U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2019, 01:15 AM

263 posts, read 174,895 times

Advertisements

Hi and need help from anyone that owns a pre 1961 car in Georgia. I know that they don't require titles from what I have read but do they have an Ad Valorem tax on these cars? How do they value a classic car and what % do they charge for classic cars if they charge at all? Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2019, 06:49 AM

4,633 posts, read 7,814,420 times
I just bought/registered a '66, made my claimed value at $1000, had a plate to reuse to save that cost and paid $39 for the first year. I had a title as the vehicle came from out of state (and if you have titles, you'll get replacements ~ it's just that one isn't Required pre 1985) so $20 of that was for the title.

Completely floored me as I could find zero information about any exceptions or exclusions for older cars, though I remember there being one back before the change to the current system. I'm not sure if it's because I'm in a rural county, or got a dumber than average DMV worker, or there is actually an exception. I've run newer cars through the system and paid more in taxes despite the same claimed price.

GA also allows Year-of-Manufacture license plate registration (plate from the same year as the car) that costs nothing extra and can be done anytime. So maybe older vehicles do get a little different treatment.

Old 12-07-2019, 06:49 AM

8,586 posts, read 4,508,200 times
I don’t have a pre-1961 car but don’t see an exception for them.

Note if you don’t pay the TAVT you’d be paying the annual taxes.

Did you try putting the details into the online calculator and see what it says? If it’s nearly fully depreciates and not valued like a classic car the TAVT might be the way to go.

Old 12-07-2019, 07:54 AM

4,633 posts, read 7,814,420 times
The online calculator doesn't work for older vehicles (there are Required fields that can not be populated for anything prior to 1980 based on testing I just did covering several makes), and to the best of my knowledge there is no way to get a New registration on a Yearly tax schedule (that has to be a vehicle that was grandfathered in, I had a couple of those for several years).

The only way to know for 100% is to try on the phone, lol.. good luck with that, or go in person. The written info provided to the general public simply says:
Quote:
If the vehicle is a used vehicle and not listed in state motor vehicle assessment manual, the fair market value will be the higher of (1) the value from the bill of sale or (2) the value listed in a used car market guide designated by the Commissioner of the Department of Revenue.

If that were true, I should have paid $70 on $1000 claimed purchase Plus the other fees (title, plate, DMV nose picking supplement), not the Actual $39 I did pay. But, like I said, I only bought the car a couple months back and haven't made it to next years renewal to see if it's more than the $20 my other vehicles run.

I also don't live in a smog area, so no clue if there are exceptions or requirements on that side of things.

Old 12-07-2019, 12:03 PM

8,586 posts, read 4,508,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
I also don't live in a smog area, so no clue if there are exceptions or requirements on that side of things.
I think there would be no smog issues given there is no emissions equipment on a classic car.

Old 12-08-2019, 11:36 PM

263 posts, read 174,895 times
Thanks so much for the info!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or