Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2019, 10:17 PM

123 posts, read 109,988 times

Advertisements

I-575 is a nice freeway for the most part, particularly the northern sections near Canton up to its end in southern Pickens County. I'm not a big fan of the southern part near Kennesaw, particularly because of the Northwest ExpressLanes project being there, as I feel like widening the freeway to three lanes each way would've been just fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2019, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post

85: is best in Mid West Georgia from the Alabama line until the perimeter. Should probably be expanded to 3 lanes in each direction all the way to Alabama. After the perimeter, 85 just sucks, though the downtown connector views of ATL are incredible. Something nice to look at while crawling along. Expanded lanes in Gwinnett just don’t matter, traffic almost always sucks and tends to bottleneck going north between Shallowford and Jimmy Carter. Expansion is badly needed (and will slowly happen) after MOG to the SC border. Avoid if possible.
I agree that I-85 should be expanded to three lanes each way from the GA/AL state line to the Grantville exit (exit 35). There's plenty of travel on that stretch to warrant adding another lane.

Old 06-21-2019, 07:13 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,696,736 times
While I-185 isn't hilly, it has by-far the most impressive tree canopy I've seen on all of Georgia's interstate.

Old 06-21-2019, 07:58 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,968,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
While I-185 isn't hilly, it has by-far the most impressive tree canopy I've seen on all of Georgia's interstate.
It’s hilly, not like 75 in North Georgia, but far more than 16 and 95. Definitely not flat, especially around Pine Mountain.

Yes, I agree. Impressive tree canopy.

Old 06-21-2019, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
It’s hilly, not like 75 in North Georgia, but far more than 16 and 95. Definitely not flat, especially around Pine Mountain.

Yes, I agree. Impressive tree canopy.
Well if we're comparing it to interstates south of the fall line, I agree.

That said, to my point, I worked with someone in my last job who works remotely and lives in Cumming. He would visit a supplier he dealt with in Newnan and when I asked to get his opinion of the area, he described it as "flat."

Point being, it's all relative.

Old 06-21-2019, 08:41 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,968,017 times
Quote:
Well if we're comparing it to interstates south of the fall line, I agree.

That said, to my point, I worked with someone in my last job who works remotely and lives in Cumming. He would visit a supplier he dealt with in Newnan and when I asked to get his opinion of the area, he described it as "flat."

Point being, it's all relative.
Agree.

Growing up in Savannah, I noticed small hills around Dublin. I’m sure most people would consider that area flat, but compared to the immediate coast, not so much.

Old 06-22-2019, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmeteorology123 View Post
I agree that I-85 should be expanded to three lanes each way from the GA/AL state line to the Grantville exit (exit 35). There's plenty of travel on that stretch to warrant adding another lane.
I also agree.

And with the drastic increase in freight traffic expected from the explosive development of distribution centers around Newnan in the coming years, as well as more spinoff manufacturing development from Kia Motors, I-85 is only going to become even more congested.

Even today, it gets pretty dangerous around the Hogansville exit with all of the tractor trailers.

Old 06-22-2019, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Agreed.

Old 06-22-2019, 08:21 PM

11,778 posts, read 7,989,264 times
For scenery --

-- I-75 between Acworth and Chattanooga**
-- I-75 through Northern Cobb is also fairly nice
-- GA-400 probably has the most refined forestry between I-285 and the border of Fulton and Forsyth
-- I-85 has a brief but scenic view heading southbound between Old Peachtree Rd and SR 120 - if the day is perfectly clear, you can even faintly and briefly see the skyline of Atlanta if looking to your right @ the Infinite Energy Center.

All things rounded and averaged off, GA-Loop 10 in Athens has alittle bit of everything and is probably my favorite freeway in the state.

For infrastructure --
-- I-75 in Tifton GA - I love the high mast night lighting they use through that stretch and wish they could do the same in Atlanta.
-- I-75 all the way to Florida - fairly recently fully upgraded to 3 lanes each way and really comes off appearing as a major and important highway (and it is).
-- The same can also be said for I-95 but nothing unique to see on that road between Savannah and Jacksonville.
-- U.S. 17 Bridge across the Savannah River in Savannah GA - Beautiful at night to look at from the boardwalk.

-------------

The rest of the country?

I-90 is hands down the most scenic freeway I've used through the Snoqualmie pass in the Cascade Mountains in Washington State.
I-70 West of Denver falls shortly behind
I-80 just outside of Salt Lake City is breath taking in areas.
I-77 & I-79 through Virginia and West Virginia are also some fairly scenic roads
U.S. 101 just outside of Los Angeles and also through a few other areas between San Francisco and LA is also quite lovely.
CA-99 - I just like this road because of how it runs directly parallel with the railroad tracks for nearly 300 miles.
I-5 - Northern California and some parts of Oregon are also beautiful.
I-24 through the mountains is a given but is also quite beautiful.

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 06-22-2019 at 08:30 PM..

Old 06-24-2019, 09:27 AM

1,383 posts, read 1,560,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
For scenery --

-- I-85 has a brief but scenic view heading southbound between Old Peachtree Rd and SR 120 - if the day is perfectly clear, you can even faintly and briefly see the skyline of Atlanta if looking to your right @ the Infinite Energy Center.
I know the exact spot. You can see the midtown skyline from about 24 miles away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
The rest of the country?

I-77 & I-79 through Virginia and West Virginia are also some fairly scenic roads
77 moreso than 79, IMO. We go up that way whenever we drive up to Pittsburgh to visit my in-laws. I always make a point to stop at the New River Bridge. If you've never seen it, imagine a half-mile long steel arch bridge built over Tallulah Gorge. Its much more impressive if you see it from the visitors center.

I'll also add:

- I-40 from Asheville to Knoxville.
- I-93 from Plymouth, NH, up to its terminus with I-91.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia