U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Who is the next rising star of Georgia?
Augusta 26 39.39%
Macon 12 18.18%
Columbus 28 42.42%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-20-2019, 09:01 AM
 
Location: St Simons Island, GA
23,125 posts, read 36,356,975 times
Reputation: 15465

Advertisements

In the last 25 years, we have witnessed the ascendancy of two great Georgia cities: Atlanta and Savannah. Of the three mid-tier Fall Line cities, whose turn is next? Will it be Macon, Augusta or Columbus?

I vote Macon, largely due to its sleeping giant of an historic district, and its proximity to Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-20-2019, 09:38 AM
 
4,701 posts, read 1,709,890 times
Reputation: 3165
1. Augusta - The Army Cyber Command Center could be a game changer

2. Macon - I-75 connectivity

3. Columbus

Last edited by citidata18; 05-20-2019 at 09:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2019, 11:59 AM
 
1,326 posts, read 1,943,308 times
Reputation: 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
1. Augusta - The Army Cyber Command Center could be a game changer

2. Macon - I-75 connectivity

3. Columbus
If I-14 does end up getting built anytime in our lifetime it could fuel growth in Augusta/Columbus and Macon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2019, 12:11 PM
 
Location: Columbus, GA
948 posts, read 424,190 times
Reputation: 640
What exactly is the metric for "ascendency"?

Is it population size or growth? Is it tourism dollars spent? Is it the highest number of chef-driven restaurants with Edison bulb lighting?



Augusta is the largest by far and has lots growth being spurred by Cyber CC and the BoR's push to grow undergraduate population at AU.

Much of Macon's size and growth is "hidden" by Houston County being counted as a separate metro, but the distance between Macon and WR is the same as Buckhead to Hartsfield. Tourism dollars generated in Bibb and Houston outpace everywhere else in Georgia except Atlanta and Savannah (re: the State Fair). And that's only going to grow with Ocmulgee Mounds being turned into a National Park site.

Columbus has developed into the state's fourth foodie town, after Atlanta, Savannah, and Athens. Its downtown is more compact than the other two and has a higher number of local establishments than the other two downtowns, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was outpaced by Augusta within a few years and by Macon not long after that.



All three of the cities are somewhat similar with a common history and each of them have taken steps to rejuvenate their historic CBDs. Macon's is uniquely large but it has and will be helped by Mercer's growth plan, it's a small university but a rich one. AU and CSU have each been transitioning to a more traditional undergrad student body which will help spur creative growth and downtown residents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsville_secede View Post
If I-14 does end up getting built anytime in our lifetime it could fuel growth in Augusta/Columbus and Macon.
It won't
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2019, 12:17 PM
 
Location: Columbus, GA and Brookhaven, GA
4,491 posts, read 6,360,452 times
Reputation: 1117
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayHey View Post
What exactly is the metric for "ascendency"?

Is it population size or growth? Is it tourism dollars spent? Is it the highest number of chef-driven restaurants with Edison bulb lighting?



Augusta is the largest by far and has lots growth being spurred by Cyber CC and the BoR's push to grow undergraduate population at AU.

Much of Macon's size and growth is "hidden" by Houston County being counted as a separate metro, but the distance between Macon and WR is the same as Buckhead to Hartsfield. Tourism dollars generated in Bibb and Houston outpace everywhere else in Georgia except Atlanta and Savannah (re: the State Fair). And that's only going to grow with Ocmulgee Mounds being turned into a National Park site.

Columbus has developed into the state's fourth foodie town, after Atlanta, Savannah, and Athens. Its downtown is more compact than the other two and has a higher number of local establishments than the other two downtowns, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was outpaced by Augusta within a few years and by Macon not long after that.



All three of the cities are somewhat similar with a common history and each of them have taken steps to rejuvenate their historic CBDs. Macon's is uniquely large but it has and will be helped by Mercer's growth plan, it's a small university but a rich one. AU and CSU have each been transitioning to a more traditional undergrad student body which will help spur creative growth and downtown residents.



It won't
Having lived in Athens for undergrad and grad school, I would say Columbus has surpassed Athens as a foodie town. Downtown restaurant growth in Columbus is staggering. With the Krog Street Market type development going in, Columbus is leaps ahead of the other cities. I work in all 3 consistently and Columbus is far ahead of the others with downtown revitalization.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2019, 12:29 PM
 
Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,310 posts, read 12,640,704 times
Reputation: 819
Augusta’s economy, MSA, urban area, etc is already larger than Savannah. What’s the criteria used to separate it from the fall line cites? It’s job growth is not higher than Augusta right now without the future Cyber Command.

Even with Augusta losing Whole Foods. We still have Costco, Publix, Fresh Market, Earthfare, Aldi, and the new Sprouts and Lidl. National corporations obviously don’t view Savannah being a tier above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2019, 12:36 PM
 
4,701 posts, read 1,709,890 times
Reputation: 3165
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
Augusta’s economy, MSA, urban area, etc is already larger than Savannah. What’s the criteria used to separate it from the fall line cites? It’s job growth is not higher than Augusta right now without the future Cyber Command.

Even with Augusta losing Whole Foods. We still have Costco, Publix, Fresh Market, Earthfare, Aldi, and the new Sprouts and Lidl. National corporations obviously don’t view Savannah being a tier above.
Savannah's growing at a faster rate, having added an estimated 40,000 people since 2010. Its growth is being driven by the rapid expansion of the port as well as the tourism industry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2019, 12:51 PM
 
Location: St Simons Island, GA
23,125 posts, read 36,356,975 times
Reputation: 15465
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayHey View Post
What exactly is the metric for "ascendency"?
That's a good question, and frankly a hard one for me to articulate.

I guess I'm looking for one of them to acquire the 'It' factor of cities like Savannah, Charleston, Austin, Portland, Asheville, Nashville and most recently, Greenville and Columbia, SC. All of them have the goods to get there; they just need that push of energy to get to that place. What will it take, IYO?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2019, 12:53 PM
 
Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,310 posts, read 12,640,704 times
Reputation: 819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
That's a good question, and frankly a hard one for me to articulate.

I guess I'm looking for one of them to acquire the 'It' factor of cities like Savannah, Charleston, Austin, Portland, Asheville, Nashville and most recently, Greenville and Columbia, SC. All of them have the goods to get there; they just need that push of energy to get to that place. What will it take, IYO?
Ok, now I agree with this premise. I would say Augusta’s ‘it’ factor is kinda on par with Columbia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2019, 01:00 PM
 
Location: St Simons Island, GA
23,125 posts, read 36,356,975 times
Reputation: 15465
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
Ok, now I agree with this premise. I would say Augusta’s ‘it’ factor is kinda on par with Columbia.
Here's a three-point plan for Augusta:

1. Build on the Augusta National franchise.
2. Build on the existing historic areas; preserve those structures at all costs.
3. Continue developing the riverfront.

In short, acquire a Savannah/Charleston mindset.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top