U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2019, 06:45 AM

3,771 posts, read 3,439,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Florida tops them all. I saw a man with a veteran's hat - a WWII vet - driving in the left hand lane going 35 miles an hour with the right turn signal on, and no turnoff for at least 10 miles.

And then there are the "Jesus is my copilot" drivers. Not necessarily with the bumper sticker, but they just pull out into traffic without looking, assuming that someone up in heaven is looking after their safety.
There's two problems with Florida drivers... First no one driving in Florida is FROM Florida anymore. And Secondly, Florida driving problems are a daytime occurrence. After the early bird special 75% of the traffic go home because, like me, they hate to drive at night anymore. After 6pm driving in Florida is usually a breeze.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2019, 03:19 PM

8,754 posts, read 4,564,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
There's two problems with Florida drivers... First no one driving in Florida is FROM Florida anymore. And Secondly, Florida driving problems are a daytime occurrence. After the early bird special 75% of the traffic go home because, like me, they hate to drive at night anymore. After 6pm driving in Florida is usually a breeze.
That’s when the frustrated hot rod kids are out. But generally you are correct, after around 8pm most seniors are home and tucked into bed.

But it’s still scary when you see an elderly woman at a restaurant - with HER mother.

Old 07-26-2019, 08:34 AM

3,454 posts, read 3,455,779 times
Default Georgia drivers....

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Florida tops them all. I saw a man with a veteran's hat - a WWII vet - driving in the left hand lane going 35 miles an hour with the right turn signal on, and no turnoff for at least 10 miles.

And then there are the "Jesus is my copilot" drivers. Not necessarily with the bumper sticker, but they just pull out into traffic without looking, assuming that someone up in heaven is looking after their safety.
We have untold multitudes of the equivalent to those Florida "Jesus is my Co-pilot" type drivers here in Georgia, as we all see every day on the roads. Here in Georgia they are specifically demarcated for us via their "In God We Trust" car plates.
Anecdotally speaking, they are neither any safer than the general driving populace in terms of their driving behavior nor any more courteous than the general driving populace. Both of those observations made by me are head scratchers in view of the platform of public preaching of their beliefs that the "In God We Trust" tag gives them.

And sadly, it is a visible example of the overall poor driving skill set & courtesy that Georgia drivers bring to to the road.

Old 07-29-2019, 10:23 AM

3,904 posts, read 1,548,233 times
Alot of drivers in the Atlanta metro are from the Northeastern states, or Chicago, and they brought their driving habits with them. They are extremely impatient, intolerant and down-right rude when you are just obeying the law. I have become so numb to it that I have stopped honking my horn when someone pulls out infront of me with a rulers space of distance between us, or when I get cut-off by someone weaving in and out of traffic passing on the right at 90+ MPH, or when you don't make a right turn on red due to safety concerns - they just sit there on their horn.

... But ... Georgia is not the only offender in this category.

Dallas and Houston are far far far worse....and with much bigger vehicles too.

Old 07-29-2019, 04:15 PM

8,754 posts, read 4,564,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
We have untold multitudes of the equivalent to those Florida "Jesus is my Co-pilot" type drivers here in Georgia, as we all see every day on the roads. Here in Georgia they are specifically demarcated for us via their "In God We Trust" car plates.
Anecdotally speaking, they are neither any safer than the general driving populace in terms of their driving behavior nor any more courteous than the general driving populace. Both of those observations made by me are head scratchers in view of the platform of public preaching of their beliefs that the "In God We Trust" tag gives them.

And sadly, it is a visible example of the overall poor driving skill set & courtesy that Georgia drivers bring to to the road.
Note that not everyone with that plate is “preaching”. In fact, there’s one of those plates in my driveway. One benefit is that they don’t list the county.

Old 08-02-2019, 01:04 AM

459 posts, read 334,386 times
Most places, especially larger cities, I expect to be tailgated no matter what lane I'm in. I don't notice someone tailgating much, as I'm concentrated on what's going on in front of me and not concerned what's going on behind me. I don't care if someone cuts me off, but a signal is appreciated, so I can let up on the accelerator and let them in! The thing that gets me going is on a 4 lane road, 2 lanes each direction and I have my cruise on coasting along and someone in the right lane speeds way up on purpose to not let me and others pass. Ok, I get back over to the right lane, no problem, maintaining my cruise control speed, but then they have to slow way down and do it to me and others again. They should have a special tag free of charge that says, "In Pricks We Trust."

Old 08-02-2019, 12:45 PM

5,615 posts, read 4,593,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipkl07 View Post
Most places, especially larger cities, I expect to be tailgated no matter what lane I'm in. I don't notice someone tailgating much, as I'm concentrated on what's going on in front of me and not concerned what's going on behind me. I don't care if someone cuts me off, but a signal is appreciated, so I can let up on the accelerator and let them in! The thing that gets me going is on a 4 lane road, 2 lanes each direction and I have my cruise on coasting along and someone in the right lane speeds way up on purpose to not let me and others pass. Ok, I get back over to the right lane, no problem, maintaining my cruise control speed, but then they have to slow way down and do it to me and others again. They should have a special tag free of charge that says, "In Pricks We Trust."
Haven't seen that as much around here. But good luck trying to merge into the next lane if there's no space between two cars.

One of the worst in metro Atlanta for that is the ramp coming off Spring Street just south of North Ave. going north onto 75/85. You have to merge left two lanes in just over a mile if you want to stay on 85 north. Before they reworked the lanes years ago it used to be three lanes that you had to merge over!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia