U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2019, 12:04 PM

8,573 posts, read 4,508,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
I have avoided saying this, simply out of fear of being labeled something caricaturish. Truth of the matter is everything about Ms Abrams shouts careerist politician.

Even the brouhaha about the closing of polling locations was ginned up to play to a stereotype. Pols are good at that. The truth is polling locations were being adjusted for several years, across many counties. I believe it was 2012 or 13 when Forsyth County both closed and combined several locations. These were County decisions, based on efficiency, management and cost, though encouraged by the state.

I did not bother mentioning this during the 2018 gubernatorial race for the aforementioned reason. What’s the point? Now, is the time though, as the bread crumb trail to Ms Abram’s raison d'être is becoming evident.
And also supporting the whole narrative that Kemp as SoS was in conflict of interest with respect to polling locations, yet it happened elsewhere without incident. And all of the "violations" with respect to removing people from the rolls yet the law and due process was followed and is extremely clear.

Ironically her pedigree is much stronger than the typical "career politician". She has a law degree and is a successful novelist. But perhaps she also has a big ego and sense of self-entitlement that means she needs to run for higher office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2019, 12:08 PM

9,186 posts, read 17,870,946 times
[/QUOTE=earthlyfather;55076957
Even the brouhaha about the closing of polling locations was ginned up to play to a stereotype. Pols are good at that. The truth is polling locations were being adjusted for several years, across many counties. I believe it was 2012 or 13 when Forsyth County both closed and combined several locations. These were County decisions, based on efficiency, management and cost, though encouraged by the state.

[/quote]

Many Counties moved polling locations out of the schools, Many elections, run-offs are held on school days and there are to many to close schools for each, In our heightened Security around schools, You don't want the Doors open and have to monitor general public wander around the schools going to/from the voting location. Moving them (And combining locations) in "Bigger" public and Other available locations is better for the voters and schools.

Last edited by flyonpa; 05-01-2019 at 12:52 PM..

Old 05-01-2019, 02:10 PM

2,580 posts, read 1,767,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDreaming01 View Post
I think she was incredibly selfish to wait so long to announce her plans re the Senate race. Many other potential democratic challengers have been waiting on her decision so they could begin to organize and fundraise. This is now a competitive seat for Democrats and they need all of the help they could get.

It seems that she is really serious about being Biden's VP. To me this seems to be an obvious ploy to get the support of black voters in the South in the primary. However, I don't see Biden winning the primary even if he locks up the black vote. He can't go for five minutes without making a gaffe and he has lots of explaining to do about his record. Even if he does get the nom, I would bet cash money Trump would beat him.

Joining the 20-something other Democrats running in the primary would be equally foolhardy.
Abrams is not the list at this point. If any black woman is under consideration with Biden getting the Democratic nomination is Harris not Abrams.

Old 05-02-2019, 10:32 AM
bu2

10,769 posts, read 7,111,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
"Incredibly selfish" is a good way to describe Abrams.

I liked Abrams at first, but the more exposure she gets, the less ethusiastic I become about her.

She's increasingly making it all about her and her career aspirations, not what's best or practical for the people she claims to want to represent.
She was really pretty solid as a state rep. But she has really turned me off since then.

Old 05-02-2019, 11:24 AM
Status: "Oh,you just become associated with so many crazies. Persson" (set 2 days ago)

8,662 posts, read 4,734,994 times
We all have ceilings. Were we, as a society, not so shallow as to be easily enthralled with firsts, history making and CV brilliance, discernment would weed out many, earlier. Politics is a very sharp elbows, nastiest dirty tricks game. It takes Machiavellian savvy to succeed beyond the local level, which is essentially what a state legislative rep is. Some ascend, most don’t.

Old 05-02-2019, 01:11 PM

820 posts, read 459,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
We all have ceilings. Were we, as a society, not so shallow as to be easily enthralled with firsts, history making and CV brilliance, discernment would weed out many, earlier. Politics is a very sharp elbows, nastiest dirty tricks game. It takes Machiavellian savvy to succeed beyond the local level, which is essentially what a state legislative rep is. Some ascend, most don’t.
Yes I think I did get caught up in her potentially being the first African-American and first female governor. These folks come along and you really want to believe they are who they want you to believe they are. There were troubling signs about Abrams even apart from the IRS issue. She also wasn't forthcoming about where some of her funding was coming from and that was a serious red flag I chose to overlook.

I had thought I had gotten to a point where I was disciplined enough to not be fooled by the flash and dash, but it seems I was in good company. This reminds me how progressives fell in love with Obama and he ended up not being at all the progressive he presented himself to be.

Old 05-02-2019, 02:44 PM

23,125 posts, read 36,381,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
Agreed. She is beyond annoying at this point.
Yes, how dare a heavyset black woman speak her mind in this state? Only sawed-off little Republican white males should do so.
Reading this thread is like listening to the Last Rites being read to Old Georgia. I can even hear the Death Rattle underneath the commentary.

Old 05-02-2019, 03:34 PM

31,839 posts, read 29,532,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
Yes, how dare a heavyset black woman speak her mind in this state? Only sawed-off little Republican white males should do so.
Reading this thread is like listening to the Last Rites being read to Old Georgia. I can even hear the Death Rattle underneath the commentary.
I'm SO glad you said it. Geeeeeeeezzzzzz......

Old 05-02-2019, 05:36 PM
bu2

10,769 posts, read 7,111,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
She's a whiny sore loser who has gone from an effective state representative to a big ego media figure.

Old 05-02-2019, 11:47 PM

425 posts, read 181,776 times
I wouldn't have wanted her as my senator anyway. If she were to set her eyes on the governor role again, the plan to get there is a long one-- not only dealing with people's personal criticisms but also the very real reality that if she were governor with our current assembly, she probably wouldn't be able to make many inroads anyway and would only be able to veto trash bills they'd probably delay for another governor. I'm still with Abrams, but this HQ2-styled reveal is frustrating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or