U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2019, 08:31 AM

848 posts, read 325,615 times

Advertisements

This is going to be an impressive project.
http://www.dot.ga.gov/BS/Projects/Sp...cts/I75CVLanes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2019, 07:24 PM

4,457 posts, read 6,277,764 times
It should have stayed toll lanes imho....

Old 09-30-2019, 11:00 PM

This is the first ever project like this in the United States of America. Did you read the article about McDonough, Georgia? It says that the city of McDonough, Georgia has some of the largest and most concentrations of warehouse in the state of Georgia. Many trucks run thru there. The project is one of the GDOT's 11 Major Mobility Investment Program (MMIP).

Old 10-01-2019, 07:32 AM

2,580 posts, read 1,765,370 times
The project is a pet project without a justifiable need & purpose that might wind up as a continuation of the existing Express Lanes in the long run. The Cobb express lanes initated as such back in the mid-00s but wind up as you see now.

Old 02-05-2020, 06:00 PM

Default G-DOT adding truck only lane from Macon to McDonough

I done talked with a fellow Floridian and he stated that the state of Florida already has Commercial truck lane on most of there National Highway's throughout the state of Florida. I guess people like to be big headed and arrogant. The article says that this will be the first of its kind in the United States of America. Don't get me wrong. The state of Florida is awesome and is one of the five largest state in the U.S.A.
http://worldpopulationreview.com/states/
https://41nbc.com/2020/02/05/g-dot-a...con-mcdonough/

Old 02-05-2020, 07:25 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,097,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jero23 View Post
The project is a pet project without a justifiable need & purpose that might wind up as a continuation of the existing Express Lanes in the long run. The Cobb express lanes initated as such back in the mid-00s but wind up as you see now.
Locust Grove. That’s all I have to say.

Old 02-05-2020, 07:31 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,097,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the tiger View Post
This is the first ever project like this in the United States of America. Did you read the article about McDonough, Georgia? It says that the city of McDonough, Georgia has some of the largest and most concentrations of warehouse in the state of Georgia. Many trucks run thru there. The project is one of the GDOT's 11 Major Mobility Investment Program (MMIP).
Locust Grove can be a nightmare to get through and this is often, regardless of the time of day. B2R told me that this is solely to blame on those warehouses you’re speaking of. You might not see them, but that traffic is there. 11am on a Tuesday or 9pm on Saturday. I’ve seen it all down there.

Old 02-06-2020, 02:21 AM

6,635 posts, read 6,034,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the tiger View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by isawooty View Post
Locust Grove can be a nightmare to get through and this is often, regardless of the time of day. B2R told me that this is solely to blame on those warehouses you’re speaking of. You might not see them, but that traffic is there. 11am on a Tuesday or 9pm on Saturday. I’ve seen it all down there.
Yep. That large and growing cluster of light industrial development (including warehouses and distribution centers along with light manufacturing) that has gone up and continues to go up at and around the interchange at I-75 and GA-155 is responsible for much of the heavy freight truck traffic that plagues I-75 south of Atlanta.

The large clusters of light industrial development along Interstates 75 and 675 in Clayton County, along with the increasing truck movements being generated by the continued growth at the major international seaport at Savannah and the continued growth of the economy in the major population centers to the south in Florida also have all contributed to the heavy freight truck traffic along I-75 south of Atlanta.

Meanwhile, the continued popularity of the state of Florida as a vacation and getaway spot (along with vacation and getaway spots along the Georgia and South Carolina parts of the Atlantic Coast) have contributed (and continue to contribute) heavily to the rising amounts of automobile traffic on I-75 south of Atlanta.

That is especially along a stretch of roadway on I-75 southbound that is basically a major bottleneck that is formed from where the 2 southbound lanes of I-675 and the 4 southbound lanes of I-75 merge together into an I-75 roadway that is basically only 3 lanes southbound south of the I-75/I-675 merge... With the new reversible express toll lanes intending to provide 1-2 extra lanes for the direction of the I-75 roadway on which traffic is the heaviest during peak hours between the I-675 merge/split interchange and the GA-155 interchange.

Old 02-09-2020, 10:42 AM

5,604 posts, read 4,575,515 times
These truck lanes aren't a bad idea for the reasons B2R mentioned. Wondering why they stop at McDonough and don't continue up to I-675, however.

Old 02-09-2020, 05:57 PM

6,635 posts, read 6,034,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
These truck lanes aren't a bad idea for the reasons B2R mentioned. Wondering why they stop at McDonough and don't continue up to I-675, however.
That is a very good question to which the simple answer is money.

The proposed truck lanes are not planned to continue on north of McDonough because the land acquisition costs increase significantly in the area of increased existing development (much of which sits fairly close to the I-75 right-of-way) north of the Bethlehem Road overpass over I-75 on the north side of the Locust Grove mailing area.

And the further north that one moves along I-75 towards the GA-155 interchange and closer to Atlanta, the higher the land acquisition costs get.

And with the recently-built express toll lanes in the median of I-75 being the expanded capacity on the I-75 roadway between the GA-155 and I-675 interchanges (expanded capacity which the State of Georgia has already spent a large chunk of its limited transportation budget on), the state most likely does not want to spend anymore money to expand capacity on the I-75 roadway north of the GA-155 interchange where it has already spent money to construct the toll lanes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or