U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2019, 07:09 AM

809 posts, read 288,320 times

Advertisements

Stacey Abrams is reportedly ready to take her passion for storytelling to the next level.

Abrams, the former minority leader in the Georgia House of Representatives who rose to national prominence during her 2018 gubernatorial bid, has signed with United Talent Agency, according to The Hollywood Reporter..."

FULL STORY: https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/..._news_headline

SOURCE: Atlanta Business Chronicle

Old 10-31-2019, 09:16 AM

8,587 posts, read 4,515,793 times
“Beyond politics, Abrams is an accomplished writer, penning eight romantic suspense novels under the nom de plume Selena Montgomery. Her self-help book "Lead From The Outside: How to Build Your Future and Make Real Change" was a New York Times best-seller.”

With all of this success why was she so much in debt?

Old 10-31-2019, 06:45 PM

658 posts, read 419,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
“Beyond politics, Abrams is an accomplished writer, penning eight romantic suspense novels under the nom de plume Selena Montgomery. Her self-help book "Lead From The Outside: How to Build Your Future and Make Real Change" was a New York Times best-seller.”

Because honorable people try to pay their debts if they can instead of declaring bankruptcy.

Old 10-31-2019, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thulsa View Post
Because honorable people try to pay their debts if they can instead of declaring bankruptcy.
I’m sure a bankruptcy would really increase her electability...

Old 11-04-2019, 07:58 AM

8,021 posts, read 12,556,389 times
Quote:
Because her father had cancer and she decided to pay his medical bills to the detriment of other bills. Lots of people find, even successful ones, find themselves in this situation all the time. In addition, she had massive student loan debt because she doesn't come from a rich family.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/stace...191600455.html

Old 11-04-2019, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Because her father had cancer and she decided to pay his medical bills to the detriment of other bills. Lots of people find, even successful ones, find themselves in this situation all the time. In addition, she had massive student loan debt because she doesn't come from a rich family.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/stace...191600455.html
So, to be clear -

She chose to attend a private college, an out of state public college, and an Ivy law school, none of which took advantage of Georgia’s Hope scholarship. Couldn’t she have stayed local and had most of her college paid for? She’s bright so probably would have been eligible for the Zell Miller.

She knew she had to pay her taxes but instead spent $53K on her father’s cancer treatment. Did he not have coverage as required by law? I know Georgia didn’t sign on to expanded Medicare which might have hurt her father’s situation.

My ultimate gripe isn’t that she has/had a ton of debt, because as you point out, many others do. It’s that she felt she could run for governor (a position which doesn’t exactly pay extremely well either) and not see that this was a negative. This doesn’t exclude Kemp either, who also had even bigger debts, just not revolving ones.

Old 11-04-2019, 01:00 PM

5,631 posts, read 3,711,018 times
Quote:
She chose to attend a private college, an out of state public college, and an Ivy law school, none of which took advantage of Georgia’s Hope scholarship. Couldn’t she have stayed local and had most of her college paid for? She’s bright so probably would have been eligible for the Zell Miller.
The HOPE scholarship was created after she was college aged. And in its first several years, HOPE scholarships were mostly only a few hundred dollars. Not exactly enough to change someone's life.

Quote:
She knew she had to pay her taxes but instead spent $53K on her father’s cancer treatment. Did he not have coverage as required by law?
When did he have cancer? Health insurance was required by law years ago? There are still tons of people with no insurance. And even when you have insurance, you still rack up thousands, even tens of thousands in bills over the years. Contrary to the popular belief of those who have great insurance through work, the typical insurance policy still gouges the individual for a significant portion of the bills. My wife's inpatient foot surgery earlier this year cost us thousands out of pocket even after insurance. Cancer? I cannot even imagine how much we'd be on the hook for.

Quote:
My ultimate gripe isn’t that she has/had a ton of debt, because as you point out, many others do. It’s that she felt she could run for governor (a position which doesn’t exactly pay extremely well either) and not see that this was a negative.
I'm sure she did see it as a negative. But maybe not enough to consider not running at all. I mean, she lost by only 55,000 votes (less than 2%), in an election on which her opponent controlled the election, and is widely regarded to have interfered with its process (republicans interfering with elections...who knew?). Let's not pretend that it was a blowout and that her debt had significant effects.

Old 11-04-2019, 01:09 PM

5,609 posts, read 4,582,996 times
Quote:
So, to be clear -

She knew she had to pay her taxes but instead spent $53K on her father’s cancer treatment. Did he not have coverage as required by law? I know Georgia didn’t sign on to expanded Medicare which might have hurt her father’s situation.

My ultimate gripe isn’t that she has/had a ton of debt, because as you point out, many others do. It’s that she felt she could run for governor (a position which doesn’t exactly pay extremely well either) and not see that this was a negative. This doesn’t exclude Kemp either, who also had even bigger debts, just not revolving ones.
People who debt-shame should feel lucky that they've never had to experience deep debt.

Old 11-05-2019, 06:25 AM

8,021 posts, read 12,556,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
People who debt-shame should feel lucky that they've never had to experience deep debt.
Totally, and it really irks me. If you didn't grow poor or struggle as an adult you have no base of reference for what it's like to have nothing. What it's like to get bill after bill and have no way of paying for it along with basics needs like food or electricity. What's most frustrating is that not all debt should be viewed in the same light.

Debt from through frivolous spending = bad
Debt from student loans = "good" since it was done with the thought of it paying off later
Debt from an unforeseen life event like terminal cancer = Unfortunate

It isn't rocket science.

Old 11-05-2019, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Totally, and it really irks me. If you didn't grow poor or struggle as an adult you have no base of reference for what it's like to have nothing. What it's like to get bill after bill and have no way of paying for it along with basics needs like food or electricity. What's most frustrating is that not all debt should be viewed in the same light.

Debt from through frivolous spending = bad
Debt from student loans = "good" since it was done with the thought of it paying off later
Debt from an unforeseen life event like terminal cancer = Unfortunate

It isn't rocket science.
I get amused by people who think providing criticism means it's about shaming. For the record I've lived part of my adult life in poverty, struggling to make ends meet. And by that I mean not knowing on the 20th of the month how I'm going to make my rent payment on the coming 1st. Not having food for days. I came to the US as an immigrant with something like $100 to my name.

I get her problems, I just don't get how she casually blew them off and ran for the highest office in the state.

BTW, thanks for the clarification of the HOPE scholarship timing. I wasn't aware of how new it was. You're right of course that it would have had zero impact on her education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia