Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2019, 03:27 PM

3,874 posts, read 4,696,375 times

Advertisements

Mr. Beck was indicted today by a federal grand jury on a total of 38 counts that ranged through wire fraud, mail fraud & money-laundering.
Some of his ill-gotten gains were allegedly used to finance his recent successful bid to be elected Georgia insurance Commissioner.
Beck was also a long-time leader of the Georgia Christian Coalition.

https://www.ajc.com/news/breaking-ge...e1qD95KkpAYcM/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2019, 01:00 AM

1,005 posts, read 728,882 times
Beck got got.

Old 05-15-2019, 07:37 AM

Default Insurance Commissioner Jim Beck has been indicted on 39 counts

As a follow up to my post yesterday, I did some digging & found a news clip from a year ago from Fox5 that brought to light the shady dealings of Beck.
Not only did this reporting reveal the alleged questionable ethics & behavior by Beck but it also offered the news that he maneuvered to have 2 paying positions so as to keep insurance for his wife that would cover a pre-existing medical condition she has. Keep in mind that Beck is alleged to have done all of this behind the scenes maneuvering while publicly advocating against Medicaid expansion in Georgia! In other words, he wanted his wife to have pre-existing condition insurance coverage but yet wanted to deny it for Georgians! As such, it seems that the citizens of Georgia have been gamed by a compete fraud!
Sadly it's a poor reflection upon the voting public that he was elected Insurance Commissioner this past November anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGzWyohfKyM

Old 05-15-2019, 02:51 PM
bu2

24,080 posts, read 14,875,404 times
This news has been out a while. I guess it finally got to the indictment stage.

Old 05-15-2019, 03:14 PM

Default Georgia Insurance Commissioner Jim Beck has been indicted on 38 counts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
This news has been out a while. I guess it finally got to the indictment stage.
Yes, it has been as you pointed out & as made clear by the channel 5 video I added here in my 2nd post in the thread.

I also said that it doesn't speak well for the voters of Georgia given that they went ahead & elected this alleged crook anyway. Your thoughts on that please....

Old 05-15-2019, 08:57 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,708,686 times
I didn't hear much about it during the run up to the election and I don't recall his opponent using it in her ads.

Old 05-16-2019, 01:48 AM

10,396 posts, read 11,493,034 times
Politically, this could make it more difficult for the some factions in the legislature (particularly in the Georgia state Senate) to make the argument that Georgia state government is a better party than Atlanta city government to run the Atlanta Airport when the Georgia state Insurance Commissioner has just been indicted on 38 counts of fraud by a federal grand jury.

Much (if not most) of the entire reasoning for the attempted takeover of the Atlanta Airport by certain factions in the Georgia state Senate is that Atlanta city government as a whole is too corrupt to continue to own and operate the world's busiest airport.

The federal indictment of the state's Insurance Commissioner on 38 counts of fraud and other criminal activity appears to potentially throw a huge wrench into that argument that the State of Georgia is best qualified to own and operate the Atlanta Airport after seizing it from the City of Atlanta on the grounds of there being too much corruption in Atlanta city government.

Old 05-16-2019, 02:11 AM

10,396 posts, read 11,493,034 times
Jim Beck is being urged (pressured) by Governor Kemp and a growing number of other Georgia state government officials (including a growing number of Republican figures) to resign his post as state Insurance Commissioner...

"NEW DETAILS: Pressure mounts on Georgia insurance commissioner to resign" (Atlanta Journal-Constitution)

Old 05-18-2019, 08:09 PM

1,388 posts, read 2,255,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
As a follow up to my post yesterday, I did some digging & found a news clip from a year ago from Fox5 that brought to light the shady dealings of Beck.
Not only did this reporting reveal the alleged questionable ethics & behavior by Beck but it also offered the news that he maneuvered to have 2 paying positions so as to keep insurance for his wife that would cover a pre-existing medical condition she has. Keep in mind that Beck is alleged to have done all of this behind the scenes maneuvering while publicly advocating against Medicaid expansion in Georgia! In other words, he wanted his wife to have pre-existing condition insurance coverage but yet wanted to deny it for Georgians! As such, it seems that the citizens of Georgia have been gamed by a compete fraud!
Sadly it's a poor reflection upon the voting public that he was elected Insurance Commissioner this past November anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGzWyohfKyM
I saw all of this and am usually a Democrat in Georgia (pretty moderate so in this state I fall left), but I didn't even have to think about this one. Unfortunately, partisan politics sent Beck to office, not his qualifications.

Old 05-23-2019, 07:26 AM
bu2

24,080 posts, read 14,875,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
Yes, it has been as you pointed out & as made clear by the channel 5 video I added here in my 2nd post in the thread.

I also said that it doesn't speak well for the voters of Georgia given that they went ahead & elected this alleged crook anyway. Your thoughts on that please....
People don't pay much attention to down ballot elections. For all the emphasis on making it easy to vote, a lot of people don't take the time to know what they are voting for. Doesn't even take too far down the ballot to get such votes. Hank Johnson? Really Dekalb County?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
View detailed profiles of: