U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2019, 03:20 AM

4 posts, read 2,583 times

Advertisements

Hi...

I am planning to shift to USA in few months.

I was preparing myself for living in Midtown Atlanta, but it seems that my wife might get a job in Athens, Georgia.

I would request to help me in understanding how the life is in Athens? Is the life style good enough compared to Midtown Atlanta? How about the basic facilities like grocery shops, medical facilities, pharmacies, transportation, Gas stations etc.? How much would it cost me to rent a 2 BHK apartment/house? How about the safety in Athens? I got to know that there is a small airport as well in Athens. Are there enough flights operating from this airport that can connect us to all the major airports in USA?

I will be grateful to you guys if you can help me with these information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2019, 09:44 AM

1,497 posts, read 979,839 times
Athens is a great town. It is very much a college town, but there is still much to enjoy even if you are not a student at the University. The dining scene has definitely matured in Athens with some aware winning nationally recognized restaurants. Celebrity chef Hugh Acheson has definitely left his mark.
There are lots of outdoor activities. The mountains are an easy drive. Atlanta is only an hour away.

Old 06-19-2019, 07:48 PM

1,837 posts, read 1,614,945 times
Athens and Midtown are not really easy to compare, in my book. I like them both. Athens will meet your needs for grocery, medical, pharmacies, gas stations, etc. What do you mean by transportation? I think most people drive their cars. There are buses, but I think that system is mostly used by students. Perhaps someone could chime in on that. I see plenty of Uber and Lyft cars around.

Yes, there is a small airport. We drive or shuttle to Atlanta to use the airport there. I do not believe commercial flights fly out of the Athens airport or at least I don't know anyone who uses them if they do. It is easy to catch a shuttle to the Atlanta airport. I believe Groome goes there and back 23 times a day.

Old 06-20-2019, 12:40 AM

Default Life in Athens, Georgia

Thank you AUGnative and Cdarocks for sharing the info. Really appreciate it.

It has given a good basic picture about living in Athens.

Just one more question, how about the safety situation in Athens? Do we have to worry about it? Just to understand, if we can go around the city at any hour of the day? Is it safe to do so?

Many thanks guys for your help.

Old 06-20-2019, 01:27 PM

Athens is a university town (37,000+ students). There is an historic downtown located directly adjacent to the university and the rest of Athens is sprawled out with no real city center. The only really pedestrian friendly area of Athens is the part next to the university. It is full of restaurants, bars (loads of them because of students), music venues, and shops. This is also where most festivals take place (AthFest, Twilight Criterium, wild rumpus halloween parade, parade of lights in December, 4th July fireworks, etc). For these, several streets will be blocked off from traffic and filled with food trucks, music bands, and outdoor markets.

During the school year, downtown streets will be teeming with bar hopping students, especially on Friday and Saturday. They all clear out in May and until they return in August, things are much quieter. Restaurants that usually need a reservation during the school year can usually be had at short notice. We have never felt unsafe there and take our toddler to this area frequently. The university campus itself is beautiful and has a performing arts center that brings in a wide variety of entertainment to enjoy in addition to university performances. If you like college sports, you can get tickets to pretty much anything. Football is king here.

Outside of the school, there is a lot of poverty in Athens and unfortunately this brings drugs and crime along with it. However, the areas where this is a problem can easily be avoided because Athens is so sprawled out. There are many great neighborhoods to live in.

You don't mention children, but in case you do have them this changes things a bit as far as I am concerned. Public education isn't great in Athens, but it is highly regarded in the next county over, Oconee county. It is only 10 minutes from Athens. I know many people who live there simply because of the schools. There are several private school options, in which case, it won't matter what county you live in. Oconee is an extremely safe place to live.

I hope others add their thoughts here, so you have a wide variety of opinions to consider.

Old 06-21-2019, 12:24 AM

Thanks a ton Cdarocks.

This is really a very helpful information to have a better understanding about the city and life out there.

Well, I am still not sure if we will have to shift to Athens or not because it all depends if my wife gets a Post Doctoral position in the university there. My office is situated in Lawrenceville and my wife is still trying to get a post in Georgia tech which might help us to decide n settle in Midtown Atlanta which is our first preference.

But your information will be a great help to us while taking the final decision on settling down in either of the cities.

We still don't have a baby, so I did not mention anything about it.

I will definitely consider your advise about the neighboring county Oconee.

Once again thanks for your advise.

Cheerzz

Old 06-21-2019, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muralidas09 View Post
Thanks a ton Cdarocks.

This is really a very helpful information to have a better understanding about the city and life out there.

Well, I am still not sure if we will have to shift to Athens or not because it all depends if my wife gets a Post Doctoral position in the university there. My office is situated in Lawrenceville and my wife is still trying to get a post in Georgia tech which might help us to decide n settle in Midtown Atlanta which is our first preference.

But your information will be a great help to us while taking the final decision on settling down in either of the cities.

We still don't have a baby, so I did not mention anything about it.

I will definitely consider your advise about the neighboring county Oconee.

Once again thanks for your advise.

Cheerzz

You are welcome! We have two kids at the University of Georgia and they love it. We've spent plenty of time at GA Tech too, my kids used to do competitive swimming there often. I can totally understand the appeal of midtown. Good luck!

Old 06-24-2019, 12:43 AM

Thanks a lot for sharing that.

Have a great day.

Old 07-12-2019, 07:00 PM

4 posts, read 1,087 times
You can live in Suwannee GA and commute to Athens. They got great schools. Public transportation isn’t available to Athens from Atlanta. If you planning to move to Athens, you can move to Watkinsville. It’s a great town. I used to live there and use to work in Atlanta. Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or