U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2019, 03:48 PM

1 posts, read 1,056 times

Advertisements

Hello, we’re a same sex couple with two boys and are thinking of relocating to Rome Georgia. Does anyone know how gay friendly this town is?

Last edited by Jmedina1279; 09-27-2019 at 04:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2019, 07:13 PM

1,191 posts, read 1,674,334 times
I don't live in Rome, but do live outside metro Atlanta as a married gay man and travel the state regularly. Rome is standard deep south America meaning there will be some who support you, many who are indifferent, and unfortunately some who will display their disapproval. Rome is home to Shorter University who 8 years ago made their employees sign a form vowing they weren't gay, wouldn't support gay people, premarital sex or even public drinking of alcohol. They also had a mass exodus of faculty (nearly all straight) who refused to participate. I guess what I am getting at is that its complicated. Most educated (ultra right Baptist schools notwithstanding) individuals are open and fine with lgbt. Many who have never left town or had their eyes opened to the world are not so tolerant. Most people could care less and a vast majority of your experiences would be fine, but if I said you would be welcome everyday in all places, that would be untruthful. What your expectations are will matter greatly.

Last edited by midgeorgiaman; 09-29-2019 at 07:22 PM..

Old 09-29-2019, 09:25 PM

4,054 posts, read 3,821,514 times
Judging from the reviews of Berry College in Rome,
I would say no.
Diversity is non existent.

Old 09-29-2019, 11:22 PM

4,515 posts, read 7,647,785 times
That’s too bad. Rome is a nice little town.

Old 10-01-2019, 10:46 AM

1,497 posts, read 1,014,815 times
Chick Fil A's Christian Indoctrination Camp is located there. It's called Winshape. Also Berry College is a very conservative Christian college and it is there. And yeah Shorter college is there and even more conservative. They made the news not long ago for firing faculty suspected of being gay. LGBT student groups are not allowed and I think even interracial dating was not allowed not very long ago like within last decade when that mindset has been out 50 years ago. So that might give you some idea of how gay friendly the area is

Last edited by AUGnative; 10-01-2019 at 10:56 AM..

Old 10-08-2019, 08:37 AM

7 posts, read 3,237 times
I'm in Rome, and I have many gay friends here...I'm in an interracial marriage and we have never not once experienced any form of hate or discrimination, my gay friends have never made mention of it..I am sure with most places you have your closed minded people but it's not rampant.. we actually even have a community called One Community United that actually does stuff in the community to promote all inclusiveness.. Feel free to check it out, send me a friend request, and if you make the move, let's get together for lunch with the kids..we love new friends!!

Old 10-17-2019, 08:10 AM

588 posts, read 1,030,108 times
I travel and explore lot of areas of rural Georgia and would expect that outside of Atlanta and perhaps, cities like Athens where you have large college-based populations, you would not find the acceptance that you would make you feel at home.
Not like you would in Metro Atlanta; Georgia is still 'the deep South'.

Old 10-18-2019, 08:49 AM

1,597 posts, read 1,809,377 times
We live in Fort Payne Alabama right across the mountain from Rome. While you still find some narrow minded folks, for the most part everyone is accepting of both interracial and gay marriage. For the most part, neither warrants a second look from anyone. Listen to deantrina speak from first hand knowledge, I think the rest are posting on "What they think". You folks would be welcome in our rural neighborhood unless you strow garbage all over your yard and have a trio of continuing barking dogs!

Old 10-18-2019, 09:17 AM

460 posts, read 289,519 times
Georgia is like two different worlds in one state. Within metro Atlanta no one will notice you. Outside of Metro Atlanta it is still the deep South.

Old 10-18-2019, 09:52 PM

1,185 posts, read 1,472,645 times
Come on. Rome had openly gay people 35+ years ago, and few cared then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or