Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2020, 11:01 PM

298 posts, read 300,332 times

Advertisements

Hi:
My friend wants to buy a residential property in GA. And also would like to register a car to stay with the GA property. He is a snow bird and will only be in GA about five months out of the year. His drivers license is not a GA license it is from a different state. Can he register the car to stay with the property in GA? I thought I read GA gives you 30 days to register your car but he doesn't have a GA drivers license and cannot give up his out of state residency.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2020, 11:52 PM

3,999 posts, read 4,118,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicCarFamily View Post
Hi:
My friend wants to buy a residential property in GA. And also would like to register a car to stay with the GA property. He is a snow bird and will only be in GA about five months out of the year. His drivers license is not a GA license it is from a different state. Can he register the car to stay with the property in GA? I thought I read GA gives you 30 days to register your car but he doesn't have a GA drivers license and cannot give up his out of state residency.
Yes. We own property in two states and Union County told us we could legally purchase and register one car here associated with this property. It will need Georgia insurance though through a Georgia agent. We didn't have a problem with that either as we have two agents, one for FL and one for GA with the same insurance company.

Old 01-05-2020, 04:19 PM

Thank you for your answer. Will the DMV in GA do the same thing if my friend is bringing in a car from out of state? That is not licensed in GA. Is your primary state the other state or is it GA?

Old 01-06-2020, 02:24 AM

3,999 posts, read 4,118,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicCarFamily View Post
Thank you for your answer. Will the DMV in GA do the same thing if my friend is bringing in a car from out of state? That is not licensed in GA. Is your primary state the other state or is it GA?
I can't answer that, as we bought here in Georgia, paid GA tax, licensed and insured all here in GA. I'd have him contact the local licensing agency to make sure. Primary state is FL due to business back there but I spend as much time as possible here to be closer to family in Atlanta, so having a GA vehicle was paramount and has worked out extremely well.

Old 01-06-2020, 01:19 PM

I called the licensing office today. They said you can keep your out of state DL but you can register only one car. Just make sure you have the title and GA car insurance proof when you go to the licensing office. Also you have to pay a 3% tax. If there is anyone else looking at this thread I hope the info might be helpful. Thanks to other posters that have replied
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
View detailed profiles of: