Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2019, 09:31 AM

2,580 posts, read 2,475,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
Stacey doesn't want to run for the legislative branch, that's why she hasn't announced a run for senate.
Considering her interesting legislative voting record on reducing the number of early voting days and changing the qualifications for the HOPE scholarship during her tenure as House Minority Leader and House Rep. I can see why. She knows that some of us in the progressive fold know about how she voted and tries to paint over that with her focus on voter suppression herself she actually engaged in herself with her legislative record. I definitely haven't forgotten and she gets the side-eye from me for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2019, 10:06 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,660,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jero23 View Post
Considering her interesting legislative voting record on reducing the number of early voting days and changing the qualifications for the HOPE scholarship during her tenure as House Minority Leader and House Rep. I can see why. She knows that some of us in the progressive fold know about how she voted and tries to paint over that with her focus on voter suppression herself she actually engaged in herself with her legislative record. I definitely haven't forgotten and she gets the side-eye from me for it.
As a fellow progressive, I sympathize with your concerns.

But under a Bernie Sanders presidency, I'd take my chances with getting Stacey Abrams and other like her to flip these Senate seats and Sanders giving centrist Democrats like her the LBJ treatment (which he has vowed to do) over Mitch McConnell as the leader who has vowed to be the "Grim Reaper" of his agenda.

Old 08-29-2019, 02:37 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,348,451 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post

But under a Bernie Sanders presidency, I'd take my chances with getting Stacey Abrams and other like her to flip these Senate seats and Sanders giving centrist Democrats like her the LBJ treatment (which he has vowed to do) over Mitch McConnell as the leader who has vowed to be the "Grim Reaper" of his agenda.

1) Didn't know about THIS...disappointing.

2) What do you mean by give her the LBJ treatment?

Old 08-29-2019, 02:52 PM

108 posts, read 41,865 times
Hope Duncan or Collins is picked and wins the seat again in the election next year.

Old 08-29-2019, 03:50 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,660,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post

I just PM'd you.

Old 08-29-2019, 06:17 PM

2,580 posts, read 2,475,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post

Yeah, the moment I heard of her candidacy for governor in 2018 I was like, "Huh? Didn't she vote to reduce the number of days of early voting and to change the HOPE scholarship to its current screwed up requirements?"

I knew of the New Georgia Project since its inception in 2015, but it was her way of painting over her legislative record in the Georgia House. She has yet to explain those decisions to anyone other than saying that the GOP "tricked her and that her aide didn't read the legislation she was voting for". She better HOPE nobody doesn't call her out on her voting record in the near future. That calling out without a better explanation on those votes will essentially end her future political aspirations.

Old 08-30-2019, 06:59 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,678,722 times
Isakson's decision could have far-reaching national implications in terms of the control of the U.s. Senate.
In view of the national political environment & the tRUMP fatigue that is afflicting the nation, & for example softening his support in the crucial agricultural sector, could this potentially be a "realignment election"? If you've never lived through one or don't understand what constitutes one, the 2020 election has the potential to be a real eye-opener.
If the 20202 election does go in that direction, "Katie bar the door!", for the gop everywhere including in the 2 Georgia Senate elections, one of which has just been opened up into entirely new territory via Isakson's announcement!

Last edited by atler8; 08-30-2019 at 06:59 AM.. Reason: corrected puncuation

Old 08-30-2019, 12:58 PM

2,099 posts, read 2,267,749 times
Quote:
Yeah, the moment I heard of her candidacy for governor in 2018 I was like, "Huh? Didn't she vote to reduce the number of days of early voting and to change the HOPE scholarship to its current screwed up requirements?"

I knew of the New Georgia Project since its inception in 2015, but it was her way of painting over her legislative record in the Georgia House. She has yet to explain those decisions to anyone other than saying that the GOP "tricked her and that her aide didn't read the legislation she was voting for". She better HOPE nobody doesn't call her out on her voting record in the near future. That calling out without a better explanation on those votes will essentially end her future political aspirations.
interesting. I'd rather have progressive ideas than identity politics; rather a Bernie than a less progressive candidate of a particular race/gender etc. Not that I'm not excited to see record numbers of women and minorities getting elected but the votes are the most important thing. electibility is always on my mind too. Maybe she was cutting deals with the other side to look bipartisan? Regardless, she lost, and I would hope she waits at least one cycle before running again, to avoid the 'loser' label. Kind of like why I think Beto should have waited or done something else. Also I am glad Isaakson has good health care, I am sure his family is as well. Must be nice. It would be heart warming to see him redeem himself with any votes relevant to healthcare. I have respect for McCain saving healthcare. Come on Isaakson do something for the good of regular Georgia and American people, you don't need the lobbyists anymore or pretend to believe voodoo economics

Old 08-31-2019, 02:03 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,139,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post

Abrams isn't a progressive?? These purity tests get tighter by the month.

Old 09-01-2019, 10:09 AM

4,209 posts, read 4,724,371 times
Quote:
Georgia will be sharing this with North Carolina in 2020. There is tremendous movement on the ground with the Democrats there that many have been watching as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
Abrams isn't a progressive?? These purity tests get tighter by the month.
Not really. Progressive politics have been clearly defined since I started following them in 2016. Politicians like Pelosi have been trying to use the term to describe centrists since progressives have been gaining popularity but it’s clear that much of the Democratic Party isn’t economically progressive. (Abrams hasn’t supported Medicare for all, weed legalization, or free state college for example).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
View detailed profiles of: