U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Who is the next rising star of Georgia?
Augusta 26 39.39%
Macon 12 18.18%
Columbus 28 42.42%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-02-2019, 03:22 PM
 
Location: Columbus, GA and Brookhaven, GA
4,492 posts, read 6,362,469 times
Reputation: 1118

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
Lol from the guy who said the energy in DT Columbus was much higher than DT Augusta?

We both know that’s not even close to fact.
It is. I work at the hospitals in Augusta at least one day a week. However, I am very impressed by Columbia County. I wish Harris County would develop that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-02-2019, 03:26 PM
 
Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,310 posts, read 12,642,594 times
Reputation: 819
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayHey View Post
Norton, you don't have to be so pissy in every comment.

And it's hardly fair to cherry pick one development in Columbus, then list a bunch of stuff going on in Augusta.


There are two other downtown hotels under development besides the one you mentioned.

It's a good thing that Augusta's Riverwalk was recently expanded, but Columbus' has stretched from Fort Benning to north of Bibb City for years now and two new sections were just finished earlier this year.

Beacon Station sounds a lot like The Rapids, which just opened.

Cape Augusta looks really cool and is a great development, Columbus has already redeveloped many of its historic mills into apartments, commercial, office, and event spaces. City Mills redevelopment is the next one on the list and is strikingly similar to the Cape Augusta plan.

And finally the Riverfront at the Depot reminds me of the planned Phase 3 at The Rapids, consisting of a mix of retail and office space.


Sure, you're right Augusta is closer in population to the 3 large metros in SC, that's just basic arithmetic.

Like it's been mentioned a few times in this thread, Augusta (600k) is twice the size of Columbus (300k), so yeah we are in a different weight class, so no need to keep punching down at us. Augusta is doing good, so's Columbus. Those two facts aren't mutually exclusive.
I never said anything bad about Columbus. I said people in Augusta don’t view them as competition.

I listed a total on five projects. What is under development mean? I’m talking about opened and under construction. There’s plenty of hotels under development in Augusta.

Beacon Station is in the hood area of Augusta. The rapids in Columbus is on the Riverfront similar to the housing coming with Riverfront on the depot project in Augusta.

Augusta has also redeveloped Enterprise Mill and Sutherland Mill. I never said Columbus didn’t redevelop old mills before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2019, 03:28 PM
 
Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,310 posts, read 12,642,594 times
Reputation: 819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
It is. I work at the hospitals in Augusta at least one day a week. However, I am very impressed by Columbia County. I wish Harris County would develop that way.
Augusta has a new eight story building and two five story buildings in a couple of months. Name anything of height in Columbus recently to back up your claim?

I can’t argue with you lol. Even the Medical District just opened another large project recently. A $60 million Cancer Center expansion.

That’s funny because AugNative just put Augusta down for having more bland suburban sprawl. But you guys in Columbus want more of it.

Last edited by nortonguy; 06-02-2019 at 03:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2019, 03:31 PM
 
Location: Columbus, GA and Brookhaven, GA
4,492 posts, read 6,362,469 times
Reputation: 1118
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
Augusta has a new eight story building and two five story buildings in a couple of months? Name anything of height in Columbus recently?
The Rapids development lol. There are 3 more buildings planned for that project. The approved AC Marriott will be 6 stories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2019, 03:38 PM
 
Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,310 posts, read 12,642,594 times
Reputation: 819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
The Rapids development lol. There are 3 more buildings planned for that project. The approved AC Marriott will be 6 stories.
So your response is 1 six-story building vs our eight-story building and two five-story buildings?

The other response is 3 buildings are planned for the area. I just posted the Riverfront at Depot breaks ground in Augusta this year(office and residential tower).

The last response is the AC Marriott will be 6 stories. Probably the same as the apt building planned for 9th and hotel planned for Broad.

Your comment about the energy being much higher in DT Columbus is false. But I just wanted to point that out. If you feel DT Columbus is better then cool, because that’s opinion and not fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2019, 03:49 PM
 
Location: Columbus, GA and Brookhaven, GA
4,492 posts, read 6,362,469 times
Reputation: 1118
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
So your response is 1 six-story building vs our eight-story building and two five-story buildings?

The other response is 3 buildings are planned for the area. I just posted the Riverfront at Depot breaks ground in Augusta this year(office and residential tower).

The last response is the AC Marriott will be 6 stories. Probably the same as the apt building planned for 9th and hotel planned for Broad.

Your comment about the energy being much higher in DT Columbus is false. But I just wanted to point that out. If you feel DT Columbus is better then cool, because that’s opinion and not fact.
Lol. My statement is factual because I spend considerable time working in Augusta so I have a first hand account. How much time do you spend working in Columbus? I’ll wait..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2019, 03:54 PM
 
Location: Columbus, GA
948 posts, read 424,801 times
Reputation: 640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
Auburn and Opelika can’t be left out either. It’s only 20 miles or so from downtown Columbus to downtown Opelika. Lagrange isn't much further as well. Our region is much larger than the 300k mentioned.

It's 25.7 miles on a direct flight, a few more by car.

And outside of 25 miles is when commute distances really start to fall off, when you look at average travel time and average commute distances, inside of 25 miles account for ~90% of all commutes in the Columbus Metro. That's why I used that to generate those numbers from earlier.

Including Opelika and especially including Auburn in a population number with Columbus is a fairly suspect method when we know that way less than 10% of those people are traveling to and from Columbus frequently to work, shop, dine, or sleep.

Back to the building fight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2019, 03:57 PM
 
Location: Columbus, GA and Brookhaven, GA
4,492 posts, read 6,362,469 times
Reputation: 1118
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayHey View Post
It's 25.7 miles on a direct flight, a few more by car.

And outside of 25 miles is when commute distances really start to fall off, when you look at average travel time and average commute distances, inside of 25 miles account for ~90% of all commutes in the Columbus Metro. That's why I used that to generate those numbers from earlier.

Including Opelika and especially including Auburn in a population number with Columbus is a fairly suspect method when we know that way less than 10% of those people are traveling to and from Columbus frequently to work, shop, dine, or sleep.

Back to the building fight.
So you’re splitting hairs over a few miles? Really?

Care to share where you get the 10% number?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2019, 04:05 PM
 
Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,310 posts, read 12,642,594 times
Reputation: 819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
Lol. My statement is factual because I spend considerable time working in Augusta so I have a first hand account. How much time do you spend working in Columbus? I’ll wait..
I visited Columbus in 2018.. Saw the whitewater course for the first time.

What does spending time here mean anything? You obviously don’t know much about what’s going on in Augusta.

You said you were impressed about Columbia County and wished Harris County could follow. But even TaxSlayer moved their headquarters from Evans to DT Augusta this year.

You haven’t provided anything except opinions to back up your claim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2019, 04:06 PM
 
1,411 posts, read 903,172 times
Reputation: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayHey View Post
It's 25.7 miles on a direct flight, a few more by car.

And outside of 25 miles is when commute distances really start to fall off, when you look at average travel time and average commute distances, inside of 25 miles account for ~90% of all commutes in the Columbus Metro. That's why I used that to generate those numbers from earlier.

Including Opelika and especially including Auburn in a population number with Columbus is a fairly suspect method when we know that way less than 10% of those people are traveling to and from Columbus frequently to work, shop, dine, or sleep.

Back to the building fight.
Quote:
Including Opelika and especially including Auburn in a population number with Columbus is a fairly suspect method when we know that way less than 10% of those people are traveling to and from Columbus frequently to work, shop, dine, or sleep.
I have to disagree. I know personally TSYS riverfront campus employs more people from east Alabama than in Columbus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top