Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2019, 10:43 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,702,626 times

Advertisements

Former Columbus Mayor Teresa Tomlinson to formally announce US Senate run Wednesday

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wtv...outputType=amp
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2019, 03:56 AM

1,005 posts, read 729,014 times
I'm stoked for her campaign. She has so much to show about reaching goals. Others can concern themselves with her converting Republican votes to Democratic, but I was already decided on her running instead of Abrams and I hope the turnout maintains the velocity we had for the governorship since, you know, senate representatives are important too. Go Tomlinson!

An irrelevant point: her hair is fabulous.

Old 05-03-2019, 04:59 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,702,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seussie View Post
I'm stoked for her campaign. She has so much to show about reaching goals. Others can concern themselves with her converting Republican votes to Democratic, but I was already decided on her running instead of Abrams and I hope the turnout maintains the velocity we had for the governorship since, you know, senate representatives are important too. Go Tomlinson!

An irrelevant point: her hair is fabulous.
From what I gather, people in Columbus seem to be ambivalent about her.

A competent administrator/manager of the status quo, but not really a revolutionary leader that has elicited major change for the better (with exception to pushing for the Atlanta bullet train).

I'm going to wait and see who else decides to run. It's still early.

Old 05-03-2019, 10:30 AM

1,054 posts, read 881,340 times
Status quo she was not and honestly I think most people who don't like her mostly are mad that she stopped twice a week trash pickup and changed it to once a week.

She turned city finances around and led to its first surplus budget since the Clinton Administration. The pension fund was restructured under her leadership in a way that protected payouts. Crime dropped by close to 50% from its recession levels. When she became mayor the city's animal shelter was at 90% euthanasia, last year it was below 10%. Not to mention the blight she fought through starting to enforce code standards, street RoW beautification, implementing smart TADs, and the continuation of the Downtown resurgence.

There are certainly negatives, especially in employment sector, the city lost a fair amount of higher paying jobs and really only replaced them with lower paying ones. But there is a large population of uneducated workers in the city and the unemployment rate today is less than the pre recession rates.

Population growth has dropped or been stagnant, but much of that can be directly linked to Ft Benning and base restructuring moving soldiers and their families away.

The bullet train is fluff, Tomlinson accomplished real and tangible good things over her tenure.

Old 05-03-2019, 11:02 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,241,937 times
As soon as she was quoted saying “Stacey helped make this a two-party state and I intend to keep working with her to turn Georgia blue in 2020" she disappointed me.

It should not be a "Red vs. Blue" issue. It should be about the vision that the leaders have for Georgia. When you cater to a "color" you are pandering to the party base and the lowest common denominator.

Old 05-03-2019, 12:13 PM

23,464 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
As soon as she was quoted saying “Stacey helped make this a two-party state and I intend to keep working with her to turn Georgia blue in 2020" she disappointed me.

It should not be a "Red vs. Blue" issue. It should be about the vision that the leaders have for Georgia. When you cater to a "color" you are pandering to the party base and the lowest common denominator.
I agree that if her political instincts are no better than that, then she won't get very far. Exposing your party agenda this early in the game is going to disaffect a great many potential voters.

Old 05-03-2019, 01:47 PM

I'm really confused by the last two posts.

"Blue" in this context means Democratic.

She's running in the Democratic primary for Senate.

The winner of the Democratic primary is literally the person who motivates the party base the most.

How is wanting to win the Democratic primary exposing a "party agenda"?

I bet the number of potential voters who are listening to her speak this early in the season are a tiny proportion and of those the few that would be turned off by her saying "blue" can be counted on all of Captain Hook's fingers.

Old 05-03-2019, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayHey View Post
How is wanting to win the Democratic primary exposing a "party agenda"?.
Well, what do you call the following statement?

In a statement, Tomlinson was quoted as saying “Stacey helped make this a two-party state and I intend to keep working with her to turn Georgia blue in 2020”.

Quote:
I bet the number of potential voters who are listening to her speak this early in the season are a tiny proportion and of those the few that would be turned off by her saying "blue" can be counted on all of Captain Hook's fingers.
No swing voters in Georgia? How do you explain Lucy McBath's victory in the notoriously conservative Sixth District, Jon Ossoff's near victory there, and Stacey Abrams' close call in the last gubernatorial election?

Old 05-03-2019, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
Well, what do you call the following statement?

In a statement, Tomlinson was quoted as saying “Stacey helped make this a two-party state and I intend to keep working with her to turn Georgia blue in 2020”.
First, I'd say she's paying obvious homage to Abrams who was the crowd favorite, by invoking her she is playing to the base, which for a primary is a necessary step. The ultimate goal is to win the Senate race, I guess that's the "party agenda".

To win. Not exactly uncovering anything headline worthy in saying that. I just don't understand how anyone can be either be surprised or offended that a Democrat running for office would want to win that office.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
No swing voters in Georgia?
Now, you're putting words in my mouth.

I said who are listening to her speak this early in the season

Are you really suggesting that many Georgia voters, let alone swing voters, are paying any attention to her at this moment. Talking about this is only stuff wonks or forum nerds are doing right now. Both groups, sadly enough, are statistically nil.

Old 05-03-2019, 03:41 PM

Quote:
First, I'd say she's paying obvious homage to Abrams who was the crowd favorite, by invoking her she is playing to the base, which for a primary is a necessary step. The ultimate goal is to win the Senate race, I guess that's the "party agenda".

To win. Not exactly uncovering anything headline worthy in saying that. I just don't understand how anyone can be either be surprised or offended that a Democrat running for office would want to win that office.

Now, you're putting words in my mouth.

I said who are listening to her speak this early in the season

Are you really suggesting that many Georgia voters, let alone swing voters, are paying any attention to her at this moment. Talking about this is only stuff wonks or forum nerds are doing right now. Both groups, sadly enough, are statistically nil.
It doesn't matter whether they're listening at this point or not. She's on record as having said it, and the opposition will most certainly use this and other such statements in future to paint her as a liberal demagogue to swing voters.
And did you actually read her statement? To say that you want to 'turn the state blue in 2020' is a bit more expansive a statement than 'to win'. It suggests that she wants to put as many Democrats in elected state offices as possible and tip the balance of power. Not a judgment on my part, but I do agree with markjames' statement that it might not be the best strategy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Do you want to present yourself as a unifier or divider to the middle, especially given the current political climate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
View detailed profiles of: