Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2019, 09:27 AM

16,175 posts, read 32,478,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
urbanmyth, I believe that many moons ago, Georgia, indeed, grew many more peaches than any other state; however, over time, that has changed. Yet, Georigia retained its moniker. I do believe that Georgia peaches are considered to be the best.
Yes, quality over quantity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2019, 06:17 AM

6,538 posts, read 12,030,552 times
So they won't grow/survive in the metro Atlanta area? I thought about planting one in the front yard.

Old 07-09-2019, 10:02 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,852,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
So they won't grow/survive in the metro Atlanta area? I thought about planting one in the front yard.
Peaches require a certain amount of sub freezing temps and warm humid summers to be perfect. They will grow in metro Atlanta but late frosts can kill the fruit. Why the belt for growing them comercially is south of Atlanta but even then, frosts creep further south and can devastate the crop. You can grow them, we had one in Marietta, but half the time a late frost killed the fruit.

Old 07-09-2019, 10:18 AM

1,383 posts, read 1,560,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Peaches require a certain amount of sub freezing temps and warm humid summers to be perfect. They will grow in metro Atlanta but late frosts can kill the fruit. Why the belt for growing them comercially is south of Atlanta but even then, frosts creep further south and can devastate the crop. You can grow them, we had one in Marietta, but half the time a late frost killed the fruit.
In other words, its similar to the upkeep required to keep a palm tree alive in Atlanta.

Old 07-09-2019, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJDeadParrot View Post
In other words, its similar to the upkeep required to keep a palm tree alive in Atlanta.
Haha, they do survive freezes during the winter.... require freezing temps in fact. Why Florida is not a peach growing state. It's the freeze after they have budded that is destructive. A mild winter with not enough frosts can cause early spring growth and budding which are then susceptible to later frost, so a good cold winter is good for the crop.

Old 07-09-2019, 01:51 PM

11,775 posts, read 7,986,237 times
Can they artificially farm and freeze accordingly?

Old 07-09-2019, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Can they artificially farm and freeze accordingly?
That's why California peaches have no taste

Old 07-09-2019, 03:27 PM

11,775 posts, read 7,986,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
That's why California peaches have no taste
Where is the sweet spot / most desirable location in GA for peaches in that case? or is it more so a case by case random scenario each year kind of thing?

Old 07-09-2019, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Where is the sweet spot / most desirable location in GA for peaches in that case? or is it more so a case by case random scenario each year kind of thing?
Fort Valley, GA is ground zero for the peach industry. So much that it is the seat of Peach County.

Closer to Atlanta there are good orchards and packing houses around Woodbury, GA and across the Flint in Pike County. Woodbury is where we always headed to get good peaches. My niece posted pics on FB of taking the kids to an orchard near Senoia but googling peach orchards and Senoia didn't yield much.

Old 07-12-2019, 08:54 AM

2,018 posts, read 1,310,086 times
I've seen peach trees because I had two peach trees in my yard (near Decatur) for the last ~20 years. One split and fell on the other which then fell on the fence, so I had to cut them up. Fruit trees don't live very long, typically.

Honestly, they were kind of a pain in the neck; I haven't decided whether to plant another peach in that spot. As the peach farmer said in an AJC interview, "Every creature on this planet wants to eat peaches". It's a constant battle with everything from microbes to insects to squirrels who take one bite out each peach while they're still green. And then they drop and rot. I never got a batch that was really good to eat due to my lack of effort in protecting them.

But they're sooo pretty from spring flowers up to the time of branches sagging with fruit that I'm wavering.

As for peaches to eat, we made some vanilla ice cream on the patio for the 4th of July, and cut up some peaches to put on that. DW has a knack for finding perfect peaches and getting them to finish ripening at just the right time.
In case you didn't know, the ones in the grocery store aren't ripe. You take them home and let them sit on the counter, not touching, until they have that smell that overpowers your sense of restraint. Those won't be as good as ones that you pull off the tree at the right moment as you remember from old times, but hey, it's still a peach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia