Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2017, 03:21 PM

442 posts, read 1,578,967 times

Advertisements

Any suggestions for mountain hiking, waterfalls, swimming, and cabin stay in an all-in-one-spot in Georgia? Specifics would be much appreciated if you have any. We're coming from the city and looking to get away from it all, but it would also be nice to stay somewhere secure and not too far secluded or far from town in the event of emergency, such as a small vacation rental area or possibly state park. This will be a weekend couples get away and we prefer a cabin in a scenic area with natural outdoor activities.

I have done a bit of looking around on the internet, but it's hard to grasp the lay out of an area or what it's like just from pictures. I've heard of Ellijay, Helen, Blue Ridge and Dahlonega. Helen and Dahlonega look like good options, but also like they might be on the touristy side? Are there opportunities for scenic cabin rentals and mountain hikes in these areas?

Open to suggestions, I've been browsing the web trying to check out different areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2017, 06:24 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,500,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloGrownGrl View Post
Any suggestions for mountain hiking, waterfalls, swimming, and cabin stay in an all-in-one-spot in Georgia? Specifics would be much appreciated if you have any. We're coming from the city and looking to get away from it all, but it would also be nice to stay somewhere secure and not too far secluded or far from town in the event of emergency, such as a small vacation rental area or possibly state park. This will be a weekend couples get away and we prefer a cabin in a scenic area with natural outdoor activities.

I have done a bit of looking around on the internet, but it's hard to grasp the lay out of an area or what it's like just from pictures. I've heard of Ellijay, Helen, Blue Ridge and Dahlonega. Helen and Dahlonega look like good options, but also like they might be on the touristy side? Are there opportunities for scenic cabin rentals and mountain hikes in these areas?

Open to suggestions, I've been browsing the web trying to check out different areas.
As the tallest waterfall east of the Rocky Mountains, Amicalola Falls is the most famous waterfall in Georgia.

Amicalola Falls (officially Amicalola Falls State Park and Lodge) is about 75 miles north of Atlanta and includes hiking trails, a guest lodge, restaurant, cabins and campground.

Amicalola Falls also provides near-direct access to the famous 2,200 mile-long Georgia-Maine Appalachian Trail whose southern terminus is only about 10-20 miles or so from Amicalola Falls and located within Amicalola Falls State Park.

Amicalola Falls Amicalola Falls State Park and Lodge in Dawsonville Georgia (Amicalola Falls State Park & Lodge)

Old 09-24-2017, 10:19 PM

1,990 posts, read 2,362,007 times
My family LOVES Amicalola State Park and Lodge. We go there every year. It is close enough to really enjoy a day trip and who can say enough about the gorgeous scenery and waterfall that is breathtaking in ANY season!

Unicoi State Park out from Helen is great, too.

Tallulah Gorge northeast of Cleveland and Clarkesville is REALLY beautiful this time of year. Go a little further north and stay (or at least eat) at Dillard House which has a charming inn and a delicious family style buffet.

Old 09-25-2017, 10:23 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,386,955 times
Highly recommend renting a cabin in the Blue Ridge area.

Old 09-26-2017, 02:12 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times
You really can't go wrong with any of the Georgia mountain state parks

Old 09-27-2017, 08:11 AM

23,463 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
You really can't go wrong with any of the Georgia mountain state parks
Say what you will, but Georgia State Parks have got it going on. One of m favorites:

Vogel State Park | State Parks & Historic Sites

Old 09-27-2017, 08:47 PM

442 posts, read 1,578,967 times
Any particular are or cabin rentals? A cabin in the mountains would be very nice, but I'm just not ready for something super secluded this time. Not looking for an over populated tourist community with all the modern amenities either, just a cozy in between. If you have any specific recommendations, I would love to look into them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Highly recommend renting a cabin in the Blue Ridge area.

Old 09-28-2017, 12:21 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,386,955 times
Quote:
Any particular are or cabin rentals? A cabin in the mountains would be very nice, but I'm just not ready for something super secluded this time. Not looking for an over populated tourist community with all the modern amenities either, just a cozy in between. If you have any specific recommendations, I would love to look into them.
Tons of good info here: Welcome to Georgia's Blue Ridge Experience - Fannin County Chamber of Commerce - Blue Ridge, Georgia

Old 10-10-2017, 09:08 AM

150 posts, read 481,873 times
Quote:

If you're not looking for an over populated tourist community then Blue Ridge is a horrible suggestion.

Old 06-01-2019, 11:19 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,404,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
As the tallest waterfall east of the Rocky Mountains, Amicalola Falls is the most famous waterfall in Georgia.

Amicalola Falls (officially Amicalola Falls State Park and Lodge) is about 75 miles north of Atlanta and includes hiking trails, a guest lodge, restaurant, cabins and campground.

Amicalola Falls also provides near-direct access to the famous 2,200 mile-long Georgia-Maine Appalachian Trail whose southern terminus is only about 10-20 miles or so from Amicalola Falls and located within Amicalola Falls State Park.

Amicalola Falls Amicalola Falls State Park and Lodge in Dawsonville Georgia (Amicalola Falls State Park & Lodge)
I went to this waterfall last weekend. Easy access to bottom, Midway and top of the falls. Or you can climb stairs all the way up.

Great view from the top of falls and even better from the lodge
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia