U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2019, 06:27 AM

3,771 posts, read 3,437,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKanye View Post
No, what Disney and other companies are saying is that the Georgia law violates Constitutional due process guaranteed to all American female citizens. There is much more to the Constitution than the 2nd Amendment, no matter how much Hannity, Tucker and others whine otherwise.

The laws of Bolivia or Croatia have no bearing on the U.S. Constitution. All foreigners, male and female (including Americans) visiting those countries must obey their local laws.

Here's the quote:

“We operate and produce work in many states and within several countries at any given time and while that doesn’t mean we agree with every position taken by a state or a country and their leaders, we do respect due process,” WarnerMedia said in a statement. The company said it will “reconsider Georgia as the home to any new productions” if the new law holds.

Iger took a similar stance Wednesday. When asked by Reuters whether Disney would keep filming in Georgia after the law takes effect, Iger said, “I rather doubt we will. I think many people who work for us will not want to work there, and we will have to heed their wishes in that regard. Right now we are watching it very carefully.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...=.ed6df0535696
If a state can proclaim itself a sanctuary state, thus usurping federal law, then having a bill that does not ban abortion but does place restrictions I would argue does not go against the constitution. And, I'm really curious... Disney also owns ESPN. Are they going to quit broadcasting UGA and GAtech? And now LSU? Missou? UK and the other states that have passed or have legislation pending?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2019, 06:28 AM

4,721 posts, read 1,729,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
These days, from a political perspective SC has been laying relatively low while conservative legislators in Atlanta and Raleigh act a fool. That's probably the best you're going to get right now in the Deep South.
My theory is that the conservatives in SC don't feel nearly as threatened as those in GA and NC do, since they don't really have an economic/cultural hub that would attract a ton of northern/liberal transplants and fundamentally transform the state.

Conservatives in GA and NC are sort of like wounded animals right now. They see, for the first time ever, their way of living is on the verge of bring changed permanently with their rapid demographic shifts and they're fighting for their lives to push back against it.

Old 05-31-2019, 07:08 AM

31,857 posts, read 29,575,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
My theory is that the conservatives in SC don't feel nearly as threatened as those in GA and NC do, since they don't really have an economic/cultural hub that would attract a ton of northern/liberal transplants and fundamentally transform the state.

Conservatives in GA and NC are sort of like wounded animals right now. They see, for the first time ever, their way of living is on the verge of bring changed permanently with their rapid demographic shifts and they're fighting for their lives to push back against it.
Exactly. SC has been one of the fastest-growing states for a few years now, but it tends to attract a lot of retirees who are older and more conservative, and many of the families it attracts are of the suburban Republican type that are actually somewhat more libertarian in nature.

Old 05-31-2019, 07:10 AM

145 posts, read 53,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
If a state can proclaim itself a sanctuary state, thus usurping federal law, then having a bill that does not ban abortion but does place restrictions I would argue does not go against the constitution. And, I'm really curious... Disney also owns ESPN. Are they going to quit broadcasting UGA and GAtech? And now LSU? Missou? UK and the other states that have passed or have legislation pending?
A sanctuary state? You have it completely backwards. Women would flee Georgia for medical procedures. Georgia would be a hostile state not a sanctuary. States cannot call themselves "sanctuary states" any time they don't want to follow the U.S. Constitution.

Why? Read about the Supremacy Clause, where federal law overrules state law. States cannot usurp federal law.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supremacy_Clause

Old 05-31-2019, 07:33 AM

1,009 posts, read 441,243 times
I am for the right to choose and think abortion is not a political issue but has been weaponized by both sides to rally their base. That being said Disney has been filming in:

Bolivia, where abortion is illegal

Croatia, where abortion is illegal after 11 weeks

The UAE, where abortion is illegal and homosexual is illegal

Jordan who has strict abortion laws

Disney has no problem filming in any of these locations, but now suddenly Georgia is the enemy?

Not sure why Georgia is such a big deal if they are willing to film in these other places?

Old 05-31-2019, 07:45 AM

3,448 posts, read 3,451,326 times
Default Now Disney..

Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post

Correct! That is a major part of why we are witnessing this picked up pace of extreme social legislation... It's like they realize that they are in a "now or never" time frame.

Old 05-31-2019, 07:52 AM

949 posts, read 426,879 times
I don't follow the logic behind saying since Bolivia, Croatia, UAE, and Jordan does it, Georgia shouldn't be an issue.

I would have thought, as citizens of Georgia, we'd expect to be a better place to live than any of those countries.

Disney must consider Georgia a better place than those countries, because it is expecting a lot more of it.

Not to mention that Disney is an American company and should concern itself with laws in the US more than laws in other countries. That's not to say it shouldn't concern itself with other countries' laws, maybe leaving Georgia over our regressive laws will cause Disney to stop filming in those other regressive countries mentioned.

Old 05-31-2019, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayHey View Post
I don't follow the logic behind saying since Bolivia, Croatia, UAE, and Jordan does it, Georgia shouldn't be an issue.

I would have thought, as citizens of Georgia, we'd expect to be a better place to live than any of those countries.

Disney must consider Georgia a better place than those countries, because it is expecting a lot more of it.

Not to mention that Disney is an American company and should concern itself with laws in the US more than laws in other countries. That's not to say it shouldn't concern itself with other countries' laws, maybe leaving Georgia over our regressive laws will cause Disney to stop filming in those other regressive countries mentioned.

Because that wasn't my logic. Disney is fine filming in those places but not in Georgia? Makes no sense.

Old 05-31-2019, 10:22 AM

3,878 posts, read 1,531,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
Because that wasn't my logic. Disney is fine filming in those places but not in Georgia? Makes no sense.
Does Disney have actual studio's in those locations? I didn't see any for the UAE.

Old 05-31-2019, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Does Disney have actual studio's in those locations? I didn't see any for the UAE.

You don't have to have a studio to film there. There isn't a studio in Inman Park but various production companies are filming off North Highland all the time. It is just confusing how they can film in the Middle East of all places which has a horrible human rights record regarding well...ust about anything but want to boycott Georgia. I am very against the heartbeat bill it will be stuck down by the SCOTUS but it is odd they are filming in other locations that are so intolerant that they make backwoods Georgia look tolerant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or