U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2019, 05:01 PM

795 posts, read 280,947 times

Advertisements

Dear Hollywood:

I respect your newfound interest in Georgia politics, really I do. But there’s something I need to get off my chest. In recent weeks, you’ve had a lot to say about House Bill 481, the so-called “heartbeat” bill signed by Governor Brian Kemp that would ban the majority of abortions in the state beginning January 1, 2020. (The law almost certainly will be put on hold, due to legal challenges). Some of you are even signaling that you would no longer film productions here if the bill goes into effect, with one studio head, Disney’s Bob Iger, going so far as to say, “I think many people who work for us will not want to work there, and we will have to heed their wishes in that regard...”

FULL STORY: https://www.atlantamagazine.com/news...not-help-them/

SOURCE: Atlanta Magazine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2019, 05:20 PM

948 posts, read 424,516 times
That's so well said. Hopefully this makes the rounds on more than a few studio and industry listservs.

Old 06-03-2019, 07:31 PM

1,186 posts, read 1,647,959 times
Battle lines were drawn long before passage. Nobody involved on either side cares about Georgia women...not really.

Old 06-04-2019, 10:59 AM

820 posts, read 459,205 times
Sorry I don't agree with the sentiment expressed in this opinion piece and in other places. I have a hard time believing that the people who are pushing this line actually care about women. I believe they are just trying to protect their own interests. The harm that comes from a woman losing a job pales in comparison to the harm that comes from being forced to continue an unwanted pregnancy.

Economic boycotts are painful, but they can bring about change. The Montgomery Bus Boycott, South Africa boycotts, and boycotts against NC's bathroom bill to name a few. Here's when boycotts have worked — and when they haven't Also, who can forget the NCAA ban on hosting post season games in states flying the Confederate battle flag that led to our current GA flag.

Old 06-04-2019, 11:49 AM

239 posts, read 74,850 times
A lot of jobs in the state could be lost because of this charade of a piece of legislation.

Sad.

Old 06-04-2019, 11:57 AM

15,325 posts, read 8,491,629 times
Hey money talks. People vote with their feet in addition to ballot boxes. If unpopular legislation hurts enough people they either vote out the incumbents or they vote with their feet. I say kudos to big business for pulling out of Georgia. This unpopular legislation is religious over reach and designed for a minority of voters. They will reap what they sew.

Old 06-04-2019, 01:07 PM

4,703 posts, read 1,712,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDreaming01 View Post
Sorry I don't agree with the sentiment expressed in this opinion piece and in other places. I have a hard time believing that the people who are pushing this line actually care about women. I believe they are just trying to protect their own interests. The harm that comes from a woman losing a job pales in comparison to the harm that comes from being forced to continue an unwanted pregnancy.

Economic boycotts are painful, but they can bring about change. The Montgomery Bus Boycott, South Africa boycotts, and boycotts against NC's bathroom bill to name a few. Here's when boycotts have worked — and when they haven't Also, who can forget the NCAA ban on hosting post season games in states flying the Confederate battle flag that led to our current GA flag.
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
Hey money talks. People vote with their feet in addition to ballot boxes. If unpopular legislation hurts enough people they either vote out the incumbents or they vote with their feet. I say kudos to big business for pulling out of Georgia. This unpopular legislation is religious over reach and designed for a minority of voters. They will reap what they sew.
Agreed 100% with both if these posts.

The only way people will learn their lesson is when you hit them in the pocketbook.

Old 06-04-2019, 01:08 PM

1,326 posts, read 1,943,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Agreed 100% with both if these posts.

The only way people will learn their lesson is when you hit them in the pocketbook.
Yep agreed, burn it all down until they learn to do better.

Old 06-04-2019, 02:43 PM

446 posts, read 232,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgeorgiaman View Post
Battle lines were drawn long before passage. Nobody involved on either side cares about Georgia women...not really.
I think this is the case too. I think it's just about seeing which side can shout the loudest.

Old 06-26-2019, 08:17 AM

2,256 posts, read 567,090 times
Sorry if I post it in the wrong thread but there's one actor who don't give a "road apple" to the Hollywood boycott: Clint Eastwood who'll do a movie about Richard Jewell.
https://www.cnsnews.com/blog/michael...d-boycott-over

Quote:
Despite the boycott of filming in Georgia launched by Hollywood liberals angry over the state's new pro-life "Heartbeat" law, legendary actor/director Clint Eastwood will be making his latest movie, "The Battle of Richard Jewell," in Atlanta this summer, reported NBC Charlotte and other media.

"Clint Eastwood will perform new film in Georgia despite abortion bill boycott," tweeted NBC Charlotte on June 25. The movie is about Richard Jewell, a police officer and security guard who discovered a bomb at the 1996 Summer Olympics in Atlanta, Ga., and saved countless lives. Jewell was initially hailed as a hero and then was viewed as a suspect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or