recommend?? Help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2019, 12:54 AM

6,635 posts, read 6,043,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony 123 View Post
Hey There!
I work in Law Enforcement in Philadelphia. I'll be retiring really soon and I'm so over the city. All I want is peace, relaxation and the ability to commute into the city when need be. I really would like to relocated somewhere in Georgia but I totally don't have a clue! Centerville, Byron, Kathleen???? What would you recommend?? Help!!
If you want to be somewhere that is remotely near the city (the 6 million-inhabitant Atlanta metropolitan area), checkout the scenic North Georgia Mountains.

There are communities that are destinations for retirees in the heavily wooded scenic foothills and ranges of the Blue Ridge and Southern Appalachians north of Atlanta.

Cherokee, Pickens, Dawson, Lumpkin, Gilmer, White, Habersham and Hall counties are good places to look in the Blue Ridge/Southern Appalachian foothills of North Georgia if you want to be closer to Atlanta.

Rabun, Towns, Union and Fannin counties are good places to look if you don't mind and/or desire to be slightly farther away from Atlanta.

Being in the foothill and mountain region of North Georgia puts you close enough to give you good access to the urban and metropolitan amenities of Atlanta without being directly in the endless hustle-and-bustle of the Atlanta metropolitan area, while also putting you very close and immediately adjacent to the scenic and outdoor recreational treasures of the beloved Blue Ridge Mountains region of North Georgia, Western North Carolina and Eastern Tennessee.

Centerville, Byron and Kathleen are good communities in Middle Georgia (in the Warner Robins/Macon area), but do not offer the stellar level of scenic and outdoor recreational amenities and good access to metropolitan amenities on metro Atlanta's amenity-packed Northside that the exurban and rural foothill and mountain areas of North Georgia offer.

If you desire to be near the Atlantic Ocean and have access to two smaller/mid-sized metro regions (Savannah, GA/Hilton Head, SC and Jacksonville, Florida), then Coastal Georgia should be an option.

If one is looking in Georgia for places to retire, the Blue Ridge/Southern Appalachian foothills/mountains region of North Georgia and Coastal Georgia are the two regions that are the most highly recommended in a state like Georgia.

Old 04-13-2019, 01:26 AM

3,842 posts, read 1,522,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony 123 View Post
Hey There!
When you say commute into the city, are you speaking of a large metro city (Atlanta specifically) or basically any place you can shop / eat, or.. are you looking for a more get-away kind of town? (Savannah).

If it were me specifically looking for a place (and this is given I like larger cities) and I wanted to be somewhere rural but easy to commute to a larger city then I would likely choose an exhurb area of Atlanta. Without needing to commute it would be pretty much perfect. Depending on budget that would vary between somewhere around Lake Lanier (N.Cumming, Gainesville, or Flowery Branch area), That or also Hamlton Mill area (I-85 just north of Mall of GA). Commerce might not be too bad either but it wouldn't be a preference of mine. Along the North Western side there is Cartersville, Woodstock, and Canton.. I personally have no preference on any of them except for Woodstock but they are still worth looking into.

On the southern side, it may actually suite your desires better if you don't mind sacrificing alittle recreation around the mountains or Lake Lanier area given alot of Atlanta's development and a large portion of the jobs (and traffic) are mostly on the northern side of Atlanta, although the south does share its fare game of traffic... Homes in Southern Atlanta (with the exception of Peachtree City and Newnan) are generally less costly. Unfortunately, Peachtree City, Newnan would also be my highest preferred of those communities. There is also McDonough and Stockbridge but I've heard those communities have changed for the bad in certain areas.

-------

If looking outside of Atlanta, I'd say anyplace outside of Macon, Savannah, Augusta would be okay. areas neighboring Valdosta and Columbus GA would be second picks for me personally.

Old 04-13-2019, 11:52 AM

1,734 posts, read 1,413,045 times
One word: Atlanta. It's a big metro area about the same size as Philadelphia (6 million) and includes every type of satellite suburb, lifestyle, and living situation you'd ever want. What Atlanta offers is flexibility if you're coming from a large city in the Northeast. I'll second the tip mentioned above: Atlanta's outer reaches offer lots of smaller towns where retirees are moving, such as Blue Ridge, GA. These outer-ring towns have cheaper housing options, low crime, and a relaxed life. You'll run into retirees from all over the country, even Florida (where life is getting expensive). Elsewhere in Georgia, you might consider Athens (the main university town). Savannah and the Sea Islands to its south (Jekyll, St. Simon's) attract retirees from all over, but you'd better love the coastal heat, humidity, and a few biting sand gnats. Overall, I'd say North Georgia -- Atlanta, Athens -- would work better for a Philly guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or