U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2019, 10:44 AM

1,666 posts, read 1,256,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingtorelocate33 View Post
I am starting to explore the possibility of relocating my family to the northern Georgia area (among others) and was hoping to get some advice from others. Ideally we are looking for the following (in no particular order):

1. Good schools - Specifically we are looking at high schools (kids will be out of middle school by the time we relocate). We are not opposed to private schools but would definitely prefer public if possible.
2. Within an hour of jobs. I work in finance and my wife works in education.
3. Decent cost of living - We will be relocating from Chicago so I am sure most area would be better than here. Taxes, housing and gas here are all high.
4. More rustic area - Ideally we would like a wooded area with some hilly topography (northern Illinois is SO flat). Family likes to be in nature (fires at the firepit, swimming in the pool, hiking, fishing, camping, etc).
5. Not overly congested.
6. Housing - Homes between $250k - $500k.
7. Safe and clean
8. Better climate - We hate the cold, long winters of Chicago. My wife loves the beach so a move to Georgia would also put us closer to beaches.
9. Small-town feel would be an added bonus (holiday events, festivals, quaint downtown area, etc).

Do any areas in northern Georgia fir this? Thanks in advance!
Question, just want to make sure I understand you fully. You are asking about N. Georgia (as in the N. Georgia mountainous region), not N. Georgia (as in the northern Atl suburbs that are desireable with good schools, but entirely suburban).

If you are talking about northern Atlanta, I'd maybe considers a Woodstock or Cartersville, as they offer a small town feel while still being connected to job centers of Atlanta.

If you are talking about the mountainous region, which is beautiful but might put you 1.5-2hrs from ATL job centers at rush hour, places like Elijay, Jasper, Blue Ridge, and Dahlonega would be good options. Heck, even a Dawsonville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2019, 01:47 PM

6,397 posts, read 5,848,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
Question, just want to make sure I understand you fully. You are asking about N. Georgia (as in the N. Georgia mountainous region), not N. Georgia (as in the northern Atl suburbs that are desireable with good schools, but entirely suburban).

If you are talking about northern Atlanta, I'd maybe considers a Woodstock or Cartersville, as they offer a small town feel while still being connected to job centers of Atlanta.

If you are talking about the mountainous region, which is beautiful but might put you 1.5-2hrs from ATL job centers at rush hour, places like Elijay, Jasper, Blue Ridge, and Dahlonega would be good options. Heck, even a Dawsonville.
With the OP's inquiries and references to "good public high schools," a stated desire to be within an hour of jobs in finance/accounting, and a stated desire to live in a "more rustic area" that is wooded and hilly, I kind of got the idea that the OP was asking about most of North Georgia...

… That's including both the entire North Atlanta suburbs/exurbs (where most jobs are located in/near areas of the state's best public high schools) and much of the entire North Georgia Mountains region (which would provide the OP with access to the rustic, small town feel that they are looking for).

… So I pretty much tried to describe to them many of the living, working and public education options that might be available to them throughout much of North Georgia, roughly north of a line that follows along US 278, I-20 and US 78 from Cedartown in the west to Athens in the east.

All of your suggestions, in particular (Woodstock, Cartersville, Ellijay, Jasper, Blue Ridge, Dahlonega and Dawsonville) are excellent suggestions of places for the OP to look for housing.

Though with traffic being such a major concern, especially in some of the more suburban counties that are closer to Atlanta (like North Fulton/Forsyth, Cobb/Cherokee and Gwinnett), the OP most likely would be best advised to find jobs and know where they will be commuting to and from for work before committing to purchase a home.

I guess that the OP could use the excellent information provided to them on this thread as kind of a guide of where to look for housing after being hired to jobs and knowing where they will be commuting to and from for work each day.

Old 01-06-2020, 12:45 PM

250 posts, read 165,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
I'm going to be watching as well.... There is an ongoing discussion going on at the local level about how to quell the ongoing onslaught we are now having here in N.GA. We are growing at a rate that is just too fast to sustain. Our roads are at full capacity, our natural beauty is being destroyed, and even in our little community crime is on the upswing.
So true. Its so important to preserve our little N. GA town it is really a privilege to live here it is like a step back in time. I hope the county can get a handle on the growth and the crime trend is not good. This makes me sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or