Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2019, 02:22 PM

2 posts, read 1,265 times

Advertisements

Hello, we have been researching moving to Dalhonega, but are concerned that there isn't enough for kids to do without driving to Atlanta. It seems like has a beautiful main street, but there's only so many times you can visit a gold museum or the zoo.

We're impressed by the elementary school rankings for the most part, but are also concerned about what we've read about the middle school & high school.

We are debating visiting the area in a few weeks, but want to get some clarity beforehand. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2019, 11:07 PM

347 posts, read 380,090 times
I suppose the largest question is - what are you looking for in regards for kids to do?

That whole area + Dawsonville is exploding, but, it still is a rural suburban area.

Old 10-17-2019, 11:22 PM

1,709 posts, read 3,426,322 times
If you're more into outdoor things to do it can be great. At the foothills of the mountains. Lakes. Rivers. Outlet malls if that is your thing. Golf. Slower pace of life and a quaint downtown.

Old 10-18-2019, 05:42 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,057,844 times
I'm just curious... what do you think kids in Atlanta do?

They do the same thing kids in Los Angeles, Kansas City and Arab, Alabama do. They go to each other's houses, play on playgrounds, and run around. I don't think Atlanta offers anything really any suburban or exurban area doesn't, unless your kid is into something highly specific.

For adults... that's another story.

Old 10-21-2019, 08:13 PM

2 posts, read 1,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormhammer View Post
I suppose the largest question is - what are you looking for in regards for kids to do?

That whole area + Dawsonville is exploding, but, it still is a rural suburban area.
Where we live now we live close to a children's museum, science museum, places that offer music/art classes etc. Our son is younger so it would be nice to be close to activities like this especially during not so great weather.

Old 10-22-2019, 04:46 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,248,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugnpug View Post
Where we live now we live close to a children's museum, science museum, places that offer music/art classes etc. Our son is younger so it would be nice to be close to activities like this especially during not so great weather.
If that’s important then either drive to Atlanta or live closer to Atlanta and pay more for housing.

Old 10-22-2019, 05:30 AM

4,413 posts, read 3,472,468 times
Quote:

There's only so many times you can visit a children's museum and science museum, so really no difference.

I am sure there are art classes, sports teams, music lessons and such for kids in Dahlonega.

Old 10-26-2019, 07:04 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,993,273 times
I’d take small town life over Atlanta for my kids, any day. You can still take day trips to Atlanta if you want to go to the aquarium, etc.

For day to day quality of life, I’ve found that if you think the schools are adequate, then look at the sports programs for kids. If both those things are good, then your kids will be busy, and your family will be happy there.

For me, personally, if I were a kid, I’d sooner spend the weekend in my back yard, than in traffic and crowds at a museum in Atlanta.

Old 10-30-2019, 02:42 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,402,758 times
Quote:

Nope none of that near Dahlonega - we lived there for a year before moving further uphill. Dahlonega is a small community. Only thing going for it is the college and the old mines. Otherwise it's boring place to live. Too close to Gainesville and Lawrenceville to be enjoyable on the river - except on weekdays. We often found ourselves going further away for our recreation - up trail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia