U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-09-2019, 05:08 PM
 
9 posts, read 1,667 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Hi all, My husband and I are young, active seniors. We are relocating from Fairfield County Connecticut (lived there for 40 years). We are used to being very close to a small town and love all that a small, quaint town has to offer. Our CT area had quite a bit of traffic, especially on I-95, but not excessive within our town. We have been looking for a community that feels like ''home." Is that possible here in Georgia? We are boaters and love Lake Lanier, but are afraid the area is too busy and there is no small town to walk to. Does anyone have suggestions for us. Would we be better off around the Lake Oconee area? Oh, and money is a bit of an issue since we are living on social security. Cannot spend more than $400,000 on a single family home. We would greatly appreciate any guidance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-09-2019, 05:17 PM
 
Location: Columbus, GA and Brookhaven, GA
4,356 posts, read 6,235,333 times
Reputation: 1043
Quote:
Originally Posted by moko7236790 View Post
Hi all, My husband and I are young, active seniors. We are relocating from Fairfield County Connecticut (lived there for 40 years). We are used to being very close to a small town and love all that a small, quaint town has to offer. Our CT area had quite a bit of traffic, especially on I-95, but not excessive within our town. We have been looking for a community that feels like ''home." Is that possible here in Georgia? We are boaters and love Lake Lanier, but are afraid the area is too busy and there is no small town to walk to. Does anyone have suggestions for us. Would we be better off around the Lake Oconee area? Oh, and money is a bit of an issue since we are living on social security. Cannot spend more than $400,000 on a single family home. We would greatly appreciate any guidance!
Have you considered living in the North Georgia Mountains? Lake Blue Ridge is beautiful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2019, 05:28 PM
 
9 posts, read 1,667 times
Reputation: 10
Thank you. We did visit Dahlonega and loved the town but are having difficulty finding a home in the area. We would like to be in a community. I googled Lake Blue Ridge and it sure is beautiful; wondering is there more to do then just enjoying the lake?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2019, 05:42 PM
 
6,336 posts, read 5,819,116 times
Reputation: 4390
Quote:
Originally Posted by moko7236790 View Post
Thank you. We did visit Dahlonega and loved the town but are having difficulty finding a home in the area. We would like to be in a community. I googled Lake Blue Ridge and it sure is beautiful; wondering is there more to do then just enjoying the lake?
That area (and that part of the country in general in the Blue Ridge Mountains/Southern Appalachians region of North Georgia/Western North Carolina/Eastern Tennessee) is known largely as an area to enjoy outdoor activities (hiking, camping, golf, etc.).

And the various larger small towns and small cities in the area often have community activities like fairs (like the Georgia Mountain Fair in Hiawassee, etc.) and festivals that one can enjoy.

And the town of Blue Ridge in particular has a lively downtown with many great restaurants and shops and community activities.

There are also many apple and wine orchards throughout the greater North Georgia region (and beyond into Western North Carolina and Eastern Tennessee) that one can visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2019, 05:48 PM
 
9 posts, read 1,667 times
Reputation: 10
Thank you for all this great information; we will definitely take a look there. It sounds amazing!

Last edited by moko7236790; 12-09-2019 at 05:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2019, 05:55 PM
 
6,336 posts, read 5,819,116 times
Reputation: 4390
Quote:
Originally Posted by moko7236790 View Post
Hi all, My husband and I are young, active seniors. We are relocating from Fairfield County Connecticut (lived there for 40 years). We are used to being very close to a small town and love all that a small, quaint town has to offer. Our CT area had quite a bit of traffic, especially on I-95, but not excessive within our town. We have been looking for a community that feels like ''home." Is that possible here in Georgia? We are boaters and love Lake Lanier, but are afraid the area is too busy and there is no small town to walk to. Does anyone have suggestions for us. Would we be better off around the Lake Oconee area? Oh, and money is a bit of an issue since we are living on social security. Cannot spend more than $400,000 on a single family home. We would greatly appreciate any guidance!
If you want a small town feel near Lake Lanier, look around areas like Buford (which has a really nice downtown village area) and Flowery Branch...two areas that are very close to the shores of Lake Lanier.

Gainesville is a bigger town (small city), but with a small town feel, especially in the city's historic downtown area.

Each of the three areas named around Lake Lanier has a growing degree of suburban development encroaching on and even overtaking their areas because of their close proximity to Atlanta... But each of the three areas are good places to live where there are lots of amenities in close proximity to Lake Lanier.

Lake Oconee would be a good area to look in as well, though one will not find anywhere near the amount of amenities that one will find near Lake Lanier because of the relative geographical isolation of the Lake Oconee area (in east-central Georgia in a rural area partway between Atlanta and Augusta).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2019, 08:54 AM
 
639 posts, read 402,179 times
Reputation: 2100
Have you thought about living on the coast?
Charleston, Beaufort, Savannah, and Brunswick areas come to mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2019, 11:38 AM
 
Location: Ono Island, Orange Beach, AL
10,112 posts, read 9,679,370 times
Reputation: 5752
Quote:
Originally Posted by moko7236790 View Post
Thank you. We did visit Dahlonega and loved the town but are having difficulty finding a home in the area. We would like to be in a community. I googled Lake Blue Ridge and it sure is beautiful; wondering is there more to do then just enjoying the lake?
Hi, moko! My wife and I had a house in Blue Ridge for about 10 years. It is a fabulous place - as you noted, the Lake is gorgeous. Additionally, there are very scenic trails, the National Forest, water falls and plenty of more outdoor activities in the area. Downtown Blue Ridge is chock full of great restaurants, cute boutiques, etc. We truly loved it there. Good luck!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2019, 07:46 PM
 
9 posts, read 1,667 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thulsa View Post
Have you thought about living on the coast?
Charleston, Beaufort, Savannah, and Brunswick areas come to mind.
Thank you for your post. I have always been an ocean lover, and even relocated to the Gulf Coast for a year. However, with the emergence of the red tide and blue green algae issues, we have decided to love lake living and it's hard not to with the beautiful lakes in Georgia.

As far as the Atlantic, we LOVE the Atlantic, but looked over there (except for Brunswick) and checked those areas off our list.

I would still appreciate any advice! Thank you all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2019, 07:53 PM
 
9 posts, read 1,667 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
If you want a small town feel near Lake Lanier, look around areas like Buford (which has a really nice downtown village area) and Flowery Branch...two areas that are very close to the shores of Lake Lanier.

Gainesville is a bigger town (small city), but with a small town feel, especially in the city's historic downtown area.

Each of the three areas named around Lake Lanier has a growing degree of suburban development encroaching on and even overtaking their areas because of their close proximity to Atlanta... But each of the three areas are good places to live where there are lots of amenities in close proximity to Lake Lanier.

Lake Oconee would be a good area to look in as well, though one will not find anywhere near the amount of amenities that one will find near Lake Lanier because of the relative geographical isolation of the Lake Oconee area (in east-central Georgia in a rural area partway between Atlanta and Augusta).

This is all very relevant! We are going to take a ride down to Madison/Greensboro (Lake Oconee) to take a look. It seems like there is less traffic - more like home without all the Walmarts, etc. Hoping to find an active community and then we can enjoy all the lake has to offer and be fairly close to Atlanta. We need to check it all out! Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top