Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 09:52 PM

3,464 posts, read 1,888,126 times

Advertisements

considering this small town for my family.
was there in late october this year, very nice.
i work for publix and am transferring to a store around lake lanier, possibly the gainesville or cumming area.
any insight as to an area similiar to dahlonega to reside in would be helpful.
we have two children (5 and 11) so the school systems would need to be good, of course.
any and all other comments, much appreciated.
thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2009, 05:11 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,366,158 times
For the past 3 days I have been trying to think of something negative about Dahlonega.... Still thinking... If I come up with something bad about the Golden Paradise I will let you know

Old 11-28-2009, 05:11 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,366,158 times
Dawsonville is not a bad local either.

Old 11-30-2009, 09:10 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,758,529 times
This is a relative question, as what "good and bad" are greatly depends on the people. The "tourist" Dahlonega is very different than the actual residential Dahlonega.

Tourist Dahlonega has a diverse town square filled with shops and galleries and a few really nice festivals each year. Residential Dahlonega runs the gambit from nice country/rural areas to vacation rental areas to on the flip-side, a scene or two from Deliverance if you get the wrong neighbors. Someone from a smaller to medium sized place in Louisiana or Arkansas might move there and be in heaven, while someone from rural Vermont may move there and be driven nuts.

The area itself offers tons of outdoor opportunities if you like that - hiking, lots of small towns to explore, and in the Dawsonville area, shopping at the outlets (all while being around 70 or so miles from Atlanta should you want bigger city stuff). Your best bet would be to look around for a personable realtor. Tell them about yourself and your family, what you want, and what you expect from where you wish to live - see if they can suggest the right area.

Old 11-30-2009, 09:33 PM

32 posts, read 81,070 times
Smile Dahlonega-great family area

Hi! Well I live in Dahlonega, I actually grew up here too, and I must say that I loved it, still do. It has got all the different seasons, and awesome festivals. It is a small town, with new growth popping up everywhere, and it is a great place to live! I would tell you to come on down here, Dawsonville is alright, but it is much less developed and family-friendly. Dahlonega offers fine dining on the square, a widely-known university, as well as many small town attributes, making it a perfect clash of good living for all types of people. I love it, and I am sure you will love living here just as much as you did when you visited!

Also, I actually went to Longbranch Elementary and I really loved it, it had smaller classrooms, and paid more attention to each student. I also hear that Blackburn Elementary(Relatively new school) is great, and Lumpkin County Middle and High were great as well, they have just added a swim team! Hope I helped

Old 12-06-2009, 10:10 PM

well, georgia, atlantagreg and cooscoosmama thank u for your insight.
we are looking forward to moving to dahlonega, hopefully by summer '10

Old 12-11-2009, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
For the past 3 days I have been trying to think of something negative about Dahlonega.... Still thinking... If I come up with something bad about the Golden Paradise I will let you know
I'm glad to see that you haven't come up with anything bad about the Golden Paradise..............

Old 12-13-2009, 02:19 AM

1,352 posts, read 4,358,614 times
The good: its remotish
The bad: its remotish

They have a cool museum - do take the video tour if you haven't already.

Old 12-13-2009, 10:53 PM

love the time of your post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityrover View Post
The good: its remotish
The bad: its remotish

They have a cool museum - do take the video tour if you haven't already.

Old 12-18-2009, 10:18 PM

3 posts, read 17,501 times
The good and the bad about Dahlonega, Ga? That's easy. Remote with few retail stores, very religous, a lot of hillbillies, a lot of tourist, a lot of college kids, a lot of white people. Now...good or bad? Depends on who you are and how you see it. Can go either way ;]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia