U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 09:54 PM

44 posts, read 222,655 times

Advertisements

I would appreciate some feedback on Statesboro and Dublin. All in all, which would be a better move? I know that Statesboro has Georgia Southern University and is about an hour from Savannah. Also, Dublin is about 45 minutes from Macon and has a good hospital. We don't have children so schools aren't an issue and we are looking for a small town with lucrative business opportunities and reasonable cost of living. We want to be near good hospitals, good grocery stores and friendly people. Also, a low crime rate would be preferred. Thanks for the feedback.........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2008, 05:48 AM

78 posts, read 338,831 times
I grew up in Dublin. My family is still there. I can't compare it to Statesboro because I am not real familiar with it, other than it being a college town.

I am not sure how successful you will be finding lucrative business opportunities in Dublin. I guess that depends on what lucrative means to you. As far as cost of living, it is not that much lower than where we are, Kennesaw, GA. I think house prices are pretty much equal to what they are up here, for comparable homes.

Good Luck and I hope others can help you with more information!

Old 04-23-2008, 06:41 PM

67 posts, read 213,942 times
I went to college at Georgia Southern and I just recently went back and was amazed at the growth. It's a great little town if you can handle all of the college students - which the town pretty much revolves around. I would say go and visit both cities and see how they feel to you.

Old 04-26-2008, 10:23 AM

177 posts, read 176,551 times
Dublin hands down.....

Old 08-01-2008, 11:54 AM

2 posts, read 10,822 times
Default Relocate to Dublin

If you are in need of housing, we have a fsbo beautifully renovated brick home in the heart of town. Close to shopping and schools. If interested, please email me. Thanks

[email]dolynana@gmail.com[/email]

Old 08-13-2008, 02:01 PM

2 posts, read 13,336 times
Dublin !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-13-2008, 02:10 PM

23,120 posts, read 36,858,661 times
They are both very nice towns. I don't think you can make a bad choice here.

Old 08-15-2008, 01:44 PM

1,072 posts, read 1,668,411 times
Really both are decent choices.. but I think Statesboro has more to offer with the presence of the university... and its less than an hours drive from Savannah.

Old 09-12-2008, 01:42 PM

65 posts, read 346,830 times
Dublin to me is a little depressing. I definitely wouldn't stop there late at night. Although it does have a decent mall, a new Wal-mart, and some decent chain restaurants. I guess it's one of those things where if you grew up there, you love it to death, but if not, it's probably culture shock.

Statesboro, on the other hand, is a nice medium-sized college town with much more life and less bad areas. It location puts you 45 minutes from the Savannah area and I-95, which gives you access to the beautiful lowcountry and beaches of that region, as well.

Old 09-13-2008, 06:03 AM

1,178 posts, read 3,516,718 times
I would think that Dublin is more of a family environment, while Statesboro, although not totally dominated by the university, has a much younger population, and is not apt to be as "family friendly".

Benefits of Dublin:

1. Closer to Macon and Atlanta
2. Nice, peaceful environment, though not incredibly small.
3. Large enough to sustain some shopping and decent restaurants.

Benefits of Statesboro:

1. If you're into college sports, the university is nearby.
2. Close drive to Savannah and the beach.
3. Many of your typical chain sit-down restaurants.

Negatives of Statesboro:

1. For some it can be a negative: college kids renting in your neighborhood, not keeping the homes in good condition.
2. A large, transient college-aged population. (a negative for some)

(Possible) Negatives of Dublin:

Nearby East Dublin is home to the annual "Redneck Games". Some people might be a little turned off by events such as "Mud puddle belly flopping", "Hubcap toss", and "Watermelon seed spitting".

Last edited by Scraper Enthusiast; 09-13-2008 at 06:27 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia