U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2019, 12:46 PM

4,715 posts, read 1,723,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
My view is that this bill was designed as a "shot across the bow" intended to gain conservative favor (and Kemp proving his "commitment" to his base) while privately understanding it WILL be declared unconstitutional - and therefore struck down from being enforced - at least as-is. I can't believe that the lawyers involved in drafting it felt it would be successful.

The point however, is to bring it to the Supreme Court for their say, which unless they hear one of the other cases first, they will definitely want to consider.
I get why the bill was designed, but I also believe it's quite presumptious to think a Supreme Court with a conservative majority (and this is assuming the balance doesn't change to a stronger conservative majority) won't overturn Roe vs. Wade and deem Georgia's bill constitutional.

And even if they did uphold Roe vs. Wade and strike down Georgia's bill, I would be surprised if the case were heard before 1/1/2020, when the bill takes effect.

Old 06-03-2019, 12:51 PM

948 posts, read 426,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
I would be surprised if the case were heard before 1/1/2020, when the bill takes effect.

To make its way to the SC it would likely be blocked and found unConstitutional by multiple lower courts.

The Miss. state law wasn't supposed to go into effect until midsummer and it's already been blocked by a Federal judge.

Old 06-03-2019, 12:55 PM

1,497 posts, read 981,244 times
What JeyHey said. The bill would be blocked immediately. It would only go into effect if SCOTUS overturned Roe V Wade

Old 06-03-2019, 01:03 PM

1,326 posts, read 1,945,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
I get why the bill was designed, but I also believe it's quite presumptious to think a Supreme Court with a conservative majority (and this is assuming the balance doesn't change to a stronger conservative majority) won't overturn Roe vs. Wade and deem Georgia's bill constitutional.

And even if they did uphold Roe vs. Wade and strike down Georgia's bill, I would be surprised if the case were heard before 1/1/2020, when the bill takes effect.
Very risky either way, they're playing with fire. Even if the bill never goes to law they've created a ton of negative publicity and caused an embarrassment for the state that may have businesses and many women rethink any kind of investment or relocation to the state for the future.

Old 06-03-2019, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsville_secede View Post
Very risky either way, they're playing with fire. Even if the bill never goes to law they've created a ton of negative publicity and caused an embarrassment for the state that may have businesses and many women rethink any kind of investment or relocation to the state for the future.
Exactly.

It's frustrating that peope are willing to ruin the economic prosperity of their local area and the state over a petty culture war they have a significant chance of losing.

Old 06-03-2019, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayHey View Post
To make its way to the SC it would likely be blocked and found unConstitutional by multiple lower courts.

The Miss. state law wasn't supposed to go into effect until midsummer and it's already been blocked by a Federal judge.
It depends on whether the lower courts issue a stay on their decision. That's what happened when a Texas judge ruled that Obamacare was unconstitutional (thus Obamacare is still in effect).

It should also be noted that Mississippi is under a different federal court jurisdiction. As you probably know, each district has a tendency to do its own thing when it comes to the interpretation of the law (and from what I've heard, the 11th district has a history of being somewhat wonky).

Old 06-03-2019, 03:03 PM

459 posts, read 333,684 times
Alabama has stricter abortion laws than Georgia. No abortion period, even in cases of rape, or incest unless affects mothers health.
https://statelaws.findlaw.com/alabam...tion-laws.html

This abortion law can't be a surprise as Abrams was too far left for many Georgians and Kemp is a born and raised Republican Georgian, which represents many Georgian ideas, beliefs, values and ethics. I would suspect other laws are down the pipe as well. If you don't like it, you don't spend your money in Georgia and you don't buy products made in Georgia and you don't support, or do business with companies in Georgia. If you live in Georgia and are liberal you are going to have a long four years. I could care less what those Movie and TV companies think of the laws of any state I would reside in; however, they do employ a lot of people and if they start transferring all those jobs out of state. That is not a positive thing for Georgia. It's a slippery slope I'm not sure I would want to mess with, but it's not my call. Georgia knew what they elected to the Governor's office and I don't see this as any surprise. I don't see either Kemp, or Abrams being good candidates at all. All in all, I think Georgia got screwed. You either voting way far right, or way far left.

Old 06-03-2019, 03:47 PM

1,497 posts, read 981,244 times
Hartsfield airport alone has an economic impact 30 times that of the film industry and the port of Savannah almost the same. Yeah, it might be a bummer for places like Senioa and Fayette County, but people in Macon, Augusta, Columbus, Cordele, Rome, Valdosta, Albany, Statesboro, and Milledgeville will hardly notice a difference. Essentially the rest of the state is subsidizing a rather small industry that is centered in only a few counties.

Old 06-04-2019, 02:06 PM

783 posts, read 390,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUGnative View Post
Meant to say Fayette County.The last several seasons have been set in the Washington, DC suburbs of northern Virginia but is filmed Fayette County, GA.. the same area around Senoia as all the previous seasons. They even recycle the sets and locations. As someone who lived in Northern Virginia it us hilarious how they try to pass off Senoia as Alexandria, VA.

It's as bad as passing off Covington as Sparta, MS for the series "In the Heat of the Night". Gillespie's home was up for sale in 2016
https://hookedonhouses.net/2016/09/0...le-in-georgia/

Downtown Macon was used last month as a set for a series about Brooklyn, NY

Old 06-04-2019, 02:17 PM

783 posts, read 390,097 times
I don't care where anyone stands on this issue. Roe v Wade was not a law passed by the Congress, so each state can set its own rules and legislation - it's called the tenth amendment (Bill of Rights). If at such time as the US Congress makes it a law.......

The way I see it - GA, AL, MS, MO all are now santuary states for babies! Killing a baby should have the same penalty as killing any child or adult. What's the difference if you use a gun, a knife, a scalpel or RU486? Murder is still murder and the courts understand this.

While American women seem keen to kill their unborn, arriving migrants are willing to get pregnant and re-populate this country. I guess they never used protection from aids, hiv or pregnancy. You may not like it, but it's true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia