Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2019, 08:52 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,374,289 times

Advertisements

Interesting look at recent US Supreme Court considerations of anti-abortion legislation. https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/29/opini...man/index.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2019, 09:39 AM

1,990 posts, read 2,359,058 times
Disney wants to wipe out future consumers of their products? Seems like a short sighted business decision to me.

Old 05-30-2019, 09:42 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,374,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton white guy View Post
Disney wants to wipe out future consumers of their products? Seems like a short sighted business decision to me.
Now, that is simply hyperbole.

Old 05-30-2019, 10:23 AM

2,580 posts, read 2,483,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seussie View Post
I'm frustrated that so few companies are actually devising a plan to fight this. They'd rather "monitor the situation." How useless and how privileged. It's what the Kempsters wanted. I would have never said this but what Peale is doing makes the most sense to me for businesses that claim to value their female employees. You can move your studios out of the state but you'll be pressed to find another cheaper one since this bill is popping up everywhere.
The reason why there is a "monitor the situation" stance is common because the Georgia business community is still more conservative than progressive. The only time they chime in if it disturbs their bottom line (see Delta's actions towards Casey Cagle). Furthermore, Georgia is not Illinois where it can tip the political equation based on one area. It's why most other metro areas of Georgia with the exception of Athens are ambivalent to this law because it is a zero-sum game to them.

Old 05-30-2019, 03:02 PM

1,180 posts, read 982,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonCoombes View Post
They could literally move right next door to SC in the Charlotte burbs. Which would be cheaper. And S.C. always rejects these bills because they put business and the economy first. Did the same thing when a senator suggested they make a HB2 type bill. Majority of legislators and Nikki Haley both shut it down fast. Saying it’s unnecessary. And while S.C. does have a fetal heartbeat bill, I give it little chance of passing. Bureaucracy tends to win there instead of legislation. And lately, SC has been capitalizing on other states “failures” (for lack of a better word).
South Carolina is nothing to aspire to.

Old 05-30-2019, 05:24 PM

1,124 posts, read 924,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Scientist View Post
Apparently it’s a better option than Georgia atm. Just like we won from HB2, we’ll win from this. No doubt.

Old 05-30-2019, 05:55 PM
bu2

24,070 posts, read 14,859,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Now, that is simply hyperbole.
Someone with a sense of humor. I was laughing.

Old 05-30-2019, 07:09 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,140,130 times
Disney filmed Star Wars the Last Jedi in Croatia (abortion illegal after 10 weeks) - Ireland (Illegal after 12 weeks)- Bolivia (abortion is illegal). Disney is pandering, I'll bet they have no intention of pulling of of Georgia if they were going to film here anyway....

Old 05-30-2019, 09:28 PM

145 posts, read 93,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
Disney filmed Star Wars the Last Jedi in Croatia (abortion illegal after 10 weeks) - Ireland (Illegal after 12 weeks)- Bolivia (abortion is illegal). Disney is pandering, I'll bet they have no intention of pulling of of Georgia if they were going to film here anyway....
No, what Disney and other companies are saying is that the Georgia law violates Constitutional due process guaranteed to all American female citizens. There is much more to the Constitution than the 2nd Amendment, no matter how much Hannity, Tucker and others whine otherwise.

The laws of Bolivia or Croatia have no bearing on the U.S. Constitution. All foreigners, male and female (including Americans) visiting those countries must obey their local laws.

Here's the quote:

“We operate and produce work in many states and within several countries at any given time and while that doesn’t mean we agree with every position taken by a state or a country and their leaders, we do respect due process,” WarnerMedia said in a statement. The company said it will “reconsider Georgia as the home to any new productions” if the new law holds.

Iger took a similar stance Wednesday. When asked by Reuters whether Disney would keep filming in Georgia after the law takes effect, Iger said, “I rather doubt we will. I think many people who work for us will not want to work there, and we will have to heed their wishes in that regard. Right now we are watching it very carefully.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...=.ed6df0535696

Old 05-30-2019, 11:42 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,890,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Scientist View Post
These days, from a political perspective SC has been laying relatively low while conservative legislators in Atlanta and Raleigh act a fool. That's probably the best you're going to get right now in the Deep South.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia