U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2019, 10:16 AM

1,319 posts, read 1,075,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
I haven't travelled it in years but is 85 north of the metro area to SC still just four lanes? If any stretch needs to go to 6 (or even 8) it would be that section.
That's in the works, right now. IIRC, widening construction is well under way up to the Jackson County line, possibly even up to the GA 53 [Braselton/Hoschton] exit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2019, 10:17 AM

123 posts, read 47,304 times
Quote:
Speaking of I-20 (and to break the rules of the OP and maybe get barbs cause it ain't in Georgia) but the stretch of I-20 between Anniston, AL and Birmingham is beautiful. Views of Cheaha Mountain (the tallest spot in AL) to the south of Anniston, the beautiful crossing of the Coosa River (Lake Logan Martin) and then more ridges and valleys between there and B'ham, a very beautiful scenic drive. Went to college in B'ham (Samford) and did this route numerous times.

So while it is in AL, this stretch is closer to Atlanta then other stretches in GA.
Oh no you're good . That stretch is so beautiful, particularly between Leeds and Pell City, and Anniston and the GA/AL state line. That's the reason why I often drive it back and forth from home to MS State.

Old 07-09-2019, 01:48 PM

3,811 posts, read 1,509,120 times
Quote:
That and 85 to the Alabama state line both need to be 6 lanes. I haven't travelled it in years but is 85 north of the metro area to SC still just four lanes? If any stretch needs to go to 6 (or even 8) it would be that section.
&
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJDeadParrot View Post
That's in the works, right now. IIRC, widening construction is well under way up to the Jackson County line, possibly even up to the GA 53 [Braselton/Hoschton] exit.
Yes, currently they have ground broken all the way to the Brastleton GA-53 exit, one huge workzone between Hamilton Mill Pkwy and GA-53... and has been needed for decades. It will be nice when done. I believe SC is widening their stretch to the GA state line. The rest from Brastleton to SC is slated for another time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia