Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2019, 06:14 PM

5,616 posts, read 8,650,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
They came across country because Georgia had a governor with common sense who knew better than to bite the hand that feeds it. That's no longer the case. And these companies negotiated such a situation into their contracts with the production facilities in Georgia.

As far as accessibility, Atlanta/Georgia shouldn't get the big head. Any half-way decent-size city has good enough air connectivity to/from other entertainment hubs.
No they came because it was a better financial situation. They didn’t come because Deal was in office lol. It’s a better business investment to work in a pro-business, low tax state like Georgia. Same reason many companies and people are fleeing high tax states. Just had two friends from LA move to Atlanta to escape the high cost. There are lots of options when it comes to states and they chose here. To back off from that would be a poor business decision that will cost them millions in the long run.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2019, 06:57 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,391,191 times
If you really think there aren't other options for the film industry I don't know what to tell you. Georgia isn't that special in that regard. This will do far more to hurt Georgia than Hollywood or any company. Especially when WarnerMedia is the parent company of CNN/Turner.

Old 05-30-2019, 07:42 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,702,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsville_secede View Post
If you really think there aren't other options for the film industry I don't know what to tell you. Georgia isn't that special in that regard. This will do far more to hurt Georgia than Hollywood or any company. Especially when WarnerMedia is the parent company of CNN/Turner.
Agreed.

And the bolded can't be stressed enough.

Old 05-30-2019, 07:45 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,702,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
No they came because it was a better financial situation. They didn’t come because Deal was in office lol. It’s a better business investment to work in a pro-business, low tax state like Georgia. Same reason many companies and people are fleeing high tax states. Just had two friends from LA move to Atlanta to escape the high cost. There are lots of options when it comes to states and they chose here. To back off from that would be a poor business decision that will cost them millions in the long run.
They certainly didn't boycott (or threaten to boycott) while Deal was in office, did they?

https://www.apnews.com/b588b00d0728401d95e42bcb39749cdd

Quote:
In 2016, Deal took a stand against his own party and averted threatened boycotts by major corporations by vetoing a “religious liberties” bill that enumerated actions that “people of faith” would not have to perform for other people.

Old 05-30-2019, 09:31 PM

3,874 posts, read 4,696,375 times
Default Now the big one

Quote:
Sure they are entitled to leave. It’s free market capitalism. The reason though is asinine. Georgia has made them millions they otherwise wouldn’t make by producing in the over taxed hell hole of California. They should be grateful that a state like Georgia is willing to work with them to make it financially beneficial for them to set up shop here.
You have it backwards, my friend.
Georgia should be grateful when business wants to come to our state as is the case when the film companies want to set up shop & work here.
After living in Georgia for 40 years I've seen and heard a lot from our state government that has made me angry. But frankly I'm now so completely pissed at how right wing social beliefs are being legislated into policy for running the State of Georgia & in this particular legislative result for men to continue to control women's bodies that from my perspective it's Georgia that is the hell hole!

Old 05-30-2019, 11:24 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Georgia has always been a low tax state, but it wasnt until the TV/film incentives program got established in 2008 that the state became a hotbed of production. That was also around the time that NC stopped offering incentives for TV/film production which Georgia also benefitted from.

Georgia isn't the only state with an incentives program though, so production companies can easily minimize any losses by going to, say, NM instead. Even CA started offering incentives to production companies in order to stay competitive. And there's always Vancouver.

So yes, Gov. Deal's prudent decision to keep GA out of the limelight of the cultural wars was what kept those companies from threatening to pick up stakes and leave. Now that one of the culture warriors is in the governor's mansion, things aren't quite the same anymore. I would say Kemp must have been living under a rock when the whole HB2 fiasco was happening in NC and as a result Gov. McCrory was booted from office, but GA has a decidedly more Deep South brand of conservatism that aims to take Atlanta down a couple notches, so he may actually survive any economic fallout that might occur.

Old 06-20-2019, 04:19 PM

1,180 posts, read 983,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHrmn View Post
All these companies are pulling out. If everyone knew how to pull out, we wouldn't even be having a discussion about this bill.

Georgia likely has the problem because they think pulling out is an effective means of contraception. The issue is the lack of education most people have about biology as it relates to the human body. Georgia's willful ignorance will cost jobs. But that's okay, Georgia likes most of its citizens poor. Makes them easier to both demonize and manipulate to keep our overlords in power.

Old 06-20-2019, 11:41 PM

848 posts, read 1,120,054 times
Boycott Georgia. Not that there's really much to Georgia outside it's capital compared to any other states in the South. Florida and the Carolinas have the best beaches, North Carolina has the best mountains, Virginia has the most history. Georgia has the most... connecting airline passengers? The Georgia legislature did a bone headed thing, hopefully North Carolina is smart enough to take back the industry it's state legislature handed to Georgia.

Old 06-21-2019, 11:00 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,696,375 times
Default Now the big one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanmyth View Post
Boycott Georgia. Not that there's really much to Georgia outside it's capital compared to any other states in the South. Florida and the Carolinas have the best beaches, North Carolina has the best mountains, Virginia has the most history. Georgia has the most... connecting airline passengers? The Georgia legislature did a bone headed thing, hopefully North Carolina is smart enough to take back the industry it's state legislature handed to Georgia.

Not really... Although your apparent North Carolina-centric viewpoint & statements do not surprise me given the degree of passive-aggressive behavior my Charlotte friends use to wield against me, even in my early on fledgling days as a Georgian.
As for which states have the "best" beaches, best mountains, "most" history, etc., what you expressed are subjective opinions, not objective facts. You are entitled to have them but that just doesn't qualify them to be objective facts.
As for your opinion that there is nothing in Georgia outside of metro Atlanta, it is a fact that if the population of metro Atlanta were stripped away from Georgia, the state would STILL HAVE MORE PEOPLE than do the Southern states of Kentucky, West Virginia, Oklahoma, Arkansas & Mississippi while being approximately equivalent to that of Alabama & Louisiana.
May I correct you to note that North Carolina never "handed" the film industry to Georgia so there's nothing to "take back." What Georgia has for a film industry, it EARNED through hard work & smart policy. North Carolina would do well to take a lesson from Georgia's successful growth of that industry.
In fact, tiny Fayette County, Ga. all by itself now has more film-making capacity than the entire state of North Carolina ever had.
"Wilmywood" was once something to be reckoned with as an emerging film center but now it's basically a shadow of it's former self & largely a memory of what once was. The likelihood of reconstituting it is largely a pipe dream at this point in time.
As for state legislatures, yes the Georgia one is awful but overall so is the legislature of North Carolina. Both bodies are masterful practitioners of the 2 steps forward, one step backward mindset.
From what I read via news feeds out of North Carolina that I monitor, speaking of the the North Carolina legislature I see nothing that indicates that there are smarts &/or leadership in sufficient quantity to ever effectively put North Carolina back on the map as a film center of consequence.
Outsiders who visit us here at the Georgia forum are always welcome to express their opinions, but for me it is imperative that they come armed with facts.

Old 07-01-2019, 09:16 PM

848 posts, read 1,120,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
Not really... Although your apparent North Carolina-centric viewpoint & statements do not surprise me given the degree of passive-aggressive behavior my Charlotte friends use to wield against me, even in my early on fledgling days as a Georgian.
As for which states have the "best" beaches, best mountains, "most" history, etc., what you expressed are subjective opinions, not objective facts. You are entitled to have them but that just doesn't qualify them to be objective facts.
As for your opinion that there is nothing in Georgia outside of metro Atlanta, it is a fact that if the population of metro Atlanta were stripped away from Georgia, the state would STILL HAVE MORE PEOPLE than do the Southern states of Kentucky, West Virginia, Oklahoma, Arkansas & Mississippi while being approximately equivalent to that of Alabama & Louisiana.
May I correct you to note that North Carolina never "handed" the film industry to Georgia so there's nothing to "take back." What Georgia has for a film industry, it EARNED through hard work & smart policy. North Carolina would do well to take a lesson from Georgia's successful growth of that industry.
In fact, tiny Fayette County, Ga. all by itself now has more film-making capacity than the entire state of North Carolina ever had.
"Wilmywood" was once something to be reckoned with as an emerging film center but now it's basically a shadow of it's former self & largely a memory of what once was. The likelihood of reconstituting it is largely a pipe dream at this point in time.
As for state legislatures, yes the Georgia one is awful but overall so is the legislature of North Carolina. Both bodies are masterful practitioners of the 2 steps forward, one step backward mindset.
From what I read via news feeds out of North Carolina that I monitor, speaking of the the North Carolina legislature I see nothing that indicates that there are smarts &/or leadership in sufficient quantity to ever effectively put North Carolina back on the map as a film center of consequence.
Outsiders who visit us here at the Georgia forum are always welcome to express their opinions, but for me it is imperative that they come armed with facts.
Thank you for your subjective opinion. The coastline of Georgia is 1000 miles shorter than North Carolina and most of it is swamp. "Mountain of Georgia"? Your 5 tallest are big hills. The first number is actual elevation, the second is the topographic prominence.

1 Brasstown Bald 4,784 ft 2,108 ft
2 Rabun Bald 4,696 ft 1,016 ft
3 Dick's Knob 4,600 ft 160 ft
4 Hightower Bald 4,568 ft 808 ft
5 Wolfpen Ridge 4,561 ft 201 ft

1 Mount Mitchell 6,684 ft 6,094 ft
2 Mount Craig 6,647 ft 285 ft
3 Clingmans Dome 6,643 ft 4,505 ft
4 Mount Guyot 6,621 ft 1,581 ft
5 Balsam Cone 6,600 ft 360 ft

NC and Georgia has the same number of Fortune 1000 companies with the move of Suntrust and Honeywell to Charlotte.

NC has 6 cities with more than 200,000; Georgia has 1.

The fact that over half of your state's GDP is in just one city, and the capital city to boot, is kind of sad for the rest of your state. Macon, Columbus had to merge with their counties to realize any population gain. The 3.8 million left over in Georgia is about the population of Connecticut.

As far as arrogance goes, Georgia walks away with that prize. "Empire State of the South"? "Peach Tree" State? South Carolina produces more peaches.

Georgia and North Carolina are running neck and neck in most regards, but when it comes to geography and natural features, there's no contest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia