U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2019, 02:25 PM

2,821 posts, read 1,845,823 times

Advertisements

LMAO I knew someone would mention Hank Johnson. Not saying the D's never make gaffes, but nothing they've done has ever come to Jason Spencer's level. I mean bro come on he pulled his pants down and that's not even the worst part of that video. And really if Hank Johnson's all you got then GA Dems are looking pretty good!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2019, 04:29 PM

8,526 posts, read 4,482,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
LMAO I knew someone would mention Hank Johnson. Not saying the D's never make gaffes, but nothing they've done has ever come to Jason Spencer's level. I mean bro come on he pulled his pants down and that's not even the worst part of that video. And really if Hank Johnson's all you got then GA Dems are looking pretty good!
Hank is just the easiest target, and he’s a Congressman.

Spencer is clearly an idiot. Regardless of political stance.

Old 06-09-2019, 12:05 AM

31,759 posts, read 29,494,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDreaming01 View Post
It's one thing if a state like MS or AL does something like this. They already had a negative reputation. GA up to now has been known as one of the best states in the country to do business, a reputation Gov. Deal jealously guarded. This undermines that reputation in a big way.
All Southern states in particular have had to deal with this at one point or another to some extent or another because legislation related to the "culture wars" and a more laissez-faire approach to economics combined with laws borne out of trickle-down economics that are favorable to corporations are both big planks in conservative/Republican ideology. And you also have to remember that we're still fairly new to this current era of the legislative battles related to the culture wars that have impacts on business; we're only like 10 years or so in so it was only a matter of time before states governed by Republicans would have their "crisis" moment(s).

Old 06-09-2019, 09:46 AM

820 posts, read 459,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
All Southern states in particular have had to deal with this at one point or another to some extent or another because legislation related to the "culture wars" and a more laissez-faire approach to economics combined with laws borne out of trickle-down economics that are favorable to corporations are both big planks in conservative/Republican ideology. And you also have to remember that we're still fairly new to this current era of the legislative battles related to the culture wars that have impacts on business; we're only like 10 years or so in so it was only a matter of time before states governed by Republicans would have their "crisis" moment(s).
I had thought we had kind of gotten past that. We had the blowups over the flag, Confederate Memorial day and the Religious liberty bill. I naively thought that somehow the Republican leadership would find a way to make sure the interests of big business win out. Now it seems that not only is Kemp not looking out for the film industry, but he has put a bullseye on their back. I wouldn't have been surprised in the other states but I thought GA was different. I thought there were enough moderates to keep the extremists contained, but clearly things have gone off the rails with Kemp's election. Cagle was supposed to be the guy.

Old 06-09-2019, 02:48 PM
bu2

10,768 posts, read 7,102,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
I disagree as well, but Repubs in our state House and Senate do little to dissuade this image.
https://www.ajc.com/blog/politics/th...E3tlqhVz1DmzK/

"...But on that same day, Kemp put his signature to another measure that, weeks later, is being hailed as a major legal victory for gay and lesbian couples with children....

Without a formal adoption, there is no “presumption of parentage” in state law for both members in a same-sex marriage, Lee reported. “Meaning when one spouse is the biological parent, the other could remain a legal stranger to the child and be denied custody and visitation if the couple splits.”Or if the biological parent dies or become incapacitated....

Four weeks after Kemp signed the measure, state Rep. Mary Margaret Oliver, D-Decatur, who teaches family law at Emory University School of Law, was the only bill sponsor we reached who would admit that HB 543 had an unspoken purpose....

Another backer of the bill was state Rep. Bert Reeves, R-Marietta, author of last year’s overhaul of Georgia’s adoption laws – another project complicated by conservative concerns over same-sex marriage. Efforts to reach Reeves were unsuccessful.The lead sponsor of HB 543 was state Rep. Chuck Efstration, R-Dacula, a former prosecutor....."

Old 06-09-2019, 02:53 PM
bu2

10,768 posts, read 7,102,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
Lots of flaky people in politics. Like John Conyers (D) who for, apparently for years, walked around his office in his underwear. He was powerful so nobody said anything.

https://www.cnn.com/2017/11/28/polit...ide/index.html

Old 06-10-2019, 12:03 AM

31,759 posts, read 29,494,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDreaming01 View Post
I had thought we had kind of gotten past that. We had the blowups over the flag, Confederate Memorial day and the Religious liberty bill.
Not at all. Legislation concerning divisive social issues on the state level really and truly became a thing during the first Obama administration when several Southern state legislatures came under Republican control for the first time since Reconstruction. Before that, states seemingly went it alone on this type of stuff but now if one state does it, you can be sure that others will follow. And now that there's a conservative president in place who is stacking the courts with conservative judges who will be on the bench for years, we will most likely see this trend continue.

Quote:
I naively thought that somehow the Republican leadership would find a way to make sure the interests of big business win out. Now it seems that not only is Kemp not looking out for the film industry, but he has put a bullseye on their back. I wouldn't have been surprised in the other states but I thought GA was different. I thought there were enough moderates to keep the extremists contained, but clearly things have gone off the rails with Kemp's election. Cagle was supposed to be the guy.
Well the other states that passed "heartbeat" bills don't have a large and fast-growing TV/film industry which is known to be dominated by liberals and liberal thought, which is why the response to Georgia's bill is different.

But you shouldn't have been surprised to see this happen in GA when we saw what happened in NC a couple of years back with HB2. And the governor who signed that bill into law was the former longtime mayor of Charlotte who received a good bit of crossover votes from Dems in the Charlotte area based on his local somewhat progressive record, not some obscure state politician from the hinterlands. Kemp rode into office on the tailwinds of the same attitudes and viewpoints that delivered Trump the presidency. And while I don't think Kemp wants to govern from the far-right, he's gonna have to throw his far-right supporters some bones here and there to keep their support. But as it has been stated elsewhere in this thread, I don't think he anticipated this level of backlash from the state's newest major industry OR he's counting on the collaborative strategy at work here to prevail: get the issue back in front of SCOTUS and let them have the final say on the matter which gets the responsibility for whatever becomes of it out of Georgia's hands.

Old 06-10-2019, 06:17 AM

4,703 posts, read 1,712,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Lots of flaky people in politics. Like John Conyers (D) who for, apparently for years, walked around his office in his underwear. He was powerful so nobody said anything.

https://www.cnn.com/2017/11/28/polit...ide/index.html
John Conyers wasn't a Georgia politician.

Old 06-10-2019, 10:12 AM

1,024 posts, read 535,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
https://www.ajc.com/blog/politics/th...E3tlqhVz1DmzK/

"...But on that same day, Kemp put his signature to another measure that, weeks later, is being hailed as a major legal victory for gay and lesbian couples with children....

Without a formal adoption, there is no “presumption of parentage” in state law for both members in a same-sex marriage, Lee reported. “Meaning when one spouse is the biological parent, the other could remain a legal stranger to the child and be denied custody and visitation if the couple splits.”Or if the biological parent dies or become incapacitated....

Four weeks after Kemp signed the measure, state Rep. Mary Margaret Oliver, D-Decatur, who teaches family law at Emory University School of Law, was the only bill sponsor we reached who would admit that HB 543 had an unspoken purpose....

Another backer of the bill was state Rep. Bert Reeves, R-Marietta, author of last year’s overhaul of Georgia’s adoption laws – another project complicated by conservative concerns over same-sex marriage. Efforts to reach Reeves were unsuccessful.The lead sponsor of HB 543 was state Rep. Chuck Efstration, R-Dacula, a former prosecutor....."
It also had to done without specific mention of helping same-sex couples. If they did, there was a chance the bill would fail. It is shame that Georgia has to pass legislation this way to ensure that all its citizens are treated equally under the law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or