U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2019, 08:24 AM

21 posts, read 6,229 times

Advertisements

I recently moved to GA from CA and need to get GA registration for the 2 cars I brought over. I have CA title for one and the other is currently financed. I am in the process of getting my GA driver's license and was reading about registering my cars here:

https://dor.georgia.gov/new-georgia

In the requirements it says I need a Manufacturer’s statement of origin. What is that? I just checked my paperwork for both cars and I never received anything like this. For those of you who have done out of state car transfers, especially from California, was this really required?

I am trying to avoid multiple visits to the county tag office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2019, 10:32 AM

3,790 posts, read 1,502,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albertg1 View Post
I recently moved to GA from CA and need to get GA registration for the 2 cars I brought over. I have CA title for one and the other is currently financed. I am in the process of getting my GA driver's license and was reading about registering my cars here:

In the requirements it says I need a Manufacturer’s statement of origin. What is that? I just checked my paperwork for both cars and I never received anything like this. For those of you who have done out of state car transfers, especially from California, was this really required?

Hello,

I believe what you are referring to is this:

Quote:
Proof of Ownership -
  • Original, valid out-of-state title
  • Manufacturer’s statement of origin (required for a new vehicle that has never been issued a title)
    or
  • Registration from a non-title state or country (if your vehicle is a 1986 or newer and currently registered in a state or country that does not issue titles for this type and/or year model vehicle.)
This list is 'ONE of the following' and not a 'ALL of the following' requirements type of list.

You will only need your title. The manufacturer's statement of origin is only required if you literally just purchased the car right after it was constructed and a physical title has not yet been created for it yet.

Old 09-16-2019, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post

You will only need your title. The manufacturer's statement of origin is only required if you literally just purchased the car right after it was constructed and a physical title has not yet been created for it yet.
Thanks for the response. Ok, for one of my cars which I have the title for, then I guess the title is enough. But for the other car, which is financed, I don't have the title as the car is not yet paid off. Do I need to track down a manufacturer's statement of origin? Maybe I should contact the dealership I bought it from?

Old 09-16-2019, 02:16 PM

1,326 posts, read 1,943,566 times
Quote:

Be prepared to pay A LOT of money to transfer your car to the state of Georgia. I forgot the exact percentage but there's a one time fee you have to pay that will probably be in the thousands for a newer vehicle.

Old 09-16-2019, 02:46 PM

3,790 posts, read 1,502,059 times
Quote:
Thanks for the response. Ok, for one of my cars which I have the title for, then I guess the title is enough. But for the other car, which is financed, I don't have the title as the car is not yet paid off. Do I need to track down a manufacturer's statement of origin? Maybe I should contact the dealership I bought it from?
You shouldn't need to no. If it's a financed vehicle, the title is leined to the bank. I believe the state would obtain it from the state you previously registered it from but this part of the process I'm not 100% clear on. I dont think you specifically would need to do anything.

Old 09-16-2019, 02:48 PM

8,526 posts, read 4,482,244 times
Estimate the fees here:

https://eservices.drives.ga.gov/_/#2

I believe it's still 7% of the assessed value for 2019.

Old 09-16-2019, 02:50 PM

8,526 posts, read 4,482,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
You shouldn't need to no. If it's a financed vehicle, the title is leined to the bank. I believe the state would obtain it from the state you previously registered it from but this part of the process I'm not 100% clear on. I dont think you specifically would need to do anything.
A financed vehicle should be ok. An out of state leased vehicle was a nightmare to do. Multiple trips to the DMV were required before the paperwork was done correctly. If it's a lease, contact the leasing company and they should have a "packet" that they will send giving power of attorney to make the switch.

Old 09-16-2019, 02:53 PM

Ok, i'll just bring what I have to the tag office.

Yes I am aware of the transfer tax. And yes it is going to hurt. I understand I can pay half now and the other half in a year. I am considering selling/trading in one them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or