Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2023, 08:13 PM

5 posts, read 10,547 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone ,

I am in the process of relocating from NY to Georgia . I have income a little short of 100k. I recently applied for an apartment at 2100 monthly . I was advised my income has to be 3x price of rent , debt to income ratio, credit score are taken into consideration during the application process . While touring I advised the leasing office I will be transferring jobs ( increase income ) . During that time I was advised to provide current job offer letter along with paystubs and NEW job offer letter . I included 3 months of bank statements and consented to a credit check as well . After all of that I started my new job and was then requested to provide an verification of employment letter which I thought was odd since I initially provided what I listed above . I went ahead and contacted HR and that letter was sent directly from HR to the leasing office email . Now today I am getting another request to send my 1st paystub which I don’t get paid until two weeks from now and a decision will be made . I’m not sure if I’m being sensitive however I’m feel the whole application process is off putting and feels like redlining ( rental edition )

Let’s chat about it !

Also I’ll add I have good credit , consistent savings , low percentage debt to income etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2023, 01:40 AM

10,396 posts, read 11,493,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAllen5 View Post
Hello Everyone ,

I am in the process of relocating from NY to Georgia . I have income a little short of 100k. I recently applied for an apartment at 2100 monthly . I was advised my income has to be 3x price of rent , debt to income ratio, credit score are taken into consideration during the application process . While touring I advised the leasing office I will be transferring jobs ( increase income ) . During that time I was advised to provide current job offer letter along with paystubs and NEW job offer letter . I included 3 months of bank statements and consented to a credit check as well . After all of that I started my new job and was then requested to provide an verification of employment letter which I thought was odd since I initially provided what I listed above . I went ahead and contacted HR and that letter was sent directly from HR to the leasing office email . Now today I am getting another request to send my 1st paystub which I don’t get paid until two weeks from now and a decision will be made . I’m not sure if I’m being sensitive however I’m feel the whole application process is off putting and feels like redlining ( rental edition )

Let’s chat about it !

Also I’ll add I have good credit , consistent savings , low percentage debt to income etc
I will not comment on whether or not your situation may be a case of “redlining.”

But I will comment that, 1) a significant part of your situation potentially could be that Georgia seems to have far different laws that govern landlords and property management companies than a state like New York.

It’s probably worth noting that, like many states located south of the Mason-Dixon Line, a deeply conservative-led state like Georgia has virtually very few, if any, real constraints on landlords in regards to how they can treat tenants and/or prospective tenants… This in a state in Georgia where the state government political leadership takes tremendously great pride in bragging about how much of an exceedingly favorable and exceedingly friendly environment for business they love to maintain when compared to states like California, Illinois, New Jersey, New York, etc.

I will also comment that, 2) in recent years, the Atlanta metropolitan area has been experiencing a highly competitive apartment rental market when compared to the historical norm of the area, which historically often has been a norm of an abundant supply of apartment dwellings.

Because of an ongoing lack of apartment supply that seems to have been becoming increasingly more competitive since about 2015, there have been many reports and complaints of rental property landlords discriminating against people not necessarily on the basis of race and/ethnicity, but often on the basis of income.

It’s a situation where the metro Atlanta apartment rental market has been so competitive that many landlords have been opting out of the once-seemingly lucrative affordable housing programs that their properties previously participated in because the regular apartment rental market has become so lucrative for property owners and property management companies.

As of late, the metro Atlanta apartment rental market has been so competitive that many landlords have been reported to sometimes hold out for the highest-income and highest rent-paying tenants before filling what relatively very few vacant apartment units they may have in the current market, especially in more high-demand areas with the most and best amenities where competition for apartment dwellings may be highest.

I obviously don’t know if any of the above may apply to your exact situation, but it did seem to be worth mentioning a couple of notable conditions that may be significant factors in the current apartment rental market in metro Atlanta.

Old 01-20-2023, 08:28 PM

5 posts, read 10,547 times
Thank you for your insight

Old 01-24-2023, 06:32 AM

1,388 posts, read 2,255,904 times
Unfortunately, laws that actually exist in Georgia are merely suggestions. There is little enforcement of the laws that actually exist and as previous posters stated, landlords hold all the cards here and renters must play a game of Simon Says. What you describe is a bit much, but keep at it. If this place falls through, with an income just under 100k you will eventually find a home. I know that is little consolation, but in the current market, dealing with it is basically the only reasonable option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
View detailed profiles of: