Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2019, 11:33 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,496,468 times

Advertisements

Georgia Public Service Commissioner Tim Echols chronicled his day driving nine rides as an express driver for Lyft using a Chevy Bolt electric vehicle.

Georgia Public Service Commissioner: My day as a Lyft driver (Atlanta Business Chronicle)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2019, 05:14 AM

1,054 posts, read 881,340 times
That was a good read, I've been riding Lyft for years and had no idea it had a "pit stop" feature. I've always just ended one ride and then called the next one when I had to make a quick stop.

I can't believe only one rider tipped him though. Tip your Lyft/Uber drivers, people.

Old 05-02-2019, 05:32 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,418,753 times
That was one flat, boring, poorly edited piece. Like reading a grocery list...

I need eggs
and milk
and bread...

Beyond that, just because I'm A) old, B) only had a smartphone for a few months and C) haven't lived urban in decades ~ are those ride share things Really that utilized? I haven't seen much about them in a few years so I thought they were more or less burning out after a couple years fad. I've been in one once, but it was a towncar called by a hotel in NYC for a ride to the airport (not sure if the hotel called whatever company, or the driver/company was doing double duty).

Past that, sounds like a way to have a perpetually "free" car. 9 rides, that he fit in with other work, in one day yielded 1/5th of the weekly rent on the vehicle that had Zero other expenses. 5 days of that and the vehicle is paid for... wonder if they have some filter in place to keep people from just camping on the cars for months/years at a time.

Old 05-02-2019, 11:56 AM

10,396 posts, read 11,496,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
That was one flat, boring, poorly edited piece. Like reading a grocery list...

I need eggs
and milk
and bread...

Beyond that, just because I'm A) old, B) only had a smartphone for a few months and C) haven't lived urban in decades ~ are those ride share things Really that utilized? I haven't seen much about them in a few years so I thought they were more or less burning out after a couple years fad. I've been in one once, but it was a towncar called by a hotel in NYC for a ride to the airport (not sure if the hotel called whatever company, or the driver/company was doing double duty).
Ridesharing (Lyft, Uber, etc.) does not appear to be just a fad, but appears to be a trend that is here to stay for the long term and continues to be very popular in urban areas... Ridesharing appears to be especially popular in larger urban areas (New York, Los Angeles, Bay Area, D.C., Boston, Atlanta, etc.), but also appears to be significantly utilized in a smaller urban area like Athens.

Quote:
Past that, sounds like a way to have a perpetually "free" car. 9 rides, that he fit in with other work, in one day yielded 1/5th of the weekly rent on the vehicle that had Zero other expenses. 5 days of that and the vehicle is paid for... wonder if they have some filter in place to keep people from just camping on the cars for months/years at a time.
From what I understand, I think that the Lyft "Express Drive" program (which is the program that Commissioner Echols was utilizing to obtain the Chevy Bolt for the day) requires drivers to perform at least so many rides for them to both stay in the program and to pay lower rental/leasing fees for their vehicles.

Old 05-07-2019, 10:31 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,622,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayHey View Post
That was a good read, I've been riding Lyft for years and had no idea it had a "pit stop" feature. I've always just ended one ride and then called the next one when I had to make a quick stop.

I can't believe only one rider tipped him though. Tip your Lyft/Uber drivers, people.
It's quite common for people not to tip. My nephew works for Uber Eats and maybe 10% of the people he delivers food to actually tip him!
I was shocked when I went on a delivery shift with him where he was picking up food and sometimes delivering it to apartment complexes with multiple floors and no elevators.
It's just incredible because anybody who delivers food to my home I always tip.

Old 05-08-2019, 11:58 AM

1,939 posts, read 2,162,857 times
Quote:

I live in a small/medium sized town (sub 130k) and I see cars with illuminated Lyft and Uber signs all over the place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia