Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2023, 06:21 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,816,707 times

Advertisements

In the beginning of February I will be visiting Blue Ridge for a day since a family acquaintance is opening up a business there in the downtown area. I will be taking some of my family with me. We will be visiting the business in the morning but we’d have the rest of the afternoon before driving back towards Marietta. Any recommendations I will take. They aren’t really hiking people but wanted to see if there were any particular stores or places with great views to get a taste of some of the local nature. Also any good lunch places too…

I looked up the train and it’s closed in February that was a real bummer…

It’s also my first time driving up into the mountains, any pro tips to avoid traffic or other things to stop for along the way please let me know. Since this will be during the week it shouldn’t be as bad but now that I live in Marietta I don’t trust any belief I ever had about low traffic. It’s all high traffic now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2023, 07:37 AM

704 posts, read 936,406 times
There was a time not so long ago when the trip from Marietta to Blue Ridge was a nice country drive up the I-575.

I'm not sure if it was due to being on a Friday Afternoon, but the last time I drove that way it was bumper to bumper in both directions between Barrett Pkwy and Blue Ridge.

Old 01-24-2023, 09:22 AM

10,396 posts, read 11,500,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by y8tiger View Post
There was a time not so long ago when the trip from Marietta to Blue Ridge was a nice country drive up the I-575.

I'm not sure if it was due to being on a Friday Afternoon, but the last time I drove that way it was bumper to bumper in both directions between Barrett Pkwy and Blue Ridge.
Though it historically has been kind of an isolated Southern Appalachians rural mountain wilderness area, much of the North Georgia Mountains region has been feeling more and more like far outer-exurban Atlanta in recent years with all of the traffic, people and development that seemingly continues to flood into the area.

Old 01-24-2023, 09:44 AM

10,396 posts, read 11,500,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
In the beginning of February I will be visiting Blue Ridge for a day since a family acquaintance is opening up a business there in the downtown area. I will be taking some of my family with me. We will be visiting the business in the morning but we’d have the rest of the afternoon before driving back towards Marietta. Any recommendations I will take. They aren’t really hiking people but wanted to see if there were any particular stores or places with great views to get a taste of some of the local nature. Also any good lunch places too…

I looked up the train and it’s closed in February that was a real bummer…

It’s also my first time driving up into the mountains, any pro tips to avoid traffic or other things to stop for along the way please let me know. Since this will be during the week it shouldn’t be as bad but now that I live in Marietta I don’t trust any belief I ever had about low traffic. It’s all high traffic now.
Going up into the North Georgia Mountains region (the Blue Ridge/Southern Appalachian Mountains of North Georgia) the temperatures are likely to be noticeably cooler than in metro Atlanta, especially at night.

There looks to be a chance of rain in the weather forecast for around the first two days of February in the Blue Ridge area.

For someone like you who may have lived most of there life in a significantly drier and warmer climate where significant amounts of precipitation in subfreezing temperatures seems to be an exceedingly rare occurrence, please be aware that when any type of precipitation is falling or is in the air (from heavy rainfall all the way down to just fog or even the lightest of light mist) and temperatures are hovering around the 32-degree mark, that bridge decks will freeze first before any other parts of the roadway.

You may have even seen the signs on the highway that say “BRIDGES FREEZE BEFORE ROADWAY.”

Please take heed of the advisory on those yellow roadside signs if you happen to be driving in any kind of wet conditions (including in even the slightest of wet conditions like fog or a very light mist) where air temperatures may be hovering around the 32-degree mark.

Otherwise, Blue Ridge is an amazing little mountain town with numerous shops, restaurants and bars for a small town of its size.

Here are some links that might could help you decide exactly where in the area you would like to visit during the half day that you have available to do so:

Blue Ridge, Georgia: Welcome to Georgia’s Blue Ridge Experience…

Plan your visit to Georgia’s Blue Ridge Mountains

Old 01-24-2023, 10:02 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
The train goes between Blue Ridge and McCaysville. You can easily cover both in an afternoon. There is no reason why you can’t drive there and visit the shops. A dotted line behind one of the shops (it might even go through the shop) is the border between GA and TN.

Good luck with the restaurants. We didn’t really enjoy any of the food we had, but maybe you will.

Old 01-24-2023, 09:50 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,142,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by y8tiger View Post

The traffic starts up here late Thursday evening and runs till about 3:00 PM on Sundays. Northbound on Thursday through Saturday.....Southbound on Sundays. When I go to my sons in Roswell, I always plan accordingly. With that said.... the worst of it is always from 575/75 interchange to Canton. After that... it'll get lighter with each town you pass... Jasper, Ellijay, Blue Ridge and on to Blairsville. And the secret to getting through the stoplights in Jasper, Ellijay and Blue Ridge, drive about 2 miles an hour under the speed limit and you'll not have to stop once... Drive the speed limit... you'll hit every last one.

For restaurants... Best BBQ in the mountains is Jim's Smokin Q South of Blairsville. I like FightingTown tavern in Blue Ridge also especially in nice weather when I can people watch from the outside deck.....

Old 01-25-2023, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Good luck with the restaurants. We didn’t really enjoy any of the food we had, but maybe you will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
For restaurants... Best BBQ in the mountains is Jim's Smokin Q South of Blairsville. I like FightingTown tavern in Blue Ridge also especially in nice weather when I can people watch from the outside deck.....
When I think of good restaurants in the N GA Mountains these two places readily come to mind:

The Dillard House Restaurant

https://www.dillardhouse.com/restaurant/

and

Bodensee Restaurant

https://bodenseerestaurant.com/

Old 01-26-2023, 09:41 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,701,850 times
I'm going to be honest here, I like Blue Ridge, I don't love it. The restaurants always have poor food and service, and the town itself has a lack of general attractions without some of the quaintness found in other towns like Ellijay or Clayton. I do love the mountains and the general area however.

I go up often, and the traffic will not be a problem at all. If you only have a day, and hiking is NOT on the agenda, I might recommend:

1) stop at Mercier orchards. Get some apple donuts, cider, etc.
2) Huck's old time general store - downtown
3) Cohutta "gem" Mining if you have kids (warning, kitschy as hell)
4) long creek falls, fall branch falls

Old 01-26-2023, 10:32 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
I'm going to be honest here, I like Blue Ridge, I don't love it. The restaurants always have poor food and service, and the town itself has a lack of general attractions without some of the quaintness found in other towns like Ellijay or Clayton. I do love the mountains and the general area however.

I go up often, and the traffic will not be a problem at all. If you only have a day, and hiking is NOT on the agenda, I might recommend:

You might be able to hit Dahlonega, GA on your way home. It has a few bars, restaurants, shops and a cute downtown.

Old 01-26-2023, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post

I'm sure this has changed with the addition of all the bars, but I remember when Dancing on the Square Outdoors and the Swan Drive In Theater were the highlight of Blue Ridge Night Life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia