U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who is the next rising star of Georgia?
Augusta 26 39.39%
Macon 12 18.18%
Columbus 28 42.42%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2019, 04:06 PM

4,492 posts, read 6,362,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
I visited Columbus in 2018.. Saw the whitewater course for the first time.

What does spending time here mean anything? You obviously don’t know much about what’s going on in Augusta.

You said you were impressed about Columbia County and wished Harris County could follow. But even TaxSlayer moves their headquarters from Evans to DT Augusta in Broad this year.

You haven’t provided anything except opinions to back up your claims.
I’ve debated this with you time and time again. You have a clear understanding. I’m done here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2019, 04:16 PM

240 posts, read 138,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
It is. I work at the hospitals in Augusta at least one day a week. However, I am very impressed by Columbia County. I wish Harris County would develop that way.

Isn’t Harris County determined to remain as “rural” as possible? I agree with you, they should embrace commercial development similar to that of Columbia County but I could see that happening moreso on the Alabama side of Columbus’ MSA...specifically in Smith’s Station/Southeast Lee County area.

Old 06-02-2019, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYoungProfessional View Post
Isn’t Harris County determined to remain as “rural” as possible? I agree with you, they should embrace commercial development but I could see that happening moreso on the Alabama side of Columbus’ MSA...specifically in Smith’s Station/Southeast Lee County.
The Grove project was set to change that. It was a massive deal, millions of square feet of development. It unfortunately was slated to begin in 2008 and everything crashed. Harris County wants some development, just in strategic locations. Their 2 acre lot size isn’t a bad idea. That limits true cookie-cutter sprawl. As one of the wealthiest counties in the state, it definitely needs more commercial development.

Old 06-02-2019, 05:22 PM

948 posts, read 424,801 times
Quote:
So you’re splitting hairs over a few miles? Really?

Care to share where you get the 10% number?
Yes, because at the 25 mile mark the drop off is statistically very significant. It's a useful delineation when talking about demographic patterns.

And all the numbers I'm using in this thread are coming from US Census data on home/work patterns.

I'm not splitting hairs or pulling numbers from where the sun don't shine.

You can check these too on the census' On the Map website, the data will probably be a couple years older than the up to date numbers I have, but it shouldn't be a significant discrepancy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountain-of-youth View Post
I have to disagree. I know personally TSYS riverfront campus employs more people from east Alabama than in Columbus.
I was talking about people outside of the 25 mile radius, so that doesn't include Smiths Station, Beulah, and Beauregard, those areas are inside of that zone. They account for around 60,000 people, just below 40% of Lee County, a large number of those residents do work in Russell Co. or in Georgia.

That's fascinating if the nearly 4,000 employees at Riverfront are a majority of Alabama residents - I've never heard that high of an estimate before. Back in high school the joke was that every second house in Maple Ridge was a TSYS corporate employee.

Old 06-02-2019, 05:22 PM

1,497 posts, read 979,839 times
Augusta is in no way in the same league as Greenville, SC. Greenville has an MSA just under 1 million and a CSA just under 1.5 million. Apples to oranges. Nortinguy should be thankful for Columbia County as that is where more than 75% of Augusta MSA growth has been centered.. if you took Columbia County out of the equation Augusta would be on par with Columbus and Macon MSA. But if you read his comment history, he disparages Columbia County every chance he gets downplaying all of the real growth that is there and exaggerating a few projects here and there in RC.. which has been stagnant population wise for 20 years and that trens is not reversing

Old 06-02-2019, 05:24 PM

I guess he needs to create some new screen names to upvote Augusta. Like I said, Augusta us bigger due to suburban sprawl. Is that a good thing? Does that make it a bigger city or more desirable city? Not in my book

Old 06-02-2019, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUGnative View Post
Like I said, Augusta us bigger due to suburban sprawl. Is that a good thing? Does that make it a bigger city or more desirable city? Not in my book
I think you can't ignore a city's metro size at all. Even if those people aren't in the city limits, they do contribute to that city's economy, either through work or consumer spending, even if they don't ever step foot inside the city limits. It's a ripple effect.

Atlanta certainly feels like a much larger city than 500,000 and that's because of the millions who live just outside of it, so yeah suburban sprawl does make it a bigger city and potentially a more desirable one. And that's the kindest thing I have to say about suburban sprawl. It's an answer, not necessarily the right one.

Old 06-02-2019, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayHey View Post
Yes, because at the 25 mile mark the drop off is statistically very significant. It's a useful delineation when talking about demographic patterns.

And all the numbers I'm using in this thread are coming from US Census data on home/work patterns.

I'm not splitting hairs or pulling numbers from where the sun don't shine.

You can check these too on the census' On the Map website, the data will probably be a couple years older than the up to date numbers I have, but it shouldn't be a significant discrepancy.

I was talking about people outside of the 25 mile radius, so that doesn't include Smiths Station, Beulah, and Beauregard, those areas are inside of that zone. They account for around 60,000 people, just below 40% of Lee County, a large number of those residents do work in Russell Co. or in Georgia.

That's fascinating if the nearly 4,000 employees at Riverfront are a majority of Alabama residents - I've never heard that high of an estimate before. Back in high school the joke was that every second house in Maple Ridge was a TSYS corporate employee.
So nobody commutes into Atlanta from Alpharetta, Lawrenceville, Cumming, Canton, etc? Those cities are outside of the 25 mile radius.

I know a dozen people who commute that distance in the Columbus area. Columbus and A/O are very much tied together and represent the true size of our area. Trying to exclude that fact is a pure misrepresentation of the Columbus region.

Old 06-02-2019, 05:50 PM

Yes true to an extent. Atlanta as a city definitely feels much larger than a city of 500k. Downtown and midtown are corporate hubs. Tons of office workers dlevery day comnutung from the burbs. You simply cannot say that for downtown Augusta. It is not a corporate hub. The main offices are county government related. The one exception us the medical district...but that is not really downtown. Most of the recent job growth is because of Fort Gordon..that's where the jobs are which is much closer to Evans and Grovetown in Columbia County than downtown Augusta.. No surprise much of the residential and commercial growth has been in Columbia County. Despite it's larger MSA, the urban core of Augusta feels no larger than that of Columbus it Macon. Macon's downtown actually has. Larger footprint and Columbus has more of a corporate presence with companies like Synovus. There is no mistki g when you are in downtown Atlanta you are in a major city with a metro over 5 million. I just do the think Augusta as a city feels any bigger than the other 2.. it just has more suburbs..but that doesn't mean those suburbs have a greater impact it's downtown. I mean technically the MSA if Savannah is smaller than that if Macon and Augusta.. but Savannah blows them out of the water when it comes it it's urban core and downtown

Old 06-02-2019, 05:52 PM

Quote:
So nobody commutes into Atlanta from Alpharetta, Lawrenceville, Cumming, Canton, etc? Those cities are outside of the 25 mile radius.

I know a dozen people who commute that distance in the Columbus area. Columbus and A/O are very much tied together and represent the true size of our area. Trying to exclude that fact is a pure misrepresentation of the Columbus region.
25 miles is good commute distance for the Columbus metro (and the Auburn one), looking at the Columbus (and Auburn) patterns of commuting.

That has nothing to do with Atlanta. I would absolutely assume that a commute distance where frequency of commuters statistically drops to a very small number is higher than 25 miles in Atlanta metro. I would guess somewhere in the 30-35 mile range.

I get you don't like my numbers, but I'm just looking at census data of commute patterns, which I suppose could be less accurate than your anecdotal references.

What the census data shows is that those living west of I85 do not statistically contribute in a significant way to the Columbus MSA. That's not me insulting or misrepresenting the Columbus region, it's me just looking at the numbers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or