U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2020, 06:46 PM

3,789 posts, read 1,502,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
That is a very good question to which the simple answer is money.

The proposed truck lanes are not planned to continue on north of McDonough because the land acquisition costs increase significantly in the area of increased existing development (much of which sits fairly close to the I-75 right-of-way) north of the Bethlehem Road overpass over I-75 on the north side of the Locust Grove mailing area.

And the further north that one moves along I-75 towards the GA-155 interchange and closer to Atlanta, the higher the land acquisition costs get.

And with the recently-built express toll lanes in the median of I-75 being the expanded capacity on the I-75 roadway between the GA-155 and I-675 interchanges (expanded capacity which the State of Georgia has already spent a large chunk of its limited transportation budget on), the state most likely does not want to spend anymore money to expand capacity on the I-75 roadway north of the GA-155 interchange where it has already spent money to construct the toll lanes.
Better thing to do is somehow diverge the lanes west onto an tolled outer-bypass when they arrive at McDonough make a large crescent shaped outer loop back to I-75 somewhere around Cartersville giving I-75 a half loop around Atlanta... heck even extend said by-pass east to I-20 somewhere east of Covington. The northern section would still be missing but it would still greatly help thru traffic. Upgrading GA-20 into a super arterial would help the rest of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2020, 11:07 PM

6,635 posts, read 6,034,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Better thing to do is somehow diverge the lanes west onto an tolled outer-bypass when they arrive at McDonough make a large crescent shaped outer loop back to I-75 somewhere around Cartersville giving I-75 a half loop around Atlanta... heck even extend said by-pass east to I-20 somewhere east of Covington. The northern section would still be missing but it would still greatly help thru traffic.
Diverting the I-75 truck lanes onto a tolled outer bypass around Atlanta is a good idea... A good idea which the State of Georgia (GDOT) has attempted to execute in the past.

GDOT has even attempted to execute the tolled outer bypass idea through the Cartersville area, where the state attempted to build the first piece of the erstwhile proposed Outer Perimeter as the "411-75 Connector."

But the state was prevented from building the 411-75 Connector portion of the Outer Perimeter by local residents and landowners who opposed the state's plan to construct the road through the historic Dobbins Mountain area of Bartow County north of Cartersville.

Some of the strong and broad local opposition to the state's plan to construct the 411-75 Connector through the historic Dobbins Mountain area included the extremely powerful Rollins family of pest control and pesticide manufacturing fame.

The Rollins family owned land in the historic Dobbins Mountain area and held up construction of the 411-75 Connector portion of the Outer Perimeter for more 30 years with a lawsuit against the State of Georgia before former governor Nathan Deal cancelled the 411-75 Connector in late 2013... This was after the state had spent more money defending against the lawsuit in court than they would have spent to build the project 30 years earlier.

The Outer Perimeter is a great idea and would likely be a great way to take through traffic (including through freight truck traffic) off of a major north-south transcontinental route like I-75 through the Atlanta area.

But at this point in time, the reality is that nary a Georgia politician will dare spend the political capital needed to push the Outer Perimeter project through to fruition for fear of what the voting public's reaction will be to the resurrection of the unpopular project.

… That is especially after seeing what happened to former governor Roy Barnes after he put so much personal political capital behind the ill-fated Outer Perimeter/Northern Arc project.

… And that's also after more recently seeing what happened in 2012 when the metro Atlanta voting public mistakenly suspected the T-SPLOST referendum of being a back door way to resurrect the unpopular erstwhile Outer Perimeter.

It's extremely difficult to get a road like the Outer Perimeter built (no matter how much it might actually be needed and no matter how useful it might actually be) when Georgia politicians are understandably fearful that backing the road (a road which has proven to be very politically unpopular in the past) might bring about the end of their political careers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Upgrading GA-20 into a super arterial would help the rest of it.
Like we've discussed before, the proposals to upgrade/expand GA-20 through metro Atlanta's northern outer-suburbs and exurbs have their own unique challenges.

The state continues to have significant problems attempting to expand GA-20 through Forsyth and Cherokee counties between Cumming and Canton because of intense local opposition and resistance.

While the stretch of GA-20 west of Canton, between Interstates 575 and 75, runs through an area that appears to have some environmental and political sensitivities because it is located near and around Lake Allatoona and appears to have been (and might still be) a government-protected wilderness area where development might be limited.

(… Keep in mind that Lake Allatoona is an area where environmentalists delayed the completion of I-75 for several years back in the 1970's before forcing GDOT to change the path of the roadway to go around Red Top Mountain State Park and the protected wilderness area around Lake Allatoona instead of allowing GDOT to build I-75 directly through those areas as GDOT originally planned.)

Last edited by Born 2 Roll; 02-09-2020 at 11:20 PM..

Old 02-12-2020, 04:27 PM

848 posts, read 325,615 times
Default Georgia DOT speeds up work on truck-only lanes

Whew! That's getting the ball rolling.
https://cdllife.com/2020/georgia-dot...ck-only-lanes/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or