U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2019, 12:15 PM

1,253 posts, read 3,171,121 times

Advertisements

Been in Jacksonville for years and been looking into moving to a smaller town in southern Georgia (or northern Florida). Basically we just want a place with nice people where crime isn't a big issue with somewhat affordable housing & enough basic necessities for kids to keep active within the community. Shopping & eating would be a bonus, but not a huge deal & we're not fancy. Does it exist?

So far I've just been vaguely looking for things like violent crime stats, housing prices, etc & came up with a few counties (but have no idea what they're actually like).

Georgia:
Berrien County
Brantley County
Pierce County

Florida:
Baker County
Suwannee County

It seems the Live Oak area may fit the bill more than others, but I dont know much about it other than looking online. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2019, 12:20 PM

5,790 posts, read 4,012,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerryB View Post
Been in Jacksonville for years and been looking into moving to a smaller town in southern Georgia (or northern Florida). Basically we just want a place with nice people where crime isn't a big issue with somewhat affordable housing & enough basic necessities for kids to keep active within the community. Shopping & eating would be a bonus, but not a huge deal & we're not fancy. Does it exist?

So far I've just been vaguely looking for things like violent crime stats, housing prices, etc & came up with a few counties (but have no idea what they're actually like).

Georgia:
Berrien County
Brantley County
Pierce County

Florida:
Baker County
Suwannee County

It seems the Live Oak area may fit the bill more than others, but I dont know much about it other than looking online. Thanks!
Thomasville, would be be my first choice.

Old 04-30-2019, 12:49 PM

1,253 posts, read 3,171,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
Thomasville, would be be my first choice.
Thank you. We did look into Thomasville years ago, but seems there was a deal breaker. I think it might've been too much crime for our tastes (for being not a large city) and some of the better neighborhoods being too pricey for what you get.

Old 04-30-2019, 01:48 PM

948 posts, read 424,190 times
Seems like north of Valdosta unincorporated Lowndes County is what you're really after. Close enough to the city for shopping and other activities but outside of the poverty and the associated crime which that brings. But really don't be deathly afraid of crime stats, especially the more violent ones like murder and assault, that is highly concentrated in the poorest neighborhoods where gangster stuff happens.

Thomasville is perfectly safe for most law-abiding people, same as Valdosta (well the north parts anyways).

Old 05-01-2019, 11:05 AM

838 posts, read 717,370 times
Liberty, FL
Thomasville, GA
Cairo, GA

All pretty rural with lower people per square mile.. I have property in Thomasville and Cairo for just this reason..

It's not between Charlotte and Atlanta either so it'll likely stay that way for a while

Old 05-01-2019, 04:26 PM

23,125 posts, read 36,356,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerryB View Post
Georgia:
Brantley County
Brantley County is actually part of the Brunswick MSA (pop around 100K) and seems less rural every year as it becomes more suburban in character.

Old 05-01-2019, 07:21 PM

1,989 posts, read 1,594,166 times
Moultrie, Georgia, my father's hometown. is a lovely little town fairly close to Valdosta. It has a beautiful courthouse square, ringed by restaurants and antique and specialty shops and with most every "big box" store you would need on the by-pass. It has friendly people, active churches, and one of the most gorgeous residential areas anchored by South Main Street on its south side that I have seen ANYWHERE in South Georgia; think lovely homes on acreage with beautifully landscaped lots shaded by oak and pecan trees.

Old 05-02-2019, 05:40 PM
bu2

10,768 posts, read 7,099,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton white guy View Post
Moultrie, Georgia, my father's hometown. is a lovely little town fairly close to Valdosta. It has a beautiful courthouse square, ringed by restaurants and antique and specialty shops and with most every "big box" store you would need on the by-pass. It has friendly people, active churches, and one of the most gorgeous residential areas anchored by South Main Street on its south side that I have seen ANYWHERE in South Georgia; think lovely homes on acreage with beautifully landscaped lots shaded by oak and pecan trees.
Lots of great people in Moultrie.

I would still pick Thomasville. Better health care, a little more money, more nice neighborhoods, little closer to the "big" city, Tallahassee.

Old 05-07-2019, 11:53 AM

1,187 posts, read 1,096,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Lots of great people in Moultrie.

I would still pick Thomasville. Better health care, a little more money, more nice neighborhoods, little closer to the "big" city, Tallahassee.
Moultrie is a nice town, but Thomasville is easily the nicest city in South Georgia outside of Savannah and it’s suburbs. And furthermore, surely if a person thinks Thomasville has crime then Moultrie would be off the list too. And Valdosta shouldn’t even be thought of.

Thomasville
Moultrie
Valdosta
Tifton

Those are the only cities I would consider in South GA and in that order. Valdosta is larger, but Thomasville has it beat. It’s not even close. Thomasville is less than 30 mins to Tallahassee, which blows all of Georgia’s 2nd tier cities out of the water except Savannah.

Old 05-07-2019, 11:56 AM

1,187 posts, read 1,096,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJT View Post
Liberty, FL
Thomasville, GA
Cairo, GA

All pretty rural with lower people per square mile.. I have property in Thomasville and Cairo for just this reason..

It's not between Charlotte and Atlanta either so it'll likely stay that way for a while
You know, I forgot about Cairo. It’s a nice town too. It’s a lot smaller than Thomasville though, and it’s farther than a hour from Valdosta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia