U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 05-10-2019, 08:29 AM
 
Location: Buckhead Atlanta
1,028 posts, read 540,407 times
Reputation: 1251

Advertisements

Hopefully more businesses get on board with the boycott and more progressive states reduce the tax burden on companies.

 
Old 05-10-2019, 08:41 AM
 
1,039 posts, read 653,653 times
Reputation: 779
Politically, it was a terrible decision by Kemp. Deal would have never let this happen.
 
Old 05-10-2019, 08:43 AM
 
Location: City of Atlanta
2,826 posts, read 1,853,577 times
Reputation: 4065
Quote:
Originally Posted by -thomass View Post
Politically, it was a terrible decision by Kemp. Deal would have never let this happen.
It might have been a rational decision by Kemp. He knows he won by the skin of his teeth and, like Trump, he knows he's going to have to do everything he can to appease his base.
 
Old 05-10-2019, 08:57 AM
 
4,757 posts, read 1,740,319 times
Reputation: 3215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
It might have been a rational decision by Kemp. He knows he won by the skin of his teeth and, like Trump, he knows he's going to have to do everything he can to appease his base.
Problem is, Kemp risks alienating the moderate voters who didn't like him but only disliked Stacey Abrams more.
 
Old 05-10-2019, 09:09 AM
 
1,039 posts, read 653,653 times
Reputation: 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
It might have been a rational decision by Kemp. He knows he won by the skin of his teeth and, like Trump, he knows he's going to have to do everything he can to appease his base.
Trump appeals to a much larger crowd than just his base. Kemp doesn’t gain anything politically by doing this. The state is shifting away from social conservatism.
 
Old 05-10-2019, 09:17 AM
 
1,456 posts, read 876,435 times
Reputation: 2160
The mistake is thinking they care.

There was a time when Republicans cared about governing, cared about the actual people that elected them. That's gone now. They are professional trolls. They exist solely to enrage "the left" for kicks. They do not pursue any policies that help the rural, uninformed voters that elected them. They don't care about jobs leaving the state, or salaries decreasing. They don't care if the residents of their state have healthcare, or housing, or any safety nets at all. They are the Cersei Lannisters of America, sneering down at their people and using them in whatever way neccesary to keep power. They don't care if the people hate them, because they hate the people too.

Republicans won't be bothered bt this stunt at all. If anything, they hope more companies leave so higher educated people leave and the economy halts, stopping the immigration of educated Democratic voters from other states. Most people mention "becoming Mississippi" as a terrifying outcome, Republican politicians would love nothing more as it would solidify their power and allow them to continue setting up 18th century laws without backlash.
 
Old 05-10-2019, 09:33 AM
 
8,697 posts, read 10,899,806 times
Reputation: 6943
Well, he marketed himself as a "politically incorrect" conservative. Professional troll is a really accurate term for him.

 
Old 05-10-2019, 09:46 AM
 
1,039 posts, read 653,653 times
Reputation: 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forhall View Post
The mistake is thinking they care.

There was a time when Republicans cared about governing, cared about the actual people that elected them. That's gone now. They are professional trolls. They exist solely to enrage "the left" for kicks. They do not pursue any policies that help the rural, uninformed voters that elected them. They don't care about jobs leaving the state, or salaries decreasing. They don't care if the residents of their state have healthcare, or housing, or any safety nets at all. They are the Cersei Lannisters of America, sneering down at their people and using them in whatever way neccesary to keep power. They don't care if the people hate them, because they hate the people too.

Republicans won't be bothered bt this stunt at all. If anything, they hope more companies leave so higher educated people leave and the economy halts, stopping the immigration of educated Democratic voters from other states. Most people mention "becoming Mississippi" as a terrifying outcome, Republican politicians would love nothing more as it would solidify their power and allow them to continue setting up 18th century laws without backlash.
Not a good take. Georgia and Texas, under heavy economic and social conservatism for their entire existence, are attracting more businesses than any other states. It’s give and take. Deal was able to offer friendly economics, while also holding back on hot button social issues like abortion and religion. So far, Kemp is not interested in doing that
 
Old 05-10-2019, 10:35 AM
 
4,757 posts, read 1,740,319 times
Reputation: 3215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forhall View Post
The mistake is thinking they care.

There was a time when Republicans cared about governing, cared about the actual people that elected them. That's gone now. They are professional trolls. They exist solely to enrage "the left" for kicks. They do not pursue any policies that help the rural, uninformed voters that elected them. They don't care about jobs leaving the state, or salaries decreasing. They don't care if the residents of their state have healthcare, or housing, or any safety nets at all. They are the Cersei Lannisters of America, sneering down at their people and using them in whatever way neccesary to keep power. They don't care if the people hate them, because they hate the people too.

Republicans won't be bothered bt this stunt at all. If anything, they hope more companies leave so higher educated people leave and the economy halts, stopping the immigration of educated Democratic voters from other states. Most people mention "becoming Mississippi" as a terrifying outcome, Republican politicians would love nothing more as it would solidify their power and allow them to continue setting up 18th century laws without backlash.
Sadly, everything you say is turning out to be accurate.
 
Old 05-10-2019, 11:25 AM
 
Location: Seattle
6,520 posts, read 3,804,915 times
Reputation: 3779
100% agree with these companies, and I'm boycotting Georgia too, leaving as soon as I'm able to secure good employment elsewhere. Sick and tired of the theocracy at every turn. We're either in the news for that or it's racism or homophobia. We can't ever do anything positive like expand Medicaid or legalize Cannabis, but this anti-woman stuff is our priority. Tired of it.

I'm a person and I have rights not because of my heartbeat or my DNA, but because I'm sentient and self-aware and have complex emotions and memories and personality and etc etc. All this 'fetal heartbeat' stuff is is about religious people who think we have souls. That's fine for a personal belief and your own choices, but leave the rest of us alone. Party of 'small government'- leave the dang women of Georgia alone! Everyone can make their own choices.

So much more I could say but I don't even know where to start. I like Atlanta sometimes, but it's just, it just never ends with these social conservative government people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:24 PM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top