U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2019, 07:42 AM

1,497 posts, read 983,652 times

Advertisements

The thing is film production is not a "substantial" portion of the states economy. Actual directspending by the film industry in Georgia is less than $2 billion a year. That may sound like a lot but is a drop in the bucket compared to what other industries generate in econ impact. The film industry is more prone to "leakage" meaning not all that spending is camptured by Georgia but gets sent back to Hollywood. Also do t forget the film industry gets huge tax subsidies that other much larger Industries don't get to enjoy. Outdated Econ multiplier models have given an absurdly exaggerated impression of the size of this industry in The Peach State. I love seeing movies and TV being filmed here but it is not the mega Industry many are claiming it is. Georgia's economy will not collapse if Hollywood has a hissy fit and decides to take their toys and go home.

Old 06-03-2019, 07:52 AM

As for Virginia, the reason Hollywood doesn't film there because it is more expensive than Georgia. Higher labor costs, higher land costs. Higher everything. They film in Georgia because it is cheap not because Senoia bears any resemblance to the DC suburbs in The Walking Dead where the show currently is set. For all their political posturing Hollywood mostly cares about green. Where is it the cheapest to film and which state offers the most generous tax incentives.

Old 06-03-2019, 08:00 AM

815 posts, read 461,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
It’s all posturing. Everyone should realize it. Worst case scenario it does to the Supreme Court.

Drama like politics always is. But it keeps us in high post counts here so that is awesome!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
So far, all I've seen out of the film community over this is threats and political posturing. I can't imagine that they would act on this until they see the legal ramifications of the Heartbeat Bill play out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
I am going to take a wishy-washy stance on this. I don't think the film industry will totally go away solely due to the massive investments and commitments the industry has made here. However, this move will stunt any further growth. Fayette and Coweta Counties have hitched their economic futures to what they thought was going to be a thriving film industry. As much as I'd like to believe it's not going to have much effect, I just don't see how this is not going to be a crushing blow.

The thing I think is lost in this is that the financial incentives is not what actually generates profit for these businesses. It's consumers and a solid majority of the country is pro-choice. Even pro-lifers are not willing to go as far as these "heartbeat bills" go. The film companies are ultimately going to have to listen to what their consumer base is telling them.

Old 06-03-2019, 08:05 AM

1,009 posts, read 442,337 times
Quote:
Unless the extremists running the state suddenly have a change of heart and repeal it, there's no reason why it wouldn't go into effect.

Sigh. You don't understand how this works do you?

Old 06-03-2019, 08:07 AM

446 posts, read 233,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUGnative View Post
Walking Dead has sucked for years. And I laugh at how they try to pass off Fayette County Georgia as the DC suburbs
Walking Dead is just disgusting. Do we really need that sort of junk in Georgia? Money is not the most important thing on earth, regardless of what some seem to think.

Old 06-03-2019, 08:14 AM

Cidreaming makes an excellent point. I really don't think this will have a major impact at all on the state's economy and not even on metro Atlanta's economy. However I think a more significant effect will be felt in local economies like Coweta and Fayette. I don't think you will see existing productions being pulled but growth of the industry could slow. Indeed, Coweta and Fayette hitched their economic belts to the film industry. That is never a good idea to become too heavily dependant on one industry, especially one as flaky as Hollywood. Even if their was no heatbeat bill what if another state started offering even more Generous ta.x subsidies than Georgia. What would stop Hollywood from abandoning GA then for greener pastures? I am sure the producers of Walking Dead would try to convince everyone that Wyoming is the DC suburbs if they get enough money. The people of NC know just how fickle Hollywood can be. Nit long ago Wilmington, NC was the Hollywood of The South but once GA started offering all the tax giveaways film production started moving here..well what is stopping another state from undercutting GA, heartbeat bill or not

Old 06-03-2019, 08:30 AM

4,740 posts, read 1,736,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
Sigh. You don't understand how this works do you?
Please explain how it works, since you seem to know more...

Old 06-03-2019, 10:52 AM

1,326 posts, read 1,947,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saskia Calico View Post
Walking Dead is just disgusting. Do we really need that sort of junk in Georgia? Money is not the most important thing on earth, regardless of what some seem to think.
Huh? It's a show I don't really understand the point you're trying to make. How is filming a show detrimental to Georgia when it provides jobs?

Old 06-03-2019, 11:32 AM

8,725 posts, read 4,556,547 times
Quote:
Please explain how it works, since you seem to know more...
My view is that this bill was designed as a "shot across the bow" intended to gain conservative favor (and Kemp proving his "commitment" to his base) while privately understanding it WILL be declared unconstitutional - and therefore struck down from being enforced - at least as-is. I can't believe that the lawyers involved in drafting it felt it would be successful.

The point however, is to bring it to the Supreme Court for their say, which unless they hear one of the other cases first, they will definitely want to consider.

Old 06-03-2019, 11:44 AM

The bill is unenforceable under current constitutional law. The point of this bill is to get a legal challenge that goes to the Supreme Court and a decision that fully or partially overturns Row V Wade. States are passing these knds of bills because they view SCOTUS as Leaning more conservative and conditions being more favorable to overturning Roe V Wade or putting substantial limitations on it. These bills also play to the conservative base.. .but in the real world day to day lives of most Georgians this bill is unenforceable and more of a statement then anything else. At least Hollywood should be consistent and pull production from countrys that outright ban abortion (pretty much any middle eastern country).. oh and what about Ireland and New Zealand. Far more restrictive abortion laws there, is there a campaign I. Hollywood to cease filming in those countries?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia