Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2019, 08:13 PM

13,975 posts, read 25,823,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_kid View Post
I even hear that states like South Carolina, New Jersey, and Ohio are trying to claim themselves more of a peach state than GA. California is said to produce more which is understandable but I want to say that GA has more quality than quantity over Cali but SC and NJ can't have better peaches than us.
I seen plenty of peach orchards in CA, SC, and southern GA, but the only place I ever picked my own was in NJ, and they were wonderful. Unfortunately, the three big orchards in the area of NJ I grew up are all gone now, turned into housing developments and business parks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2019, 03:49 PM

446 posts, read 390,797 times
I grew up in Georgia and never saw a peach tree in my life until my first trip to South Carolina.

Of course, that was 60-odd years ago, I grew up the city far from peach orchards and any other type of orchards, and in that pre-interstate era all road trips were done on highways that ran right through farming country ...

Even so, on the drive northeast from Atlanta I didn't see one peach tree in Georgia ...

As to the title question, Have I ever seen a Peachtree in Georgia? -- Yes. I have seen dozens. Peachtree Street. Peachtree Road. West Peachtree. Peachtree Terrace. Peachtree Creek. Peachtree Avenue. Peachtree Park Drive. ...

Old 06-04-2019, 07:42 PM

23,310 posts, read 43,763,348 times
I remember a news item years ago regarding 'The Last Peach Tree on Peachtree Road'. There was actually a mature Peach tree growing near the intersection of Peachtree Road and Peachtree Hills Avenue in Buckhead. No one knew its history, but the City Arborist was aware of its existence as it was growing on a city easement.
Sadly, it was deemed too diseased to remain and the city cut it down.

Old 06-11-2019, 12:46 PM

176 posts, read 154,273 times
Yes I have they are located near Perry and Fort Valley. It’s funny Atlanta calls everything Peachtree and the city doesn’t have one anywhere.

Old 06-11-2019, 12:54 PM

23,310 posts, read 43,763,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1999 View Post
Yes I have they are located near Perry and Fort Valley. It’s funny Atlanta calls everything Peachtree and the city doesn’t have one anywhere.
It was noted earlier in the thread that 'Peachtree' may well have been a bastardization of 'Pitch Tree' which was a translation of the Creek word for Pine Tree.

Old 06-11-2019, 12:59 PM

1,054 posts, read 865,936 times
Atlanta's history with the origin of the name Peachtree St and all its variations aside, there are lots of peach trees in and around the city.

There's one growing in Piedmont Park, there's a whole row of them along the Freedom Trail by the Carter Center. They grow just fine in Atlanta.

Old 06-11-2019, 02:23 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,342,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Asside from street signs and lottery tickets, I've never seen anything but pine trees.

I'm sure they exist but I guess one would expect to see an abundance of them.

Sure, just up the road. My wife made money as a kid by selling them from her front yard, having picked them from an orchard that's still there today. Actually...

https://www.facebook.com/Carroll-Far...1614226915675/

Here are some listed places to pick your own:

https://pickyourown.farm/farms/woodbury-ga/peaches/

Old 06-13-2019, 12:14 AM

1,939 posts, read 2,146,329 times
I live about an hour from ATL and there is a peach orchard 5 mins from here. They sell the most wonderful peach ice cream every summer. Sadly, a late frost took out some or a lot of their trees and they are shipping the peaches in for this year, from elsewhere in GA.

Old 06-13-2019, 06:07 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,780,227 times
There are orchards around Woodbury, GA so don't have to go as far as Fort Valley to find good orchards. I can say that in my lifetime, less and less orchards are found. I remember a lot of orchards on the drive from Griffin to Hogansville in my childhood, Spalding, Pike, Meriwether and Troup all had a lot of orchards in the day. Most of these are planted in pines these days.

I do recall seeing a packing house open in Hollonville (an unicorporated community in far north Pike County) on a trip back home a few summers ago. Not too far from Senoia and Peachtree City.

Old 06-13-2019, 06:16 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,780,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdarocks View Post
I live about an hour from ATL and there is a peach orchard 5 mins from here. They sell the most wonderful peach ice cream every summer. Sadly, a late frost took out some or a lot of their trees and they are shipping the peaches in for this year, from elsewhere in GA.
This is why so many of the folks I know have quit raising peaches. Late frosts can ruin a crop. Why I don't get why Greenville SC is such a big peach growing area. Being further north, seems like they would have it worse.

But then again, my brother in Colorado Springs says there are great peaches grown in that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia