U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-24-2019, 01:00 PM
 
Location: Georgia native in McKinney, TX
8,059 posts, read 10,532,477 times
Reputation: 6175

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmeteorology123 View Post
I agree that I-85 should be expanded to three lanes each way from the GA/AL state line to the Grantville exit (exit 35). There's plenty of travel on that stretch to warrant adding another lane.
This is my favorite stretch because the Hogansville exit is where my sweet mama is.

My favorite spot is I-20 eastbound in Douglas County and topping the ridge just west of Six Flags on a clear evening or at dusk and seeing the skyline of Atlanta gleaming like the "city on a hill." Makes me weep coming in from my Texas exile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-24-2019, 04:12 PM
 
Location: Metro Atlanta & Savannah, GA - Corpus Christi, TX
4,511 posts, read 7,553,469 times
Reputation: 2285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
This is my favorite stretch because the Hogansville exit is where my sweet mama is.

My favorite spot is I-20 eastbound in Douglas County and topping the ridge just west of Six Flags on a clear evening or at dusk and seeing the skyline of Atlanta gleaming like the "city on a hill." Makes me weep coming in from my Texas exile.
I absolutely LOVE this too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2019, 04:52 AM
 
3,797 posts, read 1,502,059 times
Reputation: 2895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
This is my favorite stretch because the Hogansville exit is where my sweet mama is.

My favorite spot is I-20 eastbound in Douglas County and topping the ridge just west of Six Flags on a clear evening or at dusk and seeing the skyline of Atlanta gleaming like the "city on a hill." Makes me weep coming in from my Texas exile.
Part of what makes that view so neat is especially when you're coming from out of state you dont realize you're so close to Atlanta proper and suddenly it just pops up on you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2019, 06:22 AM
 
Location: St Simons Island, GA
23,125 posts, read 36,362,431 times
Reputation: 15465
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Part of what makes that view so neat is especially when you're coming from out of state you dont realize you're so close to Atlanta proper and suddenly it just pops up on you.
Other approaches to Downtown/Midtown on the interstate that I love:

Coming up the Connector from the airport, the Downtown skyline suddenly appears, framed by the treeline on either side.

Rounding the bend on I-75S just past the Northside Drive exit, the towers of Midtown suddenly and startlingly loom before you. I always think about drivers that are seeing this for the first time and how surprising it must be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2019, 07:49 AM
 
1,977 posts, read 1,671,047 times
Reputation: 1100
95 is beautiful. (A little less after GDOT cut everywhere including on offramps where it was def. not necessary and now looks trashy.) All the marsh is still wonderful to look at when I go from Sav to Jax to visit family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2019, 09:10 AM
 
123 posts, read 47,268 times
Reputation: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
Other approaches to Downtown/Midtown on the interstate that I love:

Coming up the Connector from the airport, the Downtown skyline suddenly appears, framed by the treeline on either side.

Rounding the bend on I-75S just past the Northside Drive exit, the towers of Midtown suddenly and startlingly loom before you. I always think about drivers that are seeing this for the first time and how surprising it must be.
I am also a fan of both of these views as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2019, 06:20 PM
 
Location: Macon, GA
1,910 posts, read 4,167,283 times
Reputation: 1795
1. I-75 South of Macon/Warner Robins, around Perry, to the Florida line. The congestion of traveling through Metro ATL and to a smaller extent, Macon/Warner Robins start to ease and you can just cruise as you approach Florida and it's touristy beaches and attractions, palm trees start to appear, the land becomes pretty flat. It's just a different laid back vibe.


2. Traveling on any interstate ITP or near it in Metro ATL at night. I like the big city night lights, and usually I'm on my way to have fun with family or friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2019, 10:46 AM
 
820 posts, read 459,205 times
Reputation: 1274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
This is my favorite stretch because the Hogansville exit is where my sweet mama is.

My favorite spot is I-20 eastbound in Douglas County and topping the ridge just west of Six Flags on a clear evening or at dusk and seeing the skyline of Atlanta gleaming like the "city on a hill." Makes me weep coming in from my Texas exile.
I agree it really is an impressive view of the skyline. From this view, you're looking at the buildings from North to South and is seems to be this limitless expanse of buildings. When I come in from the southside, there is a nice view of the skyline but it is more compact viewing it from west to east.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2019, 05:49 PM
 
Location: Murica
838 posts, read 717,546 times
Reputation: 591
19 from Thomasville in to FL. 85 around Gainesville use to be awesome.

It depends on who you ask most answers are going to be yuppies and the new people.. Old school people like me go for scenic routes..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2019, 06:10 PM
 
123 posts, read 47,268 times
Reputation: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Soul Bro View Post
1. I-75 South of Macon/Warner Robins, around Perry, to the Florida line. The congestion of traveling through Metro ATL and to a smaller extent, Macon/Warner Robins start to ease and you can just cruise as you approach Florida and it's touristy beaches and attractions, palm trees start to appear, the land becomes pretty flat. It's just a different laid back vibe.


2. Traveling on any interstate ITP or near it in Metro ATL at night. I like the big city night lights, and usually I'm on my way to have fun with family or friends.
I like both, but #2 I can feel and imagine more. ITP at night is very beautiful, especially going through Downtown Atlanta on the Connector and being surrounded by buildings lit up in different colors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top