Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2019, 05:59 AM

2,084 posts, read 1,361,618 times

Advertisements

On the day he initially planned a trip to Hollywood to court film executives, Gov. Brian Kemp will instead privately tour Georgia studios and try to calm nervous industry officials wary of a growing backlash over the anti-abortion “heartbeat” law he signed.

The Republican plans a closed-door visit to a studio in metro Atlanta Wednesday to speak with executives and students in the film industry, rather than a roundtable discussion or other public event.

Director Reed Morano said she scrapped plans to film her new Amazon Studios show, “The Power,” because of the law. She told Time Magazine there was “no way we would ever bring our money to that state by shooting there...”

FULL STORY: https://www.ajc.com/blog/politics/ke...J6BO77uy9HVRK/

SOURCE: AJC

RELATED STORY:

The First TV Show Is Leaving Georgia Over the New Abortion Law. The Local Film Industry Fears What Comes Next

An Amazon Show Hs Pulled Out of Georgia Over Heartbeat Bill | Time

SOURCE: TIME Magazine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2019, 06:29 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,081,972 times
I hope Kemp or his handlers realize that this “closed door” meeting will be recorded and distributed by someone...

Old 05-22-2019, 08:25 AM

37,789 posts, read 41,454,075 times
Why is he trying to calm them? His supporters want them gone from Georgia and the legislation he signed will certainly help with that. Can't have your cake and eat it too.

Old 05-22-2019, 08:36 AM

23,299 posts, read 43,751,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Why is he trying to calm them? His supporters want them gone from Georgia and the legislation he signed will certainly help with that. Can't have your cake and eat it too.
Truer words. I'd love to be a fly on the wall in those meetings.
The 'c-list' comment was pure Trumpian boilerplate,

https://www.ajc.com/blog/politics/ke...nCGI4BevKOcUK/

Old 05-22-2019, 08:47 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,609,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Kemp and his supporters don't get that.

Folks tried to warn them before. Votes have consequences.

Old 05-23-2019, 07:54 AM

2,084 posts, read 1,361,618 times
Gov. Kemp tours Pinewood Atlanta Studios: 'I will continue to advance policies that empower job creators'

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/..._news_headline

Old 05-23-2019, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayHey View Post
I really appreciate the Peele/Abrams way of approaching this. By taking the tax breaks the state is giving them and pledging it to groups fighting the abortion law, they are taking state money and fighting the state with it.

This in turn supports a workforce that likely is against the law as well.

Would love to see this approach used more than a blanket boycott, seems more effective to me.

Down the road if the law is protected by the SC, that's when Hollywood can pull out completely.
The problem with that approach is that it doesn't hold those advlcating for such extremist laws accountable for their actions.

Even if it's struck down by the SC, once they realize there are no reprecussions from pushing the envelope, they will try it again and again with other extremist laws.

Old 05-31-2019, 12:52 PM

It looks like Kemp's so-called tour of Pinewood Studios was also a sham.

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/..._news_headline

Old 05-31-2019, 01:42 PM

23,299 posts, read 43,751,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Kemp and his supporters don't get that.
Deal did. He simply would have stamped a veto on it and declared it bad for business in Georgia, just like his treatment of the Religious Freedom Bill.

Old 05-31-2019, 03:36 PM

3,006 posts, read 2,606,937 times
I hope Hollywood will be patient or come back once metro Atlanta is dominant enough politically to banish these slack-jawed yokels forever. We're so close. Every census estimate I see that shows rural Georgia shrinking makes me happy. So tired of this dumbass state holding us back. I laughed yesterday when Kemp issued a press release gloating about Invesco's expansion and bragging on Georgia as a pro-business state when at this very moment he's threatening 100,000 jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
View detailed profiles of: