U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-30-2019, 09:35 AM
 
Location: Lake Spivey, Georgia
1,990 posts, read 1,598,152 times
Reputation: 2228

Advertisements

Go down to Lane Packing Company down I-75 a few miles past Macon in Fort Valley, the county seat of Georgia's Peach County. My family makes the trip every year. There, you will DEFINITELY see peach orchards going on for miles! You can take a paid orchard tour via a historic Bluebird bus (another famous product of Fort Valley, Georgia) or just walk the catwalks over their packing operations for free (my kids LOVE this part) You will see truck load after truck load of peaches dumped, washed, sorted, and packages by scores of workers. They have VERY delicious peach ice cream and cobbler. a Farmers Market type of store with peaches (or course) and many other types of produce they grow there (vegetables, tomatoes, the aforementioned blueberries, and even citrus fruit from Lane's Indian River citrus operations in central Florida), and a "touristy" type of gift shop that sells a bunch of kitschy "Georgia Peach" stuff. There is a wide veranda with rocking chairs and a great playground that includes old tractors for the kids to play on; DEFINITELY worth a day trip to me. Its fun. You could combine it with a trip to Macon's many historic sites, or even to the FREE and very unique Museum of Aviation at nearby Warner Robbins (another favorite of my children).


Incidentally, my father, who was an ag major alumni from the University of Georgia, always told me that most of Metro Atlanta was a tad too cold to have the large scale peach production much more common in the central part of the state, Also, Georgia being behind South Carolina and California in peach production is nothing new. When he was doing an agricultural survey in upstate South Carolina for the University of Georgia in the mid 1950's a grizzly old farmer asked him, "How come Georgia is called the Peach State; South Carolina grows more peaches than Georgia, so does California."

My father replied, "Sir, they aren't talking about the fruit! They are referring to the "two-legged peaches" that you see walking down Peachtree Street. Sir, you have to know that Georgia is known for its beautiful women!" The old farmer took off his hat, slapped his forehead, and grinned in agreement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-30-2019, 10:08 AM
 
Location: Ono Island, Orange Beach, AL
10,215 posts, read 9,888,154 times
Reputation: 5902
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton white guy View Post
Go down to Lane Packing Company down I-75 a few miles past Macon in Fort Valley, the county seat of Georgia's Peach County. My family makes the trip every year. There, you will DEFINITELY see peach orchards going on for miles! You can take a paid orchard tour via a historic Bluebird bus (another famous product of Fort Valley, Georgia) or just walk the catwalks over their packing operations for free (my kids LOVE this part) You will see truck load after truck load of peaches dumped, washed, sorted, and packages by scores of workers. They have VERY delicious peach ice cream and cobbler. a Farmers Market type of store with peaches (or course) and many other types of produce they grow there (vegetables, tomatoes, the aforementioned blueberries, and even citrus fruit from Lane's Indian River citrus operations in central Florida), and a "touristy" type of gift shop that sells a bunch of kitschy "Georgia Peach" stuff. There is a wide veranda with rocking chairs and a great playground that includes old tractors for the kids to play on; DEFINITELY worth a day trip to me. Its fun. You could combine it with a trip to Macon's many historic sites, or even to the FREE and very unique Museum of Aviation at nearby Warner Robbins (another favorite of my children).


Incidentally, my father, who was an ag major alumni from the University of Georgia, always told me that most of Metro Atlanta was a tad too cold to have the large scale peach production much more common in the central part of the state, Also, Georgia being behind South Carolina and California in peach production is nothing new. When he was doing an agricultural survey in upstate South Carolina for the University of Georgia in the mid 1950's a grizzly old farmer asked him, "How come Georgia is called the Peach State; South Carolina grows more peaches than Georgia, so does California."

My father replied, "Sir, they aren't talking about the fruit! They are referring to the "two-legged peaches" that you see walking down Peachtree Street. Sir, you have to know that Georgia is known for its beautiful women!" The old farmer took off his hat, slapped his forehead, and grinned in agreement.
Love the story about your dad!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2019, 01:48 PM
 
Location: The South
5,813 posts, read 4,030,577 times
Reputation: 9104
Lane is pretty touristy. If you want to see a real packing operation Visit Pearson’s in peach season. Get you a homemade peach ice cream and watch the ladies grade and sort the peaches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2019, 02:18 PM
 
43 posts, read 48,456 times
Reputation: 59
Plenty in Middle Ga, South of Macon...Houston, Peach, and Crawford County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2019, 05:57 PM
bu2
 
10,771 posts, read 7,120,816 times
Reputation: 4717
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Yes - they are abundant in central and south Georgia. When I was 16, I worked during the summer on a peach farm. That was not fun at all...
Plenty down there. Just head south of the gnat line. Peach and Pecan trees all over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2019, 10:58 PM
 
31,853 posts, read 29,575,686 times
Reputation: 20103
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJDeadParrot View Post
When I moved down here 20 years ago, that was one of the first things I noticed on the drive down I-85 between Gastonia and Greenville was acres and acres of peach trees, punctuated by roadside stands. In fact, the Peachoid in Gaffney once stood in the middle of a large field of peach trees. So, I'm not all that surprised that South Carolina outproduces Georgia.
Good ol' I-85 in SC: peaches, fireworks, and Jesus.

But yes Cherokee County, SC is a big producer of peaches and is the home of the state peach festival. I'm from farther south in the state and I grew up on peaches; there was a peach farm a few short miles north of us and we always bought peaches from the farmer there every summer. My cousins had a peach tree in their front yard as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2019, 07:25 AM
 
Location: Soda City
740 posts, read 345,053 times
Reputation: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Good ol' I-85 in SC: peaches, fireworks, and Jesus.

But yes Cherokee County, SC is a big producer of peaches and is the home of the state peach festival. I'm from farther south in the state and I grew up on peaches; there was a peach farm a few short miles north of us and we always bought peaches from the farmer there every summer. My cousins had a peach tree in their front yard as well.
Bigger than the one in Gilbert? I’ve never been to that one so I should check it out. When is it held?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2019, 08:44 AM
 
31,853 posts, read 29,575,686 times
Reputation: 20103
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonCoombes View Post
Bigger than the one in Gilbert? I’ve never been to that one so I should check it out. When is it held?
It probably is bigger than the one in Gilbert although I'm not sure. It's the third weekend in July: https://discoversouthcarolina.com/products/516
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2019, 11:09 AM
 
815 posts, read 460,613 times
Reputation: 1274
Yes I've seen them here and there. Not a lot of them, but they are here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2019, 07:03 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
1,187 posts, read 1,099,652 times
Reputation: 1287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Asside from street signs and lottery tickets, I've never seen anything but pine trees.

I'm sure they exist but I guess one would expect to see an abundance of them.
They are defintely in and around the Valdosta area. I really can’t speak for acreage vs South Carolina but you can definitely see them from the road. In fact, they’re right up to the road in that area. That’s the only place that I’ve ever seen them but they’re obviously elsewhere in the state. Pecans are actually our number one produce and pecans are essentially everywhere from the Fall Line to the Florida boarder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top