U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2019, 07:31 AM

777 posts, read 387,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorwinder View Post
I'm a lifelong GA resident, (40 years) and I'm no longer a fan of Georgia. I have traveled to 21 states, but I know traveling somewhere is not the same as living there. I wished I had left a long time ago, but I kept making excuses to leave.

I have left and returned several times. The other side of the fence always looks greener, until you start investigating closer.

Quote:
North Georgia used to be nice, but as I said before, it's becoming very crowded. So many people are retiring there now, and hipsters have taken the place over. The locals are pissed about it and intimidate anyone with an out of county or state tag. I used to enjoy taking trip up there, now I avoid it like the plague. In the smaller towns south and east of Atlanta are DYING! I have family in an area North of Augusta, GA. As I travel trough some of the towns to visit them everything is becoming blighted. So many homes are for sale, many of them are vacant. A few years ago, a friend of mine came across a grand old house for sale in Montezuma, GA for $195,000. He couldn't believe the price and thought it was a misprint. I explained to him how Montezuma is not that great of an area hence the low price.

We lived in several towns (Dahlonega, Mineral Bluff, McCaysville-Blue Ridge) for many years. Every year it got more crowded. I was visiting friends up there last week and while they'd like to stay in the state, they and we (also) are concerned that all the half-backs from Fla are going to ruin it for everyone. The taxes keep rising and services are going down.

We moved to central Ga a few years ago and are awfully glad we did. While crime is higher, it's not exactly in our area of the county. Yes, the homes in Montezuma, Oglethorpe, Hawkinsville and Cochran are more affordable. My fav town down that way is Americus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
https://news.gallup.com/poll/168653/...aces-live.aspx

Gallup poll on how residents feel about their state as a place to live. Georgia is right in the middle at #25. 41% say it is one of the top places to live. Montana and Alaska were tied for #1 at 77%. Rhode Island was last at 18%.

Georgia was a little ahead of Alabama and South Carolina and a little behind Tennessee and Florida. North Carolina was down at #38.

That's interesting how all these polls and opinions have so few people (not captcha) actually voting on them. So let's look closer: Montana - has no sales tax; higher fuel taxes in the region; no break on personal or corp income taxes as compared to Alaska or Wyoming or South Dakota. Alaska has no income tax but everything costs double (one road - in and out) - it's either flown or goes by sea. Utah has seen a 12% rise in population mostly from Kali and west coast in general. Wyoming and South Dakota are both oil producing states (like Montana & Alaska); pump prices don't reflect that compared to Louisiana & Texas. Both WY & SD are bracing for more inbounds from the west coast, but are losing about the same number to other states - like GA & FL.

Nope, I worked in many of those states and I like Georgia better - MUCH BETTER.

Last edited by Beretta; 11-28-2019 at 08:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2019, 08:34 AM

4,630 posts, read 7,808,087 times
I'm about the polar opposite of OneDawg. I was born and raised in Wyoming, college in Montana, then WA, MD, NY, AZ, GA, AZ, WY, AK, CO, GA.... I've been around a bit and Vastly prefer the Rockies/Alaska. It's more costly out there, but that is the ONLY negative, absolutely Every other area of life is better.

But, when your wife feels obligated to be near her mother, you end up living where you'd never pick. We try to make the most of it, but mostly that's by leaving the region as frequently and as long as possible.

Old 11-28-2019, 08:51 AM

15,570 posts, read 28,269,572 times
Please keep this thread on the topic at hand. Also, remember that these surveys are designed to sell the media in which they are reported. Your miles may vary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia